Page 65 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Thread: JMU Post Game Thoughts.

VirginiaBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: JMU Post Game Thoughts.

An interesting pre-game analysis of potential 5 "unsung" heros. See how it turned out: https://herosports.com/fcs-champions...-jmu-ndsu-bzbz

Also interesting list of season long injuries leading up to the NC for both JMU and NDSU: https://herosports.com/fcs-champions...s-houston-bzbz

Here is what HeroSports thought were the key matchups for the game: https://herosports.com/fcs-champions...yan-schor-bzbz

JMU pre-game podcast is interesting. https://herosports.com/fcs-champions...claughlin-byby <--ENJOY! The discussion of the mascots ... bulldog vs bison.... they overlook the bulldog is one, while the bison is a herd.

I also think the blowout with the JackRabbits had some carryover affect on the JMU players (and fans) psyche that in the back of their minds they were thinking bunnies=bison
    Last edited by VirginiaBison; 01-15-2018 at 09:36 PM.
    You wanta play football, any school will do; ... You wanta learn football, NDSU is for you!

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUSR View Post
    From a strategic perspective only, if team "A" knows team "B" has no backup kicker it would be worth trying to injure the kicker and taking the 15 yards. In this case, if that were the plan you must assure the kicker is injured. The defenders intent would be obvious.
    JMU did not intend to injure our kicker.
    Case closed.
    I don't think the intent was injury. The intent was they were not going to stop because they had the block dialed up. I think they believed if they went all out at JK with no regard for pulling up, they had a extraordinary chance of blocking it. Worse case was the 15 yards, which was minimal risk. I didn't mean to suggest they were out to injury him. That was an unintended consequence that worked out pretty well for them for the rest of the game. I also think going balls to the wall and not worrying about 15 yards and a new 1st down is not a great idea in a championship game unless it is a chance you take to get back into a game, not the first series of it. Hubris is not pretty when an opponent has it covered.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBison View Post
    I also think the blowout with the JackRabbits had some carryover affect on the JMU players (and fans) psyche that in the back of their minds they were thinking bunnies=bison
    I agree with you on this one -- on social media, it seemed like a significant number of JMU fans were pointing to their defeat of the bunnies, and our loss to them, and using that to predict a blowout -- when you wind up losing, after expecting a totally different outcome it can be devastating, hence the need for grief counseling for some of these people... I think it may have affected their player for the exact same reason -- Coach Houston could have been beating into their head that they were in for a tough fight -- but in the back of their minds they may have believed they were going to beat us worse than the bunnies (similar to the attitude of some of our FBS opponents).

Why is it so much more satisfying when you defeat an overconfident opponent?

Quote Originally Posted by NovaBison View Post
    I agree with you on this one -- on social media, it seemed like a significant number of JMU fans were pointing to their defeat of the bunnies, and our loss to them, and using that to predict a blowout -- when you wind up losing, after expecting a totally different outcome it can be devastating, hence the need for grief counseling for some of these people... I think it may have affected their player for the exact same reason -- Coach Houston could have been beating into their head that they were in for a tough fight -- but in the back of their minds they may have believed they were going to beat us worse than the bunnies (similar to the attitude of some of our FBS opponents).

Why is it so much more satisfying when you defeat an overconfident opponent?
    They weren't only told the Bison are not the Bunnies, they were told why the Bison were not the Bunnies. Also, they were told why the Bunny/Bison game turned out the way it did which has nothing to do with records or indicative of talent. JMU is going to learn this if they stay on top of their conference. Their conference foes are going to recruit and scheme to beat the best program in the conference. Even if they beat no one else, they are developing matchup issues for you.

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    They weren't only told the Bison are not the Bunnies, they were told why the Bison were not the Bunnies. Also, they were told why the Bunny/Bison game turned out the way it did which has nothing to do with records or indicative of talent. JMU is going to learn this if they stay on top of their conference. Their conference foes are going to recruit and scheme to beat the best program in the conference. Even if they beat no one else, they are developing matchup issues for you.
    Agreed, but I also think we need this. Two years undefeated in the CAA is not good for us or the conference, we need SOMEONE to step up and expose our flaws before we get so deep in the playoffs. Weber certainly did that, but who wants to wait until the quarters to find out you've got some issues? Our O-line really struggled at times this year, but no one in the CAA had an offense potent enough to make us pay for our own offensive short-comings. The Bison made us pay for our lack of red zone efficiency, a problem we had all year. 2010-2012 the CAA had some teams at the top that could challenge anyone, but since then it's really only been us the past 2 years (and it would have been the past 4 years, with the right staff in place). We lost the TO battle and thus the game, which is why you lost to SDSU and why we ultimately blew them out. With our starting field position against any other team in the country the game would have been over at halftime, but of course your D isn't like anyone else in the country (except maybe us). It's also ironic that we started last year's championship game with a blocked punt and subsequent TD, only to turn around this year and have the same play blow up in our face. I'm not sure any of you realized that we had that blocked punt against YSU last year, the same kid that blocked it got the roughing penalty this year.

I will be very interested to see how well JMU does next year. Keeping their coaching staff intact is huge but replacing their QB and a large senior class filled with impact players without dropping off will be a challenge. To me for some reason JMU has the feeling of a program that has a better chance of maintaining their status in the FCS. Their strong defensive minded coaching staff is probably a large part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by JMUSteeler View Post
    Agreed, but I also think we need this. Two years undefeated in the CAA is not good for us or the conference, we need SOMEONE to step up and expose our flaws before we get so deep in the playoffs. Weber certainly did that, but who wants to wait until the quarters to find out you've got some issues? Our O-line really struggled at times this year, but no one in the CAA had an offense potent enough to make us pay for our own offensive short-comings. The Bison made us pay for our lack of red zone efficiency, a problem we had all year. 2010-2012 the CAA had some teams at the top that could challenge anyone, but since then it's really only been us the past 2 years (and it would have been the past 4 years, with the right staff in place). We lost the TO battle and thus the game, which is why you lost to SDSU and why we ultimately blew them out. With our starting field position against any other team in the country the game would have been over at halftime, but of course your D isn't like anyone else in the country (except maybe us). It's also ironic that we started last year's championship game with a blocked punt and subsequent TD, only to turn around this year and have the same play blow up in our face. I'm not sure any of you realized that we had that blocked punt against YSU last year, the same kid that blocked it got the roughing penalty this year.
    JMU and NDSU are simply evenly matched teams. Which is why it is fun to watch them face eachother. They finally get to "pick on someone their own size." I also very much agree about the advantages of playing in a "tough conference" and having conference foes that will challenge you. It is even more of a trap for JSU. They go into the playoffs every year insisting "no one respects us." Then after a one-and-done they come to realize that "They are who we thought they were." I go into every year assuming that the team will lose one game, maybe 2, in the conference. While there are teams in weaker conferences that go undefeated they can't see how NDSU (and possibly JMU if they lose a game to a tough conference foe) can possibly be rated ahead of them. But when they have to play those 1 and 2 loss teams they absolutely destroy them.

Also, thanks for the history lesson. I am sure that the JMU team saw at least the potential of a repeat of last year if they could have blocked that punt. And they got darn close. If they block it and go in for a score I can easily imagine the game playing out differently. Whichever team got ahead first would likely have a significant advantage in the game. Just the nature of a game when both defenses are this keyed up and living up to the hype. I respect the heck out of the JMU defense. There were several running plays where I am used to seeing that turn into a 15-25 yard gain but outstanding pursuit, speed and just plain good tackling turned it into a 4-5 yard gain. Looking forward to seeing these guys face off again in the upcoming years. I am sure both teams are chomping at the bit for a chance to play an opponent with a legit chance of beating them at their own game (good defense, good running attack).

Finally, one Steeler fan to another, Sunday was painful.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    I will be very interested to see how well JMU does next year. Keeping their coaching staff intact is huge but replacing their QB and a large senior class filled with impact players without dropping off will be a challenge. To me for some reason JMU has the feeling of a program that has a better chance of maintaining their status in the FCS. Their strong defensive minded coaching staff is probably a large part of that.
    I think how the reload will be telling. If you see lots of fbs dropdowns vrs development, then me thinks jmu will be more of a flash in the pan. it tells me coach is trying win quick get noticed and get an fbs job. on the orher hand, if they look to develop football players...well then they got something

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    I think how the reload will be telling. If you see lots of fbs dropdowns vrs development, then me thinks jmu will be more of a flash in the pan. it tells me coach is trying win quick get noticed and get an fbs job. on the orher hand, if they look to develop football players...well then they got something
    I think due to their location they will always have at least a handful of transfers, but definitely agree they need a strong developmental program if they want to maintain their status among the top teams in the FCS.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDak View Post
    Finally, one Steeler fan to another, Sunday was painful.
    Absolutely the worst, I'm actually a big Vikings fan now because I think they can handle the Patriots due to their strong D. The Eagles with Wentz would have had a chance, I just don't think with Foles they can get it done. Either way, I just want the Patriots to lose.