Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: For the FBS or bust crowd.......

Default Re: For the FBS or bust crowd.......

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    I agree with this for the most part. You can make an argument that that FCS as a whole isn't quite as good as it used to be. However the top of the FCS is as strong as ever. And the bottom of the FBS, where almost all of the former FCS powerhouses reside, has gotten much worse.
    my personal opinion with the FCS is that the quality at the top is much smaller than it used to be. Realistically there are only 4-5 teams that could possibly make a run on a consistent basis. In the past there were more like 10-12 teams.

That isn't the fault of NDSU. People will say that the other schools just "need to step up". The problem with that mantra however is that "stepping up" usually means spend more money (better coaches, facilities, etc). I believe that in the next 10 years, we will see MANY schools shift athletic funds towards their bell-cow sport and suffocate other sports to the point of starvation. Schools who are marginal at football will cut funding to supply funding to basketball (or visa versa).

After 2018, we are going to graduate 24 seniors. Here is a list of just a few of the guys leaving...

-Easton Stick
    -Bruce Anderson
    -Lance Dunn
    -Greg Menard
    -Robbie Grimsley
    -Darrius Shepard
    -Caleb Butler
    -Jalen Allison
    -Dimitri Williams
    -Dan Marlette
    -Colin Conner

We are losing perhaps a senior class that is deeper than any before and unlike 2014, we will not be brining in a future #2 NFL draft caliber QB. Perhaps we will also be losing Klieman. People keep pretending like a down year will not happen. It will and when it does, nobody will be complaining about level of competition.

where are all your small timey fcs posters that said in 2012 (Oh lets win 5-6 titles then get back to me about FBS)

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL ????????????????????????

Don't you want to see just how BIG NDSU could be? Doesn't ANYONE want to see if NDSU can be in Top 25 FBS poll??
    Maybe it expands to 8 in a couple years to include 2-3 G5 conference champs?? LETS GET NDSU TO THE TOP LEVEL!
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

BisonBacker is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 2011BisonAlumni View Post
    After 2018, we are going to graduate 24 seniors. Here is a list of just a few of the guys leaving...

-Easton Stick
    -Bruce Anderson
    -Lance Dunn
    -Greg Menard
    -Robbie Grimsley
    -Darrius Shepard
    -Caleb Butler
    -Jalen Allison
    -Dimitri Williams
    -Dan Marlette
    -Colin Conner

We are losing perhaps a senior class that is deeper than any before and unlike 2014, we will not be brining in a future #2 NFL draft caliber QB. Perhaps we will also be losing Klieman. People keep pretending like a down year will not happen. It will and when it does, nobody will be complaining about level of competition.
    Up or down years will happen regardless of the level of play you are at so your comment is totally irrelevant. We have lost players and coaches before and yes it will happen again but look at the history of NDSU football. Hell people like to bring it up all the time. Teams that strive for success do it no matter the level of play they are at and if and when we move up that won't change.

Also there were those people saying we couldn't/wouldn't be able to compete at this level when we were still DII. They have been proved wrong just like your comment is.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonBacker View Post
    First off I get that we kicked their asses and know we can compete with them and beat them on any given year. But if you think they are the only football fans who look at the FCS as the red headed stepchild of FBS football you are sorrily mistaken.
    FYI, Gopher fans pretty much feel the same about G5 programs.

For fans of P5 programs, the difference between G5 and FCS is minor.

The G5’s think there is a large difference. For some reason we have fans wanting badly to join that delusional group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Up or down years will happen regardless of the level of play you are at so your comment is totally irrelevant. We have lost players and coaches before and yes it will happen again but look at the history of NDSU football. Hell people like to bring it up all the time. Teams that strive for success do it no matter the level of play they are at and if and when we move up that won't change.

Also there were those people saying we couldn't/wouldn't be able to compete at this level when we were still DII. They have been proved wrong just like your comment is.

I’m not saying we can’t compete. We can. What I’m saying is we are not going to be in the position every year where a deep playoff run is a given.

There are massive obstacles that we have in which we didn’t when we moved up to FCS

1.) We do not have FBS facilities. We had FCS facilities when we moved up from D2. An FBS stadium is not coming any time soon, and no don’t give me the BS that the Fargodome is fine for FBS. It isn’t.
    2.) We do not have a partner even remotely considering the move. Our D1 ou transition does not happen without SDSU.
    3.) During the D1 transition, ND did not have a massive higher education funding issue.

You show me an easy answer to those problems and I’ll support the FBS move.

GRAFTONBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 2011BisonAlumni View Post
    I’m not saying we can’t compete. We can. What I’m saying is we are not going to be in the position every year where a deep playoff run is a given.

There are massive obstacles that we have in which we didn’t when we moved up to FCS

1.) We do not have FBS facilities. We had FCS facilities when we moved up from D2. An FBS stadium is not coming any time soon, and no don’t give me the BS that the Fargodome is fine for FBS. It isn’t.
    2.) We do not have a partner even remotely considering the move. Our D1 ou transition does not happen without SDSU.
    3.) During the D1 transition, ND did not have a massive higher education funding issue.

You show me an easy answer to those problems and I’ll support the FBS move.
    You asked for it, you got it, close the other higher education institutions in the state.

We want 'Bama Texas St.

Gotta pad our OOC schedule so we get a good seed for the playoffs.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

BisonBacker is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by GRAFTONBISON View Post
    You asked for it, you got it, close the other higher education institutions in the state.
    Stop making sense. That doesn't fly in Bismarck! There is no room for common sense in North Dakota Higher Education!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    The teams of the FCS today are as good, if not better than the DI-AA teams of the 1980s to 2000s. It would be similar to saying that today's DII teams couldn't play with the 1980 NDSU teams. We always remember past teams/athletes to better than they actually were.

With all the developmental programs available to kids at a younger age along with better nutrition and treatment, the quantity (and probably quality) of athletic kids is higher than the past. This has led to the FCS/DI-AA schools getting better quality athletes than they did in the past.

The only place in football that seems to be worse is the QB position. With as much as kids play Madden football, one would think that younger kids would be able to understand defenses better and call audibles.
    Today's DII teams couldn't play with the NDSU teams of the 80's and it wouldn't even be close. DII today is shell of its former self. I watched the 80's teams play at Dacotah field and I can tell you it isn't even close.