Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Looks like athletes will be able to transfer freely soon

steelbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Looks like athletes will be able to transfer freely soon

Quote Originally Posted by 2011BisonAlumni View Post
    I think if anything, more coaches will see generational talents like Jabril as a risk and they will play them as true freshman.

I'd rather have 4 years of production than 3 any day.
    True, but if this rule was in place Cox would have been gone after his Sophomore year. This will absolutely ruin football at NDSU If this was in place right now and a kid from Florida like Watson all of a sudden was being recruited by The Gators or FSU he wouldn't be gone? My guess he would be on the first flight out. A lot of these kids have dreams to play FBS football. No one we can complete with schools like LSU Alabama Florida ect ect ect

steelbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    There's plenty of consequences. There's all sorts of dynamics in dealing with a new area, a new school, a new coaching staff, and a new team that potential transfer need to (or at least should) think long and hard about. It's just like moving or switching jobs in real life. The grass isn't always greener on the other side but I don't think it's fair to the student-athletes to put in penalties that restrict their ability to find a better situation if they don't like the one they're in.

As far as making a commitment goes I'd be less supportive of this rule if scholarships were 4/5 year commitments from the school but scholarships are year-to-year and they're not always renewed. The student-athlete shouldn't be penalized for transferring before they've graduated if the school isn't penalized for not renewing their scholarship. Similarly, if a player is on a partial scholarship or no scholarship at his current school and there's other schools willing to give him a scholarship I think he should be able to pursue that.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the bolded.

Does it ruin softball and golf and track & field and soccer? Doesn't the school make investments in those athletes as well? They can all transfer without penalty prior to graduation right now and have been able to for years.
    Comparing non-revenue to revenue sports is apples to oranges. Imagine the drop off in interest and attendance at NDSU if their best players can be taken at anytime without penalty. Also imagine trying to be a coach in those situations. good luck with that

Quote Originally Posted by steelbison View Post
    Comparing non-revenue to revenue sports is apples to oranges. Imagine the drop off in interest and attendance at NDSU if their best players can be taken at anytime without penalty. Also imagine trying to be a coach in those situations. good luck with that
    Kentucky basketball seems to be just fine.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

CalBison97 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Kentucky basketball seems to be just fine.
    Are you comparing Kentucky basketball to NDSU football?
    Stand your ground, have a tough hide, roam wild and free, have a strong spirit, let the chips fall where they may.

Look on the bright side. Some very good players might be transferring to NDSU.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Look on the bright side. Some very good players might be transferring to NDSU.
    lol.....NDSU would get leftovers that any FBS team didn't want? We are already better as a team than all but the top 30 FBS teams. Many of our players could play FBS, but they want to be a Bison. There is nothing good that will happen to NDSU from a transfer any time without penalty. Just like the DII reduction in scholarships this will help end the dynasty. And how nice, we get to be a feeder system to the high and mighty P5 teams. Sad times.

True, but if this rule was in place Cox would have been gone after his Sophomore year. This will absolutely ruin football at NDSU If this was in place right now and a kid from Florida like Watson all of a sudden was being recruited by The Gators or FSU he wouldn't be gone? My guess he would be on the first flight out. A lot of these kids have dreams to play FBS football. No one we can complete with schools like LSU Alabama Florida ect ect ect
    Very true. I agree 100%.

Again, how very true. These kids are not professionals, they are college kids. I can't believe how many people want college kids to be like free agents. So much bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    lol.....NDSU would get leftovers that any FBS team didn't want? We are already better as a team than all but the top 30 FBS teams. Many of our players could play FBS, but they want to be a Bison. There is nothing good that will happen to NDSU from a transfer any time without penalty. Just like the DII reduction in scholarships this will help end the dynasty. And how nice, we get to be a feeder system to the high and mighty P5 teams. Sad times.
    So why can’t the rest of the FCS be a feeder program for NDSU then?

Quote Originally Posted by SamsRams View Post
    So why can’t the rest of the FCS be a feeder program for NDSU then?
    Why would you want that? Losing players on the one side would suck and then to have to pick up some individual to replace who is likely more worried about his personal benefits than the team. You have it all wrong. The reason the Bison are successful is the TEAM. If this happens NDSU will lose much of their support for football.