Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Special Teams - OMG!

Default Re: Special Teams - OMG!

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Radio guys said he was up and messing around on sidelines, practicing kicks, etc. No sign of problems and that Wagner was tried just for something different. Also, Kounce has no velocity on his ball, and that’s why any sort of head or side wind kills them. Reminds me of me off the tee box when golfing—5-10 mph wind and I may as well stay home.

Regardless, special team play has got to improve. We do not treat it as a true third phase anymore. We almost never attempt to set up a punt return, and as we saw yesterday, that can really change field position, which is very helpful against a solid D. JMU’s method was to engage us at LOS and stay on us all the way down the field. Doing that causes defenders to get pushed out of lanes and or creates different “layers” of defenders. All we do is release and fair catch the ball. Occasionally attempt to return one, but defenders are all over us. We aren’t aggressive on coverage or blocking at all. The only bright spot is out kickoff coverage.

Had we lost yesterday, this would be the number one thread today. IOW, had one of many JMU plays had a different outcome, I’d likely be having to wait to even post here. Yeah, I’m pissed about what I saw yesterday, but then realized I had actually been seeing it all year. With MVFC teams getting better every year, it’s time for us to on the special teams front. PERIOD!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Been saying that same thing all year, I don't remember the last big punt return. A big punt return can flip the field, change momentum, or end up in the end zone. Very crucial part of the game that I think isn't given enough attention by this staff. When it costs the team a game it will be too late.

Quote Originally Posted by eman View Post
    Glad i'm not the only one who thinks this is priority!
    I'm with ya too.

moosbah is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I hate to rip on the players, as they are just kids, but the punting game was so blatantly horrible yesterday, I was frankly shocked the kid even made the roster.

There is NO WAY there isn't a better punter on the team, or available if we even took a little time to look into it.

It single handedly put JMU on the short field all day and almost cost us that game.
    Sioux SUCK! It just has a nice ring to it.

R.I.P. CLC
    5/13/2012

Quote Originally Posted by moosbah View Post
    I hate to rip on the players, as they are just kids, but the punting game was so blatantly horrible yesterday, I was frankly shocked the kid even made the roster.

There is NO WAY there isn't a better punter on the team, or available if we even took a little time to look into it.

It single handedly put JMU on the short field all day and almost cost us that game.
    Everything on the punt game broke down. If the punter got injured on that first punt, that's one thing, but the coverage and protection were both ineffective.

Cripes, Koonce had to make a TD-saving tackle. What a contrast to the last meeting in which the NET PUNT was 45 yards (still boggles my mind - that's positively LeComptian.)

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I thought Koonce punted much better this year as opposed to last year but he definitely didn't have it Saturday.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

I wonder if the Bison's success has affected their ability to recruit the type of player willing to switch to punter for the good of the team? I can't imagine any of the current running backs or tight ends switching to punter. Wasn't that Bohl's trick? Find an athlete buried on the depth chart and let him start working on punting.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo View Post
    Wow, what a performance by the Bison! Great job all season by every player and coach!
    So you thought special teams played well?

Listen, I get what you are saying. We won. It was a great season. But this is a fan forum. Its ok to talk about something that went wrong in the game. I think this conversation is worthy of being had.
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Everything on the punt game broke down. If the punter got injured on that first punt, that's one thing, but the coverage and protection were both ineffective.

Cripes, Koonce had to make a TD-saving tackle. What a contrast to the last meeting in which the NET PUNT was 45 yards (still boggles my mind - that's positively LeComptian.)
    Yeah, Koontz has not been great, but I don't think he's ever been that bad and the coverage was atrocious. I don't have much doubt that he was injured. I was wondering towards the end if that the roughing penalty would end up being JMU's most effective play all day. And I don't think Pedersen is bad. We aren't going to have a Keller and LeCompte every year, those guys could have played anywhere.

So while yeah special teams needs to get better, I don't think the blame can be placed on any single area or player. Coaches have a lot of work to do.

I am very happy about the victory, but I also hope the coaches do some soul searching on special teams. We have to get better.

I would bet a $1000 that Stick, out of the shotgun can punt more effectively than Koonce. That performance on Saturday was sad and not the first indication this guy cant punt. It probably should have cost the Bison this championship because there was no way to flip the field with punts going 25-27-30 yards. The defense should have asked that he was left off the plane coming home. Again, his poor punting was NOT a surprise to anyone that has watched him in the past.