Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: For the FBS or bust crowd.......

Default Re: For the FBS or bust crowd.......

Quote Originally Posted by BisonBacker View Post
    Well we'll just have to agree to disagree. Outside of NDSU and one or two other teams over the last couple years there aren't to many that not only can compete now but would have been able to compete back then with the Marshalls, App States and Georgia Southerns to name just a few. If you believe the FCS teams are as good or better than those teams I see no reason to even try to debate with you. NDSU yes but as many or more that are as good? I think not.
    I was thinking about this the other day and I originally agreed with you, however one note is the wins by FCS over FBS.. I didn't do any specific analysis, but it seems like that trend is increasing. Heck it used to be an FBS win was almost an instant ticket to the much smaller playoff field (Its what really got us in our first year). That doesn't seem to be the case any longer.

# of FCS wins over FBS

2017 - 10
    2016 - 10
    2015 - 9
    2014 - 8
    2013 - 16
    2012 - 10
    2011 - 6
    2010 - 7
    2009 - 5
    2008 - 2
    2007 - 9
    2006 - 7
    2005 - 2
    2004 - 6
    Last edited by JMB; 01-17-2018 at 02:08 PM.
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisonBacker View Post
    Well we'll just have to agree to disagree. Outside of NDSU and one or two other teams over the last couple years there aren't to many that not only can compete now but would have been able to compete back then with the Marshalls, App States and Georgia Southerns to name just a few. If you believe the FCS teams are as good or better than those teams I see no reason to even try to debate with you. NDSU yes but as many or more that are as good? I think not.
    The fcs by any measure is the best its ever been. By my count there were two top 40 teams before 2003 (1996 Marshall, 1987 HC) while there have been a dozen since by 6 different programs, and at least one a year except 2010, and several others that were thisclose. NDSU has done it 6 of the last 7 years, JMU twice. Neither mighty GSU nor ASU ever produced a top 40 team, their best were in the high 40's.

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

graph.jpg

the axis is upside down but there is not a very strong case to be made that the FCS is currently weak.

the lines represent the ranking of the #1,2,3,etc FCS team in Sagarin by year. Blue is the #1 team of ever year, orange the #2 team, etc
    Last edited by reformedUNDfan; 01-27-2018 at 03:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    graph.jpg

the axis is upside down but there is not a very strong case to be made that the FCS is currently weak.

Eastern Illinois cutting overall athletic scholarships, looking to save $400,000+

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/2018012...c-scholarships

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    Eastern Illinois cutting overall athletic scholarships, looking to save $400,000+

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/2018012...c-scholarships
    Spineless. Yes, UND is ripe for ripping all the time, but one thing they did right was to cut programs rather than this kind of crap. You have to have a backbone when money is lean and make difficult decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Spineless. Yes, UND is ripe for ripping all the time, but one thing they did right was to cut programs rather than this kind of crap. You have to have a backbone when money is lean and make difficult decisions.
    Illinois isn't known for making wise decisions financially.
    College of Business Alumnus

The thing I find most interesting in all of this thread so far as an outsider is the constant banging on “if CCU, App, and GSU we’re still FCS it would be SO DIFFERENT!!!”

So you’re entire judgement on the competitiveness of the subdivision is three programs, one of which had never really created much noise other than a couple close losses to NDSU, GSU who had three deep runs in the playoffs after a six year drought and App? So really it’s two quality programs and a flash in the pan that didn’t have great facilities or backing for an FCS program and just dove into FBS without a real plan. Hell, after their last natty App has one deep run then one win in the playoffs in their last three appearances. It’s not impossible that they could have had as rough of a patch as Montana is having. I’m fairly certain that if Delaware and Montana get their shit together and you add on the rise of teams like JMU, SDSU, adding Idaho, and your yearly random MVFC team it’s pretty easy to say those teams void is being replaced. Also, a team like Kennesaw sure seems like it could be poised to be a power.

Really the main problem isn’t just that two storied programs left. It’s that they left and two of the other historic programs bombed hard. I’m not saying you can’t be pro FBS but to pretend the entire FCS is trash because two teams left is a bit much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remember Hunters Safety-Treat Every Hunter as if He Were Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 76 View Post
    The thing I find most interesting in all of this thread so far as an outsider is the constant banging on “if CCU, App, and GSU we’re still FCS it would be SO DIFFERENT!!!”

So you’re entire judgement on the competitiveness of the subdivision is three programs, one of which had never really created much noise other than a couple close losses to NDSU, GSU who had three deep runs in the playoffs after a six year drought and App? So really it’s two quality programs and a flash in the pan that didn’t have great facilities or backing for an FCS program and just dove into FBS without a real plan. Hell, after their last natty App has one deep run then one win in the playoffs in their last three appearances. It’s not impossible that they could have had as rough of a patch as Montana is having. I’m fairly certain that if Delaware and Montana get their shit together and you add on the rise of teams like JMU, SDSU, adding Idaho, and your yearly random MVFC team it’s pretty easy to say those teams void is being replaced. Also, a team like Kennesaw sure seems like it could be poised to be a power.

Really the main problem isn’t just that two storied programs left. It’s that they left and two of the other historic programs bombed hard. I’m not saying you can’t be pro FBS but to pretend the entire FCS is trash because two teams left is a bit much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So while delaware and Montana continue to be stuck in mud, sdsu and jmu are certainly likely to regress back to the pack after losing a shit ton of talent meanwhile ndsu will likely be just as good this yr....Then what are you saying?

Most of us who can read the fcs landscape take what you just said with a grain of salt. Kennesaw st isn't going to pose a threat to ndsu this upcoming season. Sam Houston st isn't going to. JMU isn't. You guys aren't. Montana isn't.

Who knows how good app and gsu would be. I know apps won a few bowl games and gsu has been more rocky than smooth with the move up...but there damn well would've been something brewing after the 2012 game when they came out during ndsus intros and punched them in the mouth and wasn't afraid of them at all. Of course having McKinnon helps

Thumper and Longhorn..........don't you guys ever sleep?