Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Special Teams - OMG!

Default Re: Special Teams - OMG!

If he legitimately got hurt on the roughing, you call can pound sand.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    If he legitimately got hurt on the roughing, you call can pound sand.
    Typically when you are faking an injury to draw a flag you don't grab your crotch quite like that.

I won't deny that Koontz needs to get better. But he's never been as bad as he was Saturday either, I think it was obvious something was not right.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    Typically when you are faking an injury to draw a flag you don't grab your crotch quite like that.

I won't deny that Koontz needs to get better. But he's never been as bad as he was Saturday either, I think it was obvious something was not right.
    Yeah, punting high into the wind?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Nobody has to worry about him getting better, he graduated.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Played his entire career punting on indoor fields averaging about 30 yards and a fair catch at best. Also, if he was truly hurt that bad why were we punting and not playing four down football. netting 25 yards a punt was getting you nothing in field position or momentum. Im betting four down football is a strategy coaches look back at and say they would change if they could go back. I'm sure there is a plan for when a punter is hurt or simply cant punt well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    Nobody has to worry about him getting better, he graduated.
    You're right, I was looking at the 2016 roster, which still had the 2017 stats.

He averaged 38.9 yards per punt this year. For comparison, JMU's punter averaged 41.4. That's not good but it's not as horrible as some people make it out to be.

To be clear from my end, my position is that we HAVE to get better in punting, punt coverage, punt return (time to start returning more punts by adjusting our blocking scheme/philosophy--we can't just keep accepting a long field), and FG/Extra point team ... and perhaps even being more aggressive going after some punts/FGs/Extra points.

Think about this, even if we were not able to score after a long/decent punt return (which likely would have been the case on Saturday), you still flip the field with even a shitty punt or one that goes in the endzone.

Offense, Defense AND SPECIAL TEAMS!!!
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    To be clear from my end, my position is that we HAVE to get better in punting, punt coverage, punt return (time to start returning more punts by adjusting our blocking scheme/philosophy--we can't just keep accepting a long field), and FG/Extra point team ... and perhaps even being more aggressive going after some punts/FGs/Extra points.

Think about this, even if we were not able to score after a long/decent punt return (which likely would have been the case on Saturday), you still flip the field with even a shitty punt or one that goes in the endzone.

I can agree with that. I just don't think the kickers deserve as much blame as they have been getting. They have not been that bad.

His punting this year 2017 was miles better than last year 2016. I'm not going to say it was elite but it was "serviceable". LeCompte owns a national championship game record speaks volumes for what we were used to with him coming to Koonce, was a huge dropoff. If anything just proves to me that I should be teaching my kid to kick and punt would be a surefire way to college scholarship as most of that just has to be technique and hand/eye coordination.

I don't get the hammering on Koonce, it seems apparent he may have suffered a physical injury on the first punt if not that at least a mental thought of they're going to come get me again could throw some punters off, again not what you want but didn't seem like backup guy had much better luck. What it appeared to me is after the first roughing penalty they then dropped back their guys way early (except for the one where I think it was Moreland actually over ran Koonce prior to him punting it...) into coverage spread out everywhere, I don't know if the weakness they found was a lane or what they just tried to surround that lane with blockers which allowed their returner to slice through to basically our last line of defense, good thing is we didn't give up a TD return. We complain about how a coach(es) missed it, same issue except against the opponents helped us on 'ship #1 when Voit ran the fake punt for a first down, prior to that play that game was still very much up in the air. Also a blocked FG against Towson (not that game was in any doubt much). It happens. That said the kid graduates this year we regroup and move on and have tape on what went wrong. Good thing is we have Drago and LeCompte in the area to help give pointers to new punters (seems that happened with Koonce last year if I recall correctly and may be a reason for his improvement?).

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post

I agree 100%, I truly feel fortunate that the Bison won that game entirely on how poorly our special teams were, mostly punting. I have stated many times on this site how I miss the Bohl era where as they plugged in at least one trick play every big game. JMU played that card on us and it worked to perfection. I actually thought the momentum from that was going to turn that game over.

Hey, we are all joyed with a Bison Title, simply responding to a thread titled: "Special Teams - OMG!" JMU is the real deal and we will more than likely see them again in Frisco next year. It's like looking in a mirror at a first class operation, before, during and after each play.