Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: A Look Ahead to 2018 Depth

BisonHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: A Look Ahead to 2018 Depth

Koonce was kicking hurt. His first kick made it all the way across the field but he got hit after the ball left. Never the same after that. He is a part of this championship run and will be remembered for helping the team.
    you mess with the ^Bison^ you get the horns

Quote Originally Posted by BisonHorns View Post
    Koonce was kicking hurt. His first kick made it all the way across the field but he got hit after the ball left. Never the same after that. He is a part of this championship run and will be remembered for helping the team.
    He hasn't been good for the 2 years he was here for flipping the field. On pooch kicks he did decent job pinning teams but could never flip the field when needed. They showed his stats for punting and he had the 9th best average in the mvfc so that shows he's not a good punter.

Will there be a good field of receivers? It seems like we will be weak in this area losing RJ. Sure could a couple RJs and Vras. Those guys could catch anything close to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitybizon View Post
    In limited game time I think Mercadel looks great! I bet he jumps into the starting rotation next year in a substantial way
    I think he has shown flashes of being a good player but no way he starts ahead of a healthy marlette, jordheim, or cox. How about Jack begely, has anyone heard how his red shirt year went?

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

My take on next year's squad: returning QB with solid experience and I have a hunch that the depth situation will be excellent. RB is loaded but I would honestly be happy to see a Brooks/Anderson show. Depth is unreal with Dunn being good and Wilson I think will become a great all situation back. I think he was really impressive running and receiving as a true freshman. O-line I think will miss Kuhnert but overall (with experience and great young talent) will maybe be better. WR- I love RJ but I am not worried about much drop off here. Lots of returning talent and I think Watson will be an immediate impact. He looks really fast and athletic. Also the TE will pick up any WR drop off and then some. I have another hunch that, even losing some good Sr TE's, we are about to see the best TE unit Bison fans have seen. Overall the offense has a definite up arrow.

Defense: DE is as loaded and skilled as I've seen in an NDSU DE unit. I like Butler and I'm excited to get Menard back but little Tuska has impressed me all year and it's really exciting the way he stepped up yesterday on the big stage against elite competition. He was basically beating double teams on some of those plays. He could be in for a monster 2018. Also you just know that one or more of the 3 freshmen from this last class will look great as well. DT- lose a couple good players and the depth will be interesting to see unfold. I'm not concerned about this unit but if I recall, they have had some recruiting attrition over the past few seasons. Who will step up as an interior disrupter next year? Question mark, but not really worry on this unit. LB- I love Deluca but I'm not worried about this unit at all. Marlette was a big time play maker/game changer before he was injured. Honestly in those couple games he looked all Americanish. Cox is experienced and may be bigger/faster and the depth fighting for the other side looked really good. That unit may take a few games but they will be elite. CB- I am worried somewhat here because it is the position that maybe hasn't been recruited up to par with other positions but I think Allison and Bridges will be solid but I worry about depth. Bridges is the best cb on this team and looks like the kind of playmaker that will get into QB's heads. S-I love Dempsey but this unit will be solid. Grimsley has turned into a good player and Jaxon Brown looks really athletic...plus still have Hendricks and other unknowns...that unit will be fine. Overall, defense also gets an up arrow...which is amazing with losing a guy like Nick and Nate as well.

Special teams: I agree with others, it's just plain time to get serious about the punting game, and also the return game. I get having guys that are just safe catching the ball but they are just not impacting games. Time to get better playmakers back there or get better blocking schemes or something. Overall- up arrow because I would imagine that is all going to get more attention going into next year.
    In short: 2018 NDSU could very well be better

Things I'm looking forward to next season:

-Easton Stick's leadership vibe
    -Volsom Roadgrading Incorporated
    -Cox putting on more speed & muscle (circa Bruce last 2 years)
    -Mess and Stick further scheming
    -Greg Menard & Tuska 2.0 on the ends
    -Our fleet of RB's
    -Noah Gindorf in the mix
    -Desmond Cain emerging into RJ spot
    -24 seniors for fall of 2018. Yikes.

Like everyone, I'm a little concerned with LB situation. Hoping Marlette and Jordheim are full speed & fully healed. Mercedel always plays fast.....not sure how young guys are developing.

what a season for 2017. Way to go guys!

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU German from Russia View Post

-Our fleet of RB's
    -Noah Gindorf in the mix

Like everyone, I'm a little concerned with LB situation. Hoping Marlette and Jordheim are full speed & fully healed. Mercedel always plays fast.....not sure how young guys are developing.

Dom reported yesterday Cain was warming up with CB... He didn't take any snaps as WR either...

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU German from Russia View Post

-Our fleet of RB's
    -Noah Gindorf in the mix

Looking forward to seeing Dillon Radunz come back 100%. Having him back at LT will solidify one of the Guard positions with Colin Conner moving back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!

BFKasper14 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

What would be the odds of seeing a RB (I’m thinking Wilson) get put in a slot receiver spot a la Ryan Smith? Smith came in as a RB and ended up being one of the best receivers to wear a Bison uniform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One does not simply walk into the FARGODOME...

Quote Originally Posted by scbison91 View Post
    Dom reported yesterday Cain was warming up with CB... He didn't take any snaps as WR either...
    I might be wrong but I believe he was originally recruited out of HS to play CB.