Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like athletes will be able to transfer freely soon

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Looks like athletes will be able to transfer freely soon

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    They can do that now. It's called JUCOs. Some schools like K-State use that route quite a bit and those pipelines aren't going away. If Minnesota wants to raid NDSU/SDSU/etc then there's going to be a lot of athletes looking to transfer out of Minnesota as well because there just aren't enough scholarships to go around. The best programs at our level will adapt like they always have and the NDSUs and Montanas of the FCS will still have access to better players than the Indiana States of the FCS. Bottom line is in the end Minnesota will still be a bad B1G program and NDSU will still be an elite FCS program no matter how many players transfer into or out of each.
    That's true, but the quality of football will suffer. NDSU may still dominate FCS but they will no longer be competitive with P5 schools, including Minnesota.

I don't like the sound of this. I get the idea of giving players more freedom compared to coaching staffs that can leave for greener pastures. Is a move this drastic really warranted though.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I don't think this will be nearly as big of a deal as some of you will. To me this will lead moreso to less FBS drop downs to the FCS but there's still only so many scholarships/roster spots on FBS teams. The P5 can't hoard all the FBS transfers and recruit the cream of the crop of the lower divisions as well along with signing the max of 25 scholarship kids per class each year. I think the fact that players will be allowed to transfer without penalty from FBS to FBS will ease the impact this has on FCS players moving up. There will probably be more than there was before but I highly doubt it'll lead to mass A(D2)/AA(FCS)/AAA(G5) "call ups" to P5 schools.
    Programs that don't develop players and rely on transfers will be hurt by this. Programs like us that don't go the transfer route will not be impacted any way shape or form. What do we get like 1 transfer every year or so and when we do get a transfer it's usually from a D2 program. We don't even go the juco route because only 1 out 10 seem to pan out. Our last juco never started a game and got kicked off the team.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Programs that don't develop players and rely on transfers will be hurt by this. Programs like us that don't go the transfer route will not be impacted any way shape or form. What do we get like 1 transfer every year or so and when we do get a transfer it's usually from a D2 program.
    This could definitely impact ndsu. Some guys might be excited to get a chance to go to an FBS school.
    College of Business Alumnus

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

This is going to hurt teams like the JMUs, Jacksonville States and Illinois States...they won't get as many FBS transfers since sitting out a year isn't a factor anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    This could definitely impact ndsu. Some guys might be excited to get a chance to go to an FBS school.
    Not generally the guys we'd recruit. Easton Stick could probably call Scott Frost up right now and get a scholarship.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    Not generally the guys we'd recruit. Easton Stick could probably call Scott Frost up right now and get a scholarship.
    Not anymore. He's in the MBA program.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedYellow View Post
    Not anymore. He's in the MBA program.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    That was an incomplete thought, this is kind of what I meant. These rules aren't necessarily keeping the kids here. In fact, it will probably keep more here because the G5 likely has more of those kids that they'll pick before the FCS.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    not so much. As stated its not the type of guy we recruite and its really contrary to our system culture.

you could possible make an argument about depth, but again not likely.

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    Yeah, but would Stick have gone to Nebraska in 2016 if he had the chance? DeLuca? Maybe not, but I have no doubt that we'd lose many of our best players. The culture of FCS football would change, and I don't believe tradition alone could stop that. Remember NDSU doesn't get many players right now that receive FBS offers, and the fact they get any at all is an anomaly in FCS.