Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 2017 Bison compared to past title teams (by the numbers)

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: The 2017 Bison compared to past title teams (by the numbers)

Quote Originally Posted by BisonFanAnn View Post
    No point in playing the "What if" game. What matters most is that we DID lose several key players to injury this year, and still put up ridiculous stats.

I think back to a conversation I had with a JSU fan in Frisco before the game - his son was on the team. We were both talking about how much we were enjoying our trip (first time for both of us), and I said I hoped to have a chance to come back. He said "Oh, you'll be back - I looked at y'all's roster!"
    NDSU has had some great players during this run, but I think the biggest factor in their continued consistency has been depth. It doesn't seem to matter who gets injured they just keep on going.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    NDSU has had some great players during this run, but I think the biggest factor in their continued consistency has been depth. It doesn't seem to matter who gets injured they just keep on going.
    Seems like past years we'd lose a guy or two throughout the year and someone would step up. This year there were all kinds of injuries that would have crushed many teams. The O-line and D-line stayed relatively healthy and had good depth, that was a major factor.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by wagsabison View Post
    Seems like past years we'd lose a guy or two throughout the year and someone would step up. This year there were all kinds of injuries that would have crushed many teams. The O-line and D-line stayed relatively healthy and had good depth, that was a major factor.
    Yeah, that was what I was getting at. I know that we've had significant injuries every year during the run but every week this year, I felt like I was wondering when the bug would stop. And it never really eased up. There are about a dozen teams in all of college football, and none other at the FCS level, that would have been able to sustain excellence. It is not just depth, it is culture. The young guys are not simply waiting for their turn.

And, yeah, I still believe that the stats from this team would have looked even more absurd had they only dealt with a "normal" amount of injuries, season ending or otherwise. Not that it matters. The hardware is still in Fargo.
    Insert something clever here...

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    Next years schedule is very favorable to not run the table

@ UNI might be a test but Im pretty sure they lost some talent. 4 total road games. Strevlarless USD, WIU replacing a coach/QB/WR and Mo St.

YSU, ISUR, SDSU, Cal Poly, UD, UNA, SIU all home. lol
    To me WIU losing Taylor is a bigger loss than QB/WR, maybe even coach.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Stick's got a shot at the Jensen record as crazy as that is. Having them 1 - 2 on that record will be another one of those absurd Bison stats. Who was that QB they had in between those guys... oh yeah Carson Wentz.
    I often joke about Jensen that when Wentz came in the game people got "nervous." He was just SO steady, such a leader and would find a way to win. Stick doesn't have Wentz's arm but he reminds me of Jensen in that I have faith he will do just enough to win the game.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDak View Post
    I often joke about Jensen that when Wentz came in the game people got "nervous." He was just SO steady, such a leader and would find a way to win. Stick doesn't have Wentz's arm but he reminds me of Jensen in that I have faith he will do just enough to win the game.
    I agree with this statement 100%. I would give Stick the better ability to run the ball, especially breakaway speed.

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The only slight modification I would suggest is that in the 'overall' stat spreadsheet near the bottom (third from bottom) in "opponents red zone TD %" 2013 is highlighted with 44.4%, but 2017 also had 44.4% so the two years are tied. In other situations when two years were tied, they are both highlighted. However, an insignificant modification given the overall quality of what you have put together!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil View Post
    The only slight modification I would suggest is that in the 'overall' stat spreadsheet near the bottom (third from bottom) in "opponents red zone TD %" 2013 is highlighted with 44.4%, but 2017 also had 44.4% so the two years are tied. In other situations when two years were tied, they are both highlighted. However, an insignificant modification given the overall quality of what you have put together!!!!
    Yeah, I did notice that after looking at it after I had already posted it. I deemed it too small to justify re-uploading a new image with the extra highlighted cell.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Yeah, I did notice that after looking at it after I had already posted it. I deemed it too small to justify re-uploading a new image with the extra highlighted cell.
    If it was formula driven, it's possible that one more decimal place would show 2013 ahead anyway. Thanks for putting it together. Good stuff!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Wow what a rushing attack!! That is the best rushing attack in our D1 history. 48 rushing TDs are you kidding me! Still seems like our rushing game was more explosive but still struggles at times on 1st down but these numbers are insane

As far as passing goes, Brock Jensens senior year was absolutely dominant. Hopefully Easton saves his best for last.

Defense was incredible. I hope everyone appreciated just how epic it was to have DeLuca and Cox on the field at the same time. Our safeties were ball hawks. Our corners played well all season. Front 4 was insanely good vs the run and started to peak late in the year and get pressure

On paper this is the best team statistically but I would still take the 2013 team because they went undefeated and beat Kansas State. And didn't lose to SDSU.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com