Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: A Look Ahead to 2018 Depth

Default Re: A Look Ahead to 2018 Depth

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Agree with AK, though. They are going to have to be careful with Brooks. Treat him like Easton running; only really unleash it when all the chips are in.
    I would really like Brooks to put on a few more pounds and take over the role of kickoff/punt returner. We need someone who is a game changer at that position.

Quote Originally Posted by 2011BisonAlumni View Post
    I would really like Brooks to put on a few more pounds and take over the role of kickoff/punt returner. We need someone who is a game changer at that position.
    Agreed; he could be a weapon like Marcus.

Quote Originally Posted by 2011BisonAlumni View Post
    Will say it again, Brooks is an FCS version of Barry Sanders! Few have the vision, shiftiness and 5 gears. All the while that guy can run in a small box! Agreed as well, limit his carries next year in easy wins and save him for the playoffs, he is special.

My thoughts which echo many others so far.

QB: Obviously set at starter and would love Easton to quiet any remaining critics and go out on top. Can't wait to see Hotchkiss and Sanders in the offseason since backup QB depth hasn't been a question mark for years. Having a reliable backup will allow us to unleash Easton all season.

RB: Quite the embarrassment of riches. Wilson and Bruce are the only active RBs eligible to redshirt this year and that makes zero sense for Bruce as a healthy starting Senior and honestly I wouldn't blame Seth one iota for not wanting to do that since he came in and played a significant role in our championship run. I would be ecstatic if he did though. With Dunn, Bruce, and Brooks I just don't see a lot of snaps available. Cofield looks good and Seth looked special at times but they might have to weather their sophomore years with minimal snaps and get the lion's share their Junior and Senior seasons. Purifoy is likely the odd man out here if anyone leaves. He has 2 years left and there is minimal chance, barring injury to others, that he cracks the top 3 and perhaps not even the top 5 coming off a torn ACL and has struggled to put on weight to this point. If we want to preserve our top 3 RBs, can we appease a Purifoy or other with KR/PR duties? A position that needs game changing talent.

FB: Ready to go. Would be nice to have a Bonnett type FB but Robbins, Malstrom, and Kuntz seem very capable. I could see Robbins and Kuntz turning into sneaky offensive contributors.

TE: We are just fine at starters here with amazing depth BUT I am not willing to say we are great here until I see how the young guns do. I think Jenson, Ellefson, and Anderson can provide us with starter level contributions. But are the young guns, Gindorff and Babicz, going to give us the game changing athletic pass catching TE that can take our play action game to another level. Illies gave us a taste of this.

WR: Some of you guys aren't worried. I am. Shepherd is our #1 WR and we all love him. But he is oft dinged up and I don't think he is #1 material. Honestly he comes across as a great #3 or solid #2. I am talking not NDSU #1 material. Not FCS #1. Stapleton and Weinecke aren't walking through our run first door. Dimitri has turned himself into a viable #3 WR which is great to see. There is no reason for us to be sure Cain will turn the corner and be a good starter. Talent yes, but one year left and minimal contributions this year with plenty of opportunity to crack a thin depth chart. Dallas Freeman will contribute but likely on a two deep basis. I honestly don't see any help down the pipeline either. I love the recruiting process and keep spreadsheets of AMATEUR ratings of all the recruits via HUDL review. Take this with a massive grain of salt but I don't see any help on the rest of the WR roster except Watson as long as he put on a little weight/strength. I am worried for this year and FAR MORE for next year. Babicz and Gindorff becoming offensive assets is even more critical due to this lack of starting talent over the next couple talents.

OT: Radunz and ZJ are locked in for the next couple years I think. Baby Volson and Bacon make me pretty comfortable with the depth here too. Conner moved to Guard can always move back to LT if god forbid something happens to Radunz again.

OG: This position scares me a bit. Connor can secure the LG spot but we don't have a known commodity at RG starter or either backup positions. I am predicting Kubas will start at RG but that is purely based off I think he had the most snaps among the depth chart at OG. Haven't heard much positive or negative about Hecht (needs more weight) and Albrecht. I did have a solid grade on Jensen as an available RFr next year.

C: Volson is a stud and I expect Schoenning to be solid depth if needed. Willis has some talent as well as RFr.

NT: Steidl and Williams are an experienced and very solid duo here so we should be fine. A bit nervous about the future here though as Alo and Kelly weren't highly touted as recruits but I am rooting for the local boys to flash a bit this year. We certainly need them to so we can feel better about the future.

DT: Karcz and Darnell seem like a good combo here as well albeit less proven. Karcz seems to have some great upside though and I really liked what Tucker showed on recruit film.

DE: Loaded. Menard, Tuszka, Butler, and Jones. We are 2 deep with starters. Some pretty talented underclassmen too.

LB: Think we are set here. I do think it will be a step down from this year but no one was going to match Deluca. I also think Board was a better player then he got credit for due to Deluca and Cox being amazing. I like Jordheim and Marlette if healthy and I think Mercadel, Pauly, and Kennelly are solid depth.

CB: Absolutely loaded. Some seem nervous here and I don't get it. Allison is confirmed all conference talent, Wimbush turned into a very solid starter, Bridges seems to be a special talent, Hayes made strides in a very short amount of playing time as a true freshman. Dom Davis was looking like a potentially good #3 until the injury, and if Dixon can put on weight I think he has special talent. Love the talent here.

S: We'll take a step down here because Dempsey was special but I think between Hendricks, Brown, and Bachmeier we will have a good pair and depth. Just maybe no longer elite. I really like Tutsie as a RFr and Weber looked good too.

K: Cam is a serviceable kicker. Seems to have some blocked kick issues but I also think he has made quite a few clutch kicks.

P: I will just assume that Wegner is an average punter at worst.

KR/PR: Let's put that bevy of RBs to work!

TLDR: Genuine concern about WR and OG. Loaded at RB, DE, and DB. Other positions shouldn't be impacted too drastically.
    Rixen

Quote Originally Posted by Winning is Gr8 View Post
    The biggest concern to me is LB (Nick is a huge loss) We have 3 with experience (Levi, Cox and Marlette) but i think we need at least 3 more to step up.

Could Wimbush move to FS. I think Allison and Bridges will be starting CB next year.

Agree- Frisco or bust next year and hope lots of blow outs to get youth some reps for 19 as we lose a ton after next year.
    Didnt Wimbush start out as a FS? That's a possibility

tolnabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Didnt Wimbush start out as a FS? That's a possibility
    Also last year Dom Davis cross trained at both corner and nickel. Similar size and speed as Dempsey.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHerd View Post
    My take on next year's squad: returning QB with solid experience and I have a hunch that the depth situation will be excellent. RB is loaded but I would honestly be happy to see a Brooks/Anderson show. Depth is unreal with Dunn being good and Wilson I think will become a great all situation back. I think he was really impressive running and receiving as a true freshman. O-line I think will miss Kuhnert but overall (with experience and great young talent) will maybe be better. WR- I love RJ but I am not worried about much drop off here. Lots of returning talent and I think Watson will be an immediate impact. He looks really fast and athletic. Also the TE will pick up any WR drop off and then some. I have another hunch that, even losing some good Sr TE's, we are about to see the best TE unit Bison fans have a seen. Overall the offense has a definite up arrow.

Defense: DE is as loaded and skilled as I've seen in an NDSU DE unit. I like Butler and I'm excited to get Menard back but little Tuska has impressed me all year and it's really exciting the way he stepped up yesterday on the big stage against elite competition. He was basically beating double teams on some of those plays. He could be in for a monster 2018. Also you just know that one or more of the 3 freshmen from this last class will look great as well. DT- lose a couple good players and the depth will be interesting to see unfold. I'm not concerned about this unit but if I recall, they have had some recruiting attrition over the past few seasons. Who will step up as an interior disrupter next year? Question mark, but not really worry on this unit. LB- I love Deluca but I'm not worried about this unit at all. Marlette was a big time play maker/game changer before he was injured. Honestly in those couple games he looked all Americanish. Cox is experienced and may be bigger/faster and the depth fighting for the other side looked really good. That unit may take a few games but they will be elite. CB- I am worried somewhat here because it is the position that maybe hasn't been recruited up to par with other positions but I think Allison and Bridges will be solid but I worry about depth. Bridges is the best cb on this team and looks like the kind of playmaker that will get into QB's heads. S-I love Dempsey but this unit will be solid. Grimsley has turned into a good player and Jaxon Brown looks really athletic...plus still have Hendricks and other unknowns...that unit will be fine. Overall, defense also gets an up arrow...which is amazing with losing a guy like Nick and Nate as well.

Special teams: I agree with others, it's just plain time to get serious about the punting game, and also the return game. I get having guys that are just safe catching the ball but they are just not impacting games. Time to get better playmakers back there or get better blocking schemes or something. Overall- up arrow because I would imagine that is all going to get more attention going into next year.
    In short: 2018 NDSU could very well be better
    Brooks/Anderson? What? Dunn just good? Wilson situational? What were you watching this season? I just can’t with bisonville anymore. Total disrespect to Dunn. Wow!

tolnabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Dog Nitro View Post
    Brooks/Anderson? What? Dunn just good? Wilson situational? What were you watching this season? I just can’t with bisonville anymore. Total disrespect to Dunn. Wow!
    Agreed. Lance was clearly the better back before his injury. I will say Bruce got better as the season went.

Having both Dunn and Bruce will be huge. Both are built to punish those who try to tackle them. They’re the ones that will wear out defenses and create opportunities for Brooks, Wilson and Purifoy.

I believe Cofield can also be another RB that can dole out punishment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Being called good isn't an insult. If that upsets people...oh well. I'd love to see Wilson more than situational as I think he might have the most overall potential of the whole group but with all of the talent I kind of doubt he gets a major load next year.