Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
I agree with this for the most part. You can make an argument that that FCS as a whole isn't quite as good as it used to be. However the top of the FCS is as strong as ever. And the bottom of the FBS, where almost all of the former FCS powerhouses reside, has gotten much worse.
my personal opinion with the FCS is that the quality at the top is much smaller than it used to be. Realistically there are only 4-5 teams that could possibly make a run on a consistent basis. In the past there were more like 10-12 teams.

That isn't the fault of NDSU. People will say that the other schools just "need to step up". The problem with that mantra however is that "stepping up" usually means spend more money (better coaches, facilities, etc). I believe that in the next 10 years, we will see MANY schools shift athletic funds towards their bell-cow sport and suffocate other sports to the point of starvation. Schools who are marginal at football will cut funding to supply funding to basketball (or visa versa).