Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like athletes will be able to transfer freely soon

Default Re: Looks like athletes will be able to transfer freely soon

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    You could be right, but does that tell us how many guys we recruited but didn't bother to offer because they had FBS interest? In any case, I don't think I'm wrong that NDSU is an anomaly in FCS in their ability to get FBS recruits. Sure there are a few others here and there, but nothing like what NDSU is able to do.
    i think we are in agreement....yes. ndsu is an fbs program playing in the fcs....an anomaly as a lot of fbs team are really fcs programs.

Yeah, but would Stick have gone to Nebraska in 2016 if he had the chance? DeLuca? Maybe not, but I have no doubt that we'd lose many of our best players. The culture of FCS football would change, and I don't believe tradition alone could stop that. Remember NDSU doesn't get many players right now that receive FBS offers, and the fact they get any at all is an anomaly in FCS.
    It's not going to happen much with our stars. It takes time to learn a new system. Take a guy like Nick DeLuca. Let's say he left his junior year after being a buck buchanon award candidate? (pre injury) Then com his senior year where he's already projected as draft pick, a BB candidate, and move to a new team and have the same knowledge level of the defense as a true freshman? Would have been the dumbest decision ever. As of now he's a national champion, playing in the good shrine game and was invited to the NFL combine. If he does well he will get drafted and have a chance to make millions despite an injury. What would have happened if he went to a power 5 school and didn't win the starting role right away or spends half his time there learning a brand new system so he's thinking instead of playing fast?

Stick going to Nebraska when he will be the big name in the FCS. Seems about as brilliant as Vernon Adams going to Oregon. Where is he playing again? Canada. And he's also extremely disliked in Cheney now.

I think you may see players who are redshirt freshman, sophmores or juniors not getting playing time transfer when they don't see the field. Besides we don't recruit 5 star athletes. We develop them and it takes time.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

I say if they don't want to be here don't let the door hit ya on the way out. Don't think this will have much impact on us.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    I say if they don't want to be here don't let the door hit ya on the way out. Don't think this will have much impact on us.
    agree our culture dictates playing for the guy next to you and before you....we attract those type of folks and those type of folks dont typically jump ship for indvidual gain

Yeah, but would Stick have gone to Nebraska in 2016 if he had the chance? DeLuca? Maybe not, but I have no doubt that we'd lose many of our best players. The culture of FCS football would change, and I don't believe tradition alone could stop that. Remember NDSU doesn't get many players right now that receive FBS offers, and the fact they get any at all is an anomaly in FCS.
    where have been?

Its not an anomaly, many teams in FCS sign players every year with FBS offers, not just NDSU, its more common than you think
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

This new rule would be a clear advantage to programs that take advantage of the opportunity to bring in players that fall thru the recruiting cracks or simply developed quickly and unexpectedly after high school. NDSU is more apt to lose from this than gain as it has a history of taking care of its own and avoiding the transfer-in players. NDSU has a great team culture, but rest assured, every once in a while a big surprise will hit them in the face. Schools like Alabama, Clemson etc... where many players are two years and gone will reap the harvest from this new ruling, AAA ball mentality as a quick stepping stone to the NFL. EX: A Jabril Cox type player after his sophomore season.

With this rule Goedert and Weineki could have actually became champions...

good discussion on 1660 about this right now

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW IT ALL View Post
    This new rule would be a clear advantage to programs that take advantage of the opportunity to bring in players that fall thru the recruiting cracks or simply developed quickly and unexpectedly after high school. NDSU is more apt to lose from this than gain as it has a history of taking care of its own and avoiding the transfer-in players. NDSU has a great team culture, but rest assured, every once in a while a big surprise will hit them in the face. Schools like Alabama, Clemson etc... where many players are two years and gone will reap the harvest from this new ruling, AAA ball mentality as a quick stepping stone to the NFL. EX: A Jabril Cox type player after his sophomore season.
    They have to be out of high school a min of 3 years. Most will have played 3 years if they are that good.

Quote Originally Posted by wagsabison View Post
    They have to be out of high school a min of 3 years. Most will have played 3 years if they are that good.
    The three year stipulation will help a lot. Although I could see a kid win a couple FCS titles and decide to try and add an FBS title to his resume as well. I could never blame a top talent from taking a one year deal from a school like Alabama as a stepping stone to a future NFL deal.