Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Pittburgh and West Virginia Duals

Default Re: Pittburgh and West Virginia Duals

Popp loses 5-4. No McNutt again with Knutson in his place. Looking like a loss for the team

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator Dad View Post
    I totally disagree with the clasping call. The WVU guy reached down and touch the mat and that is a violation on his part not Popps
    Yeah, it was pretty obvious he wasn't doing it for balance and just trying to get a clasp call. Pretty BS, but that's what I expect from WVU (I don't like Sammie's tactics and antics)

Knutson loses and NDSU has to win the next two matches and get bonus points. WVU has their best wrestler up now with Jake Smith

Eaton loses 6-4 and WVU wins the dual

Dan wins in overtime 4-2, but NDSU loses 19-12

It's been a solid past 2 weeks of wrestling for NDSU, but this was a dud. Outside of 149-165, NDSU looked lethargic and incapable of scoring. Not having McNutt hurt, but West Virginia isn't very good and this was still a very winnable dual

i was wondering if we had the flu or something. Very few of our wrestlers seemed fired up or have much energy. I do not think that anyone wrestled good. I thought Sykora wrestled the worst. He does not seem as good as he was last year. I was hoping he would continue to develop like he did last year. Even our good wrestlers when we needed a major did not seem to have any urgency or flow in their wrestling. Knutson and Midgriff gave their all but they should not be wrestling 141 or 184. When I was at NDSU and lived in Fargo we were division 2 but we had an exciting wrestling style. The Reimnitz's, Petersen, Demarray, Rheingans, Backlund, Saxlund, Kapusta to name a few. The best freshman I maybe have seen at NDSU was a 26 Jim Nelson who at the bison open tore up Jack Eustice in the semi"s and beat Jensen of SDSU in the finals but tore up his knee in that match. He came back but was never the same. He was great on his feet. I hope our freshman and recruits this raise our level such as Shearer, Metz, maybe Van Mannan, Franek, and maybe the Illinois kid who is going for his 3rd straight title. I know if we have wrestled well at times this year but tonight was hard to watch.

The dual vs WVU was not our best, I think there's a few things in play here.
    1) These boys have been living out of a suit case since 12/28. This is the first time that they have been on the road for such a prolonged period of time. I'm sure the coaches will evaluate the schedule and adjust accordingly going forward
    2) I do think a few might be battling some type of bug. I'll use Sykora as my example, Cam is usually a wrestler that has allot more motion and attack in his wrestling and he didn't have that in the dual vs Pitt and WVU. His energy level looked a bit down. (side-note) I know Harleycowboy eluded to Cam wrestling better last year and I think you have to remember that he lost his primary training partner in one Mr Josh Rodriguez, I think he is missing a kid like Josh that forced him to wrestle everyday at high level and that in part might be effecting him but I think Cam is still an excellent wrestler for us and is adjusting to life without Josh and will be ready to go come Big XII Tournament time.
    3) Lineup Adjustments, some of this is due in part to some not performing at the expected levels and some in part to nagging injuries and needing time off to get those injuries healed up in time for the stretch run. I know we all (including the wrestlers themselves) thought and expected more out of a few weights and the coaches are trying to make adjustments in the short term to help the team, while working for the needed improvements for the long run for the team.
    4) Energy Level, you hear and see people post and talk about the "Energy Level" of the team. I have to laugh about this because maybe I have an advantage in that I have gotten to know most of these boys over the last few years. First off they all are extremely competitive, they all want to win every time they walk out on the mat. The part that I have learned about most of these guys on the current team is that they are actually pretty quiet kids on and off the mat. They just don't talk allot. It's pretty funny when you ask them questions because their responses are generally pretty short. It's just their personalities but the fire to compete is there.

Overall I think it was a good road trip for the team, could it have been better? I think the answer is yes and I think the expectation was to win the WVU dual, I think we were in a position to win the dual we lost in the South Beach Duals vs Rider. The issue is an age old one, you need to win more bonus point matches and not give up bonus points when you loose a match. Easy right? LOL I would ask that we pack the house on the remaining home dual schedule and support these kids down the stretch.