Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: A Look Ahead to 2018 Depth

Default Re: A Look Ahead to 2018 Depth

Quote Originally Posted by ZHerd View Post
    Everyone suffers from some sort of bias but yes he didn't play against many good defenses this year and didn't do much against the good teams he faced. Massive numbers against Missisippi Valley, Robert Mortis, MSU, and ISU aren't something I base opinions off. I think it's funny how worked up some people get over opinions on a fan forum. You would think my 2018 post was a cruel doom and gloom diatribe when it was actually very positive
    Which RB had a big game against a great defense? What did the other RBs do in those games Dunn had massive numbers against the what you call “no so good” defense? Trying to understand the logic behind your opinion. If you just like one back more than the other ok. But your reasoning makes no sense to me. I think it’s funny how when someone’s opinion is questioned the person questioning them is worked up.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Dog Nitro View Post
    Which RB had a big game against a great defense? What did the other RBs do in those games Dunn had massive numbers against the what you call “no so good” defense? Trying to understand the logic behind your opinion. If you just like one back more than the other ok. But your reasoning makes no sense to me. I think it’s funny how when someone’s opinion is questioned the person questioning them is worked up.
    Moving the boundaries by changing my wording actually just shows you are mad and aren't interested in understanding the logic behind what I said. Brooks numbers this year are almost always good regardless who we play. I didn't get worked up I simply responded, your original post was definitely worked up. Just look at the numbers from the start of good conference competition (probably YSU without looking). I'm not sure why anyone would base anything off the first 6 or so games but if you want to have at it. But yes, ultimately I am just giving opinions. If my opinion that we have two RB that I think are very good and would like to see get the bulk of carries is disrespectful than so be it. Again this isn't some major criticism of Dunn (we don't have any bad RB, they are all good players) I just think the other two are better. Next year could prove me very wrong on that. Whoever is back there will end up with a bunch of yards and TDs.
    Last edited by ZHerd; 01-09-2018 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHerd View Post
    Moving the boundaries by changing my wording actually just shows you are just mad and aren't interested in understanding the logic behind what I said. Brooks numbers this year are almost always good regardless who we play. I didn't get worked up I simply responded, your original post was definitely worked up. Just look at the numbers from the start of good conference competition (probably YSU without looking). I'm not sure why anyone would base anything off the first 6 or so games but if you want to have at it. But yes, ultimately I am just giving opinions. If my opinion that we have two RB that I think are very good and would like to see get the bulk of carries is disrespectful than so be it. Again this isn't some major criticism of Dunn (we don't have any bad RB, they are all good players) I just think the other two are better. Next year could prove me very wrong on that.
    None of your wording was changed. Mad about what? I simply said I find it funny that you think I’m mad because I questioned your opinion. I never said you were mad. As far as Brooks numbers he had 2 100 yard games. MVS and USD. Are they great defenses? He missed 5 games after EWU where he had 39 yards. He didn’t play against YSU or Western Illinois so your logic is not makin sense to me. I’m not taking anything away from Brooks. He is very dynamic and I like him as a runner. But again, your logic is not adding up. And apparently the coaches don’t agree with that logic either.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Dog Nitro View Post
    None of your wording was changed. Mad about what? I simply said I find it funny that you think I’m mad because I questioned your opinion. I never said you were mad. As far as Brooks numbers he had 2 100 yard games. MVS and USD. Are they great defenses? He missed 5 games after EWU where he had 39 yards. He didn’t play against YSU or Western Illinois so your logic is not makin sense to me. I’m not taking anything away from Brooks. He is very dynamic and I like him as a runner. But again, your logic is not adding up. And apparently the coaches don’t agree with that logic either.
    Last line is true, Im probably too much of a second guesser, our staff knows what they're doing

We have amazing talent and depth at RB. We are quite literally discussing which 2 of our 3 All conference caliber RBs are best. Not a worthless discussion but I think we've hit the point of diminishing returns unless we want to pound our pud against that wall some more.

Anyone want to discuss the WR issue next? Do we think the TEs, RBs, and a Senior Easton can make up for our lack of WR depth and premiere talent?

What do we do in obvious passing situations and especially the 3rd and longs? (I know I know Darrius scored our big TD on 3rd and 17 in the natty). I never want to disparage our players and Darrius & Dimitri are talented and have played important roles in our championship runs. But RJ seemed to be a notch above and could fill out that #1 WR role while not being prototypical measurables. He was also INCREDIBLY durable. We also had Illies to give us that athletic TE mismatch for the passing downs. What if Watson isn't ready to contribute, or if Cain and Freeman don't take that next step. Anyone else people are excited about?

The sky isn't falling because I think the team looks great for next year but this is my biggest concern and would like to hear other, likely more knowledgeable, opinions.
    Rixen

Quote Originally Posted by Rixen View Post
    We have amazing talent and depth at RB. We are quite literally discussing which 2 of our 3 All conference caliber RBs are best. Not a worthless discussion but I think we've hit the point of diminishing returns unless we want to pound our pud against that wall some more.

Anyone want to discuss the WR issue next? Do we think the TEs, RBs, and a Senior Easton can make up for our lack of WR depth and premiere talent?

What do we do in obvious passing situations and especially the 3rd and longs? (I know I know Darrius scored our big TD on 3rd and 17 in the natty). I never want to disparage our players and Darrius & Dimitri are talented and have played important roles in our championship runs. But RJ seemed to be a notch above and could fill out that #1 WR role while not being prototypical measurables. He was also INCREDIBLY durable. We also had Illies to give us that athletic TE mismatch for the passing downs. What if Watson isn't ready to contribute, or if Cain and Freeman don't take that next step. Anyone else people are excited about?

The sky isn't falling because I think the team looks great for next year but this is my biggest concern and would like to hear other, likely more knowledgeable, opinions.
    Take the RB with the best hands and turn him into a Ryan Smith style slot receiver. Might get a safety out of that bunch too.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think Brooks and/or Wilson will take on more of a Ryan Smith role next year.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gumby013 View Post
    Wilson can red shirt if the RB depth is too much.
    Damn, never thought of that! wow that would be something to redshirt after they've already played significant minutes.

Do we know of any recognizable names who have done this in the past- with us or someone else??
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    Damn, never thought of that! wow that would be something to redshirt after they've already played significant minutes.

Do we know of any recognizable names who have done this in the past- with us or someone else??
    This has been brought up many times but I would think that's a pretty unprecedented thing to have happen after contributing like he has. I just don't see it happening. After Bruce and Lance are done we do lose some work horse type guys.

As others have mentioned it's nice to have that RS in your back pocket if he's injured at some point.

Just an aside, but how does it work for someone like RJ if they still have school to complete when he never shirted? Do they have a way to keep him on scholarship for him to finish out a degree?