Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2017 Bison compared to past title teams (by the numbers)

Default The 2017 Bison compared to past title teams (by the numbers)

I already had this done for the first 5 title teams so I figured I'd add all the stats in for the 2017 team to see how they stacked up and let's just say they were impressive to say the least.

Here's the overall season numbers (best season for each stat category is highlighted):

Here's the regular season numbers:

Here's the playoff numbers:

Some things that stood out for me:
    • The run game was absolutely dominant. A half yard per carry higher in the regular season than any other year, more rush yards per game than any other year, and more rushing TDs than any other year.
    • A 14.5% 3rd down conversion defense in the playoffs is just stupid good.
    • A 100+ point spread in passing efficiency compared to defensive passing efficiency in the playoffs is simply astounding.
    • The 2017 defense on the season has the best defensive pass efficiency and lowest rush yards per game allowed of any D1 title team. It's a legit question to ask if this was the best defense the Bison have ever had in the D1 era.
    • Speaking of efficiency the 2017 offense had the highest yards per pass attempt and tied for the highest (with 2013) yards per rush attempt.

By the numbers this year's team clearly exceeded all the other title teams except for the 2013 team. Now you can make the argument that the 2013 team played a tough FBS opponent that skews the numbers a bit and, of course, the 2013 team is all by itself with a 0 in the L column but these 2017 Bison should go down as one of the best teams in the history of NDSU football.
    Last edited by Professor Chaos; 01-10-2018 at 04:13 PM.

Default Re: The 2017 Bison compared to past title teams (by the numbers)

Super interesting. Thanks, Chaos!
    Rixen

Thanks - that is a lot of fun to look at!

I ran through the numbers to see if i could spot any mistakes. youre way off on opponent red zone scoring % in the 2012 playoffs.

That's some nice work.

Which makes me wonder: The NCAA site has current year stats, but do they archive them anywhere?

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Thanks Chaos, always interesting but this years stats are a little inflated due to our cupcake OOC schedule! We put up some monster numbers the first three games. I always found conference only stats an interesting way to compare our current team to previous Bison teams. The 2017 wasn't as good as 2013 team IMO but you could argue that they were as good as any other of our championship teams.

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    That's some nice work.

Which makes me wonder: The NCAA site has current year stats, but do they archive them anywhere?
    MVFC stats are archived.

Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    Thanks Chaos, always interesting but this years stats are a little inflated due to our cupcake OOC schedule! We put up some monster numbers the first three games. I always found conference only stats an interesting way to compare our current team to previous Bison teams. The 2017 wasn't as good as 2013 team IMO but you could argue that they were as good as any other of our championship teams.
    Id say....

QB=wash
    WRs-2013
    TE's-2017
    RB's-2017(if all healthy)
    OL-2013
    DL-Wash...2013 had a pro on it, 2017s 2 deep was sick and missing an all american
    LB's-2017
    Secondary-2013
    Punter-2013 by a mile
    Kicker-2013

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    I ran through the numbers to see if i could spot any mistakes. youre way off on opponent red zone scoring % in the 2012 playoffs.
    Looks right to me. Opponents had 8 RZ possessions and got 2 TDs and 3 FGs.... unless I'm reading wrong: http://stats.gobison.com/fb/2012/teamgbg.htm

Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    2013 had some cupcakes OOC too like Delaware St and Ferris St. EWU in 2017 was definitely a much easier opponent than K-State was in 2013 though. Also, the MVFC was better in 2017 than it was in 2013. Only 2 MVFC teams made the playoffs in 2013 (NDSU and SDSU) and only 4 had winning records.

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    Id say....

QB=wash
    WRs-2013
    TE's-2017
    RB's-2017(if all healthy)
    OL-2013
    DL-Wash...2013 had a pro on it, 2017s 2 deep was sick and missing an all american
    LB's-2017
    Secondary-2013
    Punter-2013 by a mile
    Kicker-2013
    Mustaches-2017