Page 43 of 81 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: JMU Post Game Thoughts.

Default Re: JMU Post Game Thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    Boring day at work so I got curious.

This is the sour grapes-iest thread I have EVER seen.

http://gojaxstate.boards.net/thread/3514/frisco-recap

That OP has me blocked on Twitter, he is delusional AF. What kind of cuck goes to the championship game to root for another team at random?
    I have been to plenty of games (baseball, basketball, football, even hockey) where I didn't "have a dog in the fight." It is possible he is simply a sports fan and enjoys watching football games, particularly FCS games. Given an opportunity ("all expenses paid trip") to go to Frisco to watch the championship game, even if I "knew" NDSU wouldn't be playing, I would probably take them up on it.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Going into the game it was remarkable how close these two teams were stat wise and it showed how alike they were as the game unfolded. Pretty even matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSnuffleupagus View Post
    I just got back to Fargo last night and having been on a computer until now (besides my phone at the airport) so i haven't done and digging but...

Can someone hook me up with some classic JMU forum responses that happened after the game? I'm sure there are some gems out there. I want to taste some salt.
    "We were the better team. and don't forget how the announcer would come on at the game when we were on offense and say let's get loud, let's make some noise - let's go bison, let's go bison and then let's go dukes, well we were not going to yell when we had the ball. Also, the tailgating. It was announced over and over that the gates would not open until 7 a.m. and they opened them at 5:30 a.m. to accommodate the bison. We will be back next year and we will win!"

I did not realize that they were only letting in Bison fans at 5:30, and JMU fans had to wait until 7.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonFanAnn View Post
    "We were the better team. and don't forget how the announcer would come on at the game when we were on offense and say let's get loud, let's make some noise - let's go bison, let's go bison and then let's go dukes, well we were not going to yell when we had the ball. Also, the tailgating. It was announced over and over that the gates would not open until 7 a.m. and they opened them at 5:30 a.m. to accommodate the bison. We will be back next year and we will win!"

I did not realize that they were only letting in Bison fans at 5:30, and JMU fans had to wait until 7.
    To a person every JMU fan said "we just don't tailgate like this" so they didn't have to try to cram in a bunch of buses and RVs in. They sure enjoyed hanging with us.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    If Stick isn't pressured he completes a wide open dump off pass to Bruce with a whole field of green in front of him.

What's the point of all these what if's again???
    And every single "what if" changes the whole template of the game. I usually say, "OK, I'll give you all those catches...and NDSU wins 38-20" because, afterall, if you can pick and choose a couple things to change--all of which benefit your team--then I get to change the same number of things. There were lots of plays that 'should have' been huge gains, and probably touch downs if only JMU didn't get 'lucky' and tackle. Afterall, it was just 'luck' that they happened to have a guy in position to cover the gap that they were responsible for."

When it comes down to it I am becoming convinced that it was, at least in some instances, a "timing thing." If it was "NDSU just got lucky" then 1 receiver having an off day would be believeable. But multiple receivers having drops? Were the passes poorly thrown? Maybe. Or, even if they were "on target" if the receiver was used to catching the ball 4 steps after he had made his break and, suddenly it was there after only 1 step it can be hard to adjust. And I remember a time where Antonio Brown dropped a pass that hit him chest high and in the hands. The broadcasters were mystified, until one of them, a former QB or receiver (don't remember which), pointed out that the QB was Michael Vick, not Roethlisberger so the ball was spinning the opposite direction (Vick throws with his left hand). Just that little change can throw off an athlete like Antonio Brown. How much more can something like a throw coming in at an unexpected time it throw off a receiver in college?

I can also see how frustration would start to set in and the players try to "do too much" and that lead to drops. And, also, knowing that yards and first downs are hard to come by, thinking about YAC and dropping the ball. But those are not "NDSU got lucky." They aren't "JMU played badly." I keep coming back to the statement made by a JMU player after the game, "They made fewer mistakes than we did."

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisonFanAnn View Post

It just appeared that way because while NDSU was busy working with officials to find a compromise JMU was too busy with their streamer petition to notice.

Here's another one:

"4 turnovers, 3 open drops, 2 NDSU bailout/momentum fueling 15-yard penalties, 1 missed FG.

You don't win a championship with a stat line like that, unless your Alabama of course and the referees help you out, oh yeah, we also had the officials going against us too who were an utter embarrassment. The NCAA really needs to take a long hard look at the Southland Conference and their participation in the FCS tournament going forward both from a team and officiating standpoint.

Its really a tribute to our special teams and defensive efforts that we were one play away from winning the game. The superior team lost in Frisco, any objective NDSU fan knows that.

Dukes will be back and I look forward to a third straight trip to Frisco, TX on 1/5/19."

Quote Originally Posted by JMUSteeler View Post
    3rd quarter, too early to be chasing points with a 2-point conversion attempt. Besides, we had other opportunities that we missed so to go back now and argue that we should have gone for 2 is revisionist (but there are a ton of us doing it). The defenses for both sides in this game were too good to assume anything on the offensive side of the ball.

There has been a lot of talk about our WR drops, but one point people fail to mention is the routes being run. Our last actual punt of the game came after a 3rd and 11 we didn't convert, the play unfolded directly in front of my seats in 107. Schor threw an 11 yard out, the ball literally went directly to a spot about 1 foot past the sticks. Our WR ran a 13 yard out, so the ball looked terribly underthrown. But when they got to the sideline it was the WR that got lit up, I can only assume for running a poor route. There was a fair amount of that in this game, and it's my opinion that at least some of that was not dealing well with the physicality of the corners plus pressure up front. The irony is that's been our calling card all year.
    I remember after the JSU Championship game there was talk among their fans of "Seeing someone 'out-NDSU NDSU.'" Kind of the same thing. NDSU did to JMU what JMU was able to do to everyone else this year.

These are simply two evenly matched teams. Watching them play is shortening my life, but it is nice to see both teams finally having "someone their own size" to pick on. I can imagine the next 2-3 championships going back and forth between these two programs. I wouldn't be surprised by both teams winning at least 1 in that stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDak View Post
    And every single "what if" changes the whole template of the game. I usually say, "OK, I'll give you all those catches...and NDSU wins 38-20" because, afterall, if you can pick and choose a couple things to change--all of which benefit your team--then I get to change the same number of things. There were lots of plays that 'should have' been huge gains, and probably touch downs if only JMU didn't get 'lucky' and tackle. Afterall, it was just 'luck' that they happened to have a guy in position to cover the gap that they were responsible for."

When it comes down to it I am becoming convinced that it was, at least in some instances, a "timing thing." If it was "NDSU just got lucky" then 1 receiver having an off day would be believeable. But multiple receivers having drops? Were the passes poorly thrown? Maybe. Or, even if they were "on target" if the receiver was used to catching the ball 4 steps after he had made his break and, suddenly it was there after only 1 step it can be hard to adjust. And I remember a time where Antonio Brown dropped a pass that hit him chest high and in the hands. The broadcasters were mystified, until one of them, a former QB or receiver (don't remember which), pointed out that the QB was Michael Vick, not Roethlisberger so the ball was spinning the opposite direction (Vick throws with his left hand). Just that little change can throw off an athlete like Antonio Brown. How much more can something like a throw coming in at an unexpected time it throw off a receiver in college?

I can also see how frustration would start to set in and the players try to "do too much" and that lead to drops. And, also, knowing that yards and first downs are hard to come by, thinking about YAC and dropping the ball. But those are not "NDSU got lucky." They aren't "JMU played badly." I keep coming back to the statement made by a JMU player after the game, "They made fewer mistakes than we did."
    I just wonder if this scenario answers a question that I wondered about.
    Was JMU under more pressure to win and repeat than NDSU was to just go and win it again.

Quote Originally Posted by wagsabison View Post
    Although we had our field goal block on the second to last drive I liked that drive the best. Everyone knew we were going to run and we burned 5ish min off the clock. Their D was getting tired by that point.
    I'm so so so so angry that we threw on third down there.

It's 3rd and 5. Run the damn balls twice. If they stop us, so be it. Run the ball. Move the chains.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk