Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Looks like athletes will be able to transfer freely soon

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Looks like athletes will be able to transfer freely soon

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    All college programs are just farm systems already.
    NDSU is not currently a farm system for anyone. Guys are basically here for the 4 years expected in a collegiate career. I think I somewhat understand your argument but I don’t see how it’s equivalent. The NFL doesn’t ruin college football. This happening would hurt college ball, particularly the “mid-majors.” Bama and co lose some guys early but they also get first dibs on the best recruits, and would then also have dibs on the few top guys that slipped through the cracks. NDSU gets and develops an occasional big time talent. Change the rules and we’ll lose those guys
    Last edited by ZHerd; 03-04-2020 at 04:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHerd View Post
    NDSU is not currently a farm system for anyone. Guys are basically here for the 4 years expected in a collegiate career. I think I somewhat understand your argument but I don’t see how it’s equivalent. The NFL doesn’t ruin college football. This happening would hurt college ball, particularly the “mid-majors.” Bama and co lose some guys early but they also get first dibs on the best recruits, and would then also have dibs on the few top guys that slipped through the cracks. NDSU gets and develops an occasional big time talent. Change the rules and we’ll lose those guys
    I know where you're coming from. You give time and effort to the NDSU athletic department through the resources spent supporting the program. But what about the time and effort given to the athletic department by the student athletes? Shouldn't they have the same choice you do on how they allocate their time and energy? Circumstances change for some guys. Whether it's coaching changes or them just realizing that they didn't actually buy what was sold in the recruiting process I think they should have the ability to find a better situation for themselves as well. Some guys will still transfer for the wrong reasons but I think it's a pretty good compromise to allow a one-time penalty free transfer without punishing a guy for breaking some kind of hypothetical contract he supposedly signed as a 17/18 year old.
    Last edited by Professor Chaos; 03-04-2020 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    Meh, there actually exists a potential that we start getting 3 years of amazing production from even more talented guys coming here if this really were to become a trend. Consider it similar to how we attract great coaches.
    I think if anything, more coaches will see generational talents like Jabril as a risk and they will play them as true freshman.

I'd rather have 4 years of production than 3 any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I know where you're coming from. You give time and effort to the NDSU athletic department through the resources spent supporting the program. But what about the time and effort given to the athletic department by the student athletes? Shouldn't they have the same choice you do on how you allocate their time and energy? Circumstances change for some guys. Whether it's coaching changes or them just realizing that they didn't actually buy what was sold in the recruiting process I think they should have the ability to find a better situation for themselves as well. Some guys will still transfer for the wrong reasons but I think it's a pretty good compromise to allow a one-time penalty free transfer without punishing a guy for breaking some kind of hypothetical contract he supposedly signed as an 17/18 year old.
    So your saying that they should have no consequence for their decision. They can change now but there is a cost of having to sit out a year and as I see it that is the way it should be. In life major decisions have consequences and when the consequences are eliminated or minimized the decisions are no longer major. Where a student athlete decides to play and study should always be a major decision for them. It should require a commitment from both the institution and the player.

I know where you're coming from. You give time and effort to the NDSU athletic department through the resources spent supporting the program. But what about the time and effort given to the athletic department by the student athletes? Shouldn't they have the same choice you do on how they allocate their time and energy? Circumstances change for some guys. Whether it's coaching changes or them just realizing that they didn't actually buy what was sold in the recruiting process I think they should have the ability to find a better situation for themselves as well. Some guys will still transfer for the wrong reasons but I think it's a pretty good compromise to allow a one-time penalty free transfer without punishing a guy for breaking some kind of hypothetical contract he supposedly signed as a 17/18 year old.

If a kid commits imo he definitely owes more than a year. Look at the time, money, effort put into him his redshirt year (most do redshirt for us) and then some P5 scavenges him off after he has a good year. It will ruin our level of football. We go into an offseason with a handful of guys we look forward to seeing and absolutely FBS schools would love to have those guys. I know you think this is an overreaction but it isn’t. Schools like NDSU in particular will be killed by this. We already have to work harder to find and develop P5 caliber players and with that rule change we will just be developing them for someone else. We find, recruit and develop the “diamond in the rough” guys for P5 schools and Kramer essentially becomes a P5 employee...oh yay. They should pay us for recruiting and player development if this happens. It will absolutely suck. That isn’t fair to smaller programs. I’m sorry but this isn’t all about the kid and his wants and dreams. There are a slough of other people involved and they matter as well. This rule will make us a farm team. If people are ok with that based simply on what a kid desires so be it but it really isnt just. I wonder if it couldn’t be tempered a little (only upperclassmen have the option) though I wish they would just keep the rule as is.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

What would you all think of something like this. Keep the current rules in place for a student athlete transferring down. For a student athlete transferring within division or transferring up, the school who loses the athlete receives an extra scholarship paid for by the school the SA is transferring to. AND the school being transferred to loses a scholarship. The team losing the player now has two open scholarships (only having to pay out for one), the team gaining the player is filling a scholarship with the transferring player but also losing one. These rules wouldn't apply to any SAs who are transferring from a school suffering a coaching change. Also if the student sits a year, like is the current rule, no scholarship is exchanged.

Example: John Doe is a stud sophomore QB at Jacksonville State. He wants to try improve his draft stock so enters the transfer portal. Auburn just graduated a QB and doesn't have much waiting in the wings. Auburn sees John Doe's film and thinks "hey, we might have something here" and starts talks with John Doe about being a Tiger. John Doe and Auburn agree, JSU is frustrated but now are working with an extra scholarship for the next year being paid for by Auburn. Auburn is down to 84 scholarships, but paying for all 85.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    So your saying that they should have no consequence for their decision. They can change now but there is a cost of having to sit out a year and as I see it that is the way it should be. In life major decisions have consequences and when the consequences are eliminated or minimized the decisions are no longer major. Where a student athlete decides to play and study should always be a major decision for them. It should require a commitment from both the institution and the player.
    There's plenty of consequences. There's all sorts of dynamics in dealing with a new area, a new school, a new coaching staff, and a new team that potential transfer need to (or at least should) think long and hard about. It's just like moving or switching jobs in real life. The grass isn't always greener on the other side but I don't think it's fair to the student-athletes to put in penalties that restrict their ability to find a better situation if they don't like the one they're in.

As far as making a commitment goes I'd be less supportive of this rule if scholarships were 4/5 year commitments from the school but scholarships are year-to-year and they're not always renewed. The student-athlete shouldn't be penalized for transferring before they've graduated if the school isn't penalized for not renewing their scholarship. Similarly, if a player is on a partial scholarship or no scholarship at his current school and there's other schools willing to give him a scholarship I think he should be able to pursue that.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHerd View Post
    If a kid commits imo he definitely owes more than a year. Look at the time, money, effort put into him his redshirt year (most do redshirt for us) and then some P5 scavenges him off after he has a good year. It will ruin our level of football. We go into an offseason with a handful of guys we look forward to seeing and absolutely FBS schools would love to have those guys. I know you think this is an overreaction but it isn’t. Schools like NDSU in particular will be killed by this. We already have to work harder to find and develop P5 caliber players and with that rule change we will just be developing them for someone else. We find, recruit and develop the “diamond in the rough” guys for P5 schools and Kramer essentially becomes a P5 employee...oh yay. They should pay us for recruiting and player development if this happens. It will absolutely suck. That isn’t fair to smaller programs. I’m sorry but this isn’t all about the kid and his wants and dreams. There are a slough of other people involved and they matter as well. This rule will make us a farm team. If people are ok with that based simply on what a kid desires so be it but it really isnt just. I wonder if it couldn’t be tempered a little (only upperclassmen have the option) though I wish they would just keep the rule as is.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on the bolded.

Does it ruin softball and golf and track & field and soccer? Doesn't the school make investments in those athletes as well? They can all transfer without penalty prior to graduation right now and have been able to for years.

There's plenty of consequences. There's all sorts of dynamics in dealing with a new area, a new school, a new coaching staff, and a new team that potential transfer need to (or at least should) think long and hard about. It's just like moving or switching jobs in real life. The grass isn't always greener on the other side but I don't think it's fair to the student-athletes to put in penalties that restrict their ability to find a better situation if they don't like the one they're in.

As far as making a commitment goes I'd be less supportive of this rule if scholarships were 4/5 year commitments from the school but scholarships are year-to-year and they're not always renewed. The student-athlete shouldn't be penalized for transferring before they've graduated if the school isn't penalized for not renewing their scholarship. Similarly, if a player is on a partial scholarship or no scholarship at his current school and there's other schools willing to give him a scholarship I think he should be able to pursue that.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the bolded.

Does it ruin softball and golf and track & field and soccer? Doesn't the school make investments in those athletes as well? They can all transfer without penalty prior to graduation right now and have been able to for years.
    I don’t follow any of those so I don’t know how it affects them. In terms of improving draft stock I would think only soccer would be somewhat comparable in terms of reason/incentive to transfer.. I would guess football would see more transferring than any of those and also football probably has far more people involved and invested and caring. Seems a bit apples oranges comparison but would be interesting to see how other sports are affected.

Twincitybizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Everybody talking about it being bad for ndsu is right. Except that this is still amature Athletics and we should be thinking about what's best for the kids. Also coaches and players being held to different standards on when they can skip out on contacts is bullshit.

steelbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Programs that don't develop players and rely on transfers will be hurt by this. Programs like us that don't go the transfer route will not be impacted any way shape or form. What do we get like 1 transfer every year or so and when we do get a transfer it's usually from a D2 program. We don't even go the juco route because only 1 out 10 seem to pan out. Our last juco never started a game and got kicked off the team.

Your seriously that naive? Wow, this is horrible news for college football and especially teams at our level. Can you imagine how many teams would be recruiting Trey right now. How about Watson? Lots of teams would love to have either of them.

This would total ruin college football. If you can't see that then you are pretty clueless.