Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: For the FBS or bust crowd.......

Default Re: For the FBS or bust crowd.......

Quote Originally Posted by BisonBacker View Post
    Have to agree with this. Just go look at the Gopher board to see what FBS fans think of NDSU winning another Natty.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boa...mpionship-Game

I do think they are full of themselves I'll give you that but there is substance to their argument.
    Why pay attention to the opinions of fans of a terrible program when you can pay attention to the opinions of fans of a great program like Alabama.

Goofer fans are insecure and will never acknowledge the greatness of any local programs that are a threat to their team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!

BisonBacker is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    I’m not sure Gopher fans are really the “experts” you need to back up your premise.

The butthurt is real there. We either “steal” their recruits or take the kids they overlook and have kicked their asses on the field the last 3 times we played.

Anybody who has watched over the last 12 years or so can tell you which program is better. It’s not even close.

First off I get that we kicked their asses and know we can compete with them and beat them on any given year. But if you think they are the only football fans who look at the FCS as the red headed stepchild of FBS football you are sorrily mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Why pay attention to the opinions of fans of a terrible program when you can pay attention to the opinions of fans of a great program like Alabama.

Goofer fans are insecure and will never acknowledge the greatness of any local programs that are a threat to their team.

I don't look at other programs with any particular motive ie. looking to say "see look what they are saying about FCS football". I am starting to feel the same way. Be honest with yourself how many teams in the FCS can compete year in and year out with the likes of NDSU, JMU? There is a handful and that's it. The rest have a peak year or two and then disappear into oblivion. Yes I much prefer the playoff format but I also get tired of watching the likes of PVA&M or who ever they get as an OOC game. Most of the MVFC outside of again one or two programs are showing they can compete yearly. USD will be a shell of it's former self without Streveler, SDSU will be no match next year losing the players they lose. Mark this thread down and come revisit it after next season is over. I guess I just wish the damn split with the P5 and the G5 would hurry up and get over with and then we could figure into whatever the G5 and the rest of the upper tier of FCS will become and hopefully have a playoff format. I like winning as much as the next guy but we could just as well do away with the regular season and type out the bracket with who we know will be there at the end and go from there as the Mo. States and the ISU-B's of he MVFC will rarely if ever be able to compete unless something changes dramatically.

Carry on.

Comments from the GSU board.

"BillyBob

Don't care what anyone says...the FCS is top-heavy and when you've got the class of talent JMU and NDSU have it's just not as difficult to win national championships as it used to be.

Unless your preferred explanation is that Craig Bohl, Chris Klieman, and Mike Houston are all better coaches than Erk Russell, Jim Tressel, and Jerry Moore."

"jcountry

Good point.

FCS used to be tough. We played Marshall and UCF a lot. MTSU etc. Many of those teams were good. Certainly better than teams in FCS are now."

If these teams were still at the FCS level I'd say we are where we belong. Truth is we are not.

"BillyBob

Don't care what anyone says...the FCS is top-heavy and when you've got the class of talent JMU and NDSU have it's just not as difficult to win national championships as it used to be.

Unless your preferred explanation is that Craig Bohl, Chris Klieman, and Mike Houston are all better coaches than Erk Russell, Jim Tressel, and Jerry Moore."

"jcountry

Good point.

FCS used to be tough. We played Marshall and UCF a lot. MTSU etc. Many of those teams were good. Certainly better than teams in FCS are now."

If these teams were still at the FCS level I'd say we are where we belong. Truth is we are not.
    To be honest... the GSU message board is not an impartial observer to this.... We just matched their title count with a good opportunity to pass it in the near future. Their comments are likely tainted by an effort to protect their legacy.
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

I will throw this into the argument... Which one of these football teams would be most recognized nationally?

1) South Alabama
    2) Texas State
    3) Mount Union

I would argue the Division 3 school is more recognized than the 2 FBS schools. If part of the function of the athletic department is to serve as a gateway to the school, maybe dominating a lower division makes sense?
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

I don't look at other programs with any particular motive ie. looking to say "see look what they are saying about FCS football". I am starting to feel the same way. Be honest with yourself how many teams in the FCS can compete year in and year out with the likes of NDSU, JMU? There is a handful and that's it. The rest have a peak year or two and then disappear into oblivion. Yes I much prefer the playoff format but I also get tired of watching the likes of PVA&M or who ever they get as an OOC game. Most of the MVFC outside of again one or two programs are showing they can compete yearly. USD will be a shell of it's former self without Streveler, SDSU will be no match next year losing the players they lose. Mark this thread down and come revisit it after next season is over. I guess I just wish the damn split with the P5 and the G5 would hurry up and get over with and then we could figure into whatever the G5 and the rest of the upper tier of FCS will become and hopefully have a playoff format. I like winning as much as the next guy but we could just as well do away with the regular season and type out the bracket with who we know will be there at the end and go from there as the Mo. States and the ISU-B's of he MVFC will rarely if ever be able to compete unless something changes dramatically.

Carry on.
    I'm not sure the SD schools are going to drop off next year as much as we wish they would. SDSU has a few talented receivers that have been under our (us fans) radar. They're on the shorter side, but still reliable. USD's back-up QB this year looked fine when replacing Streveler. Not the same type of player, but a pretty good thrower from the few minutes of action I watched him play.
    Hail the BISON!!!

"BillyBob

"jcountry

Good point.

The teams of the FCS today are as good, if not better than the DI-AA teams of the 1980s to 2000s. It would be similar to saying that today's DII teams couldn't play with the 1980 NDSU teams. We always remember past teams/athletes to better than they actually were.

With all the developmental programs available to kids at a younger age along with better nutrition and treatment, the quantity (and probably quality) of athletic kids is higher than the past. This has led to the FCS/DI-AA schools getting better quality athletes than they did in the past.

The only place in football that seems to be worse is the QB position. With as much as kids play Madden football, one would think that younger kids would be able to understand defenses better and call audibles.
    Hail the BISON!!!

The teams of the FCS today are as good, if not better than the DI-AA teams of the 1980s to 2000s. It would be similar to saying that today's DII teams couldn't play with the 1980 NDSU teams. We always remember past teams/athletes to better than they actually were.

With all the developmental programs available to kids at a younger age along with better nutrition and treatment, the quantity (and probably quality) of athletic kids is higher than the past. This has led to the FCS/DI-AA schools getting better quality athletes than they did in the past.

The only place in football that seems to be worse is the QB position. With as much as kids play Madden football, one would think that younger kids would be able to understand defenses better and call audibles.

Well we'll just have to agree to disagree. Outside of NDSU and one or two other teams over the last couple years there aren't to many that not only can compete now but would have been able to compete back then with the Marshalls, App States and Georgia Southerns to name just a few. If you believe the FCS teams are as good or better than those teams I see no reason to even try to debate with you. NDSU yes but as many or more that are as good? I think not.

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I agree with this for the most part. You can make an argument that that FCS as a whole isn't quite as good as it used to be. However the top of the FCS is as strong as ever. And the bottom of the FBS, where almost all of the former FCS powerhouses reside, has gotten much worse.