Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey JMU fans....Virginia food ideas?

Default Re: Hey JMU fans....Virginia food ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTeacher View Post
    Oh lawd. Streamers salad for u fruitcup. Notice this not a smack thread. Was looking for real suggestions. But apparently jmu hasnofood traditions...just streamers.
    Well then, I am not only a JMU alum, but also a native of the Shenandoah Valley. My family is from the Blue Ridge mountains about 20 miles east of Harrisonburg. We grew crops in the summer, raised livestock and butchered in the late fall/early winter. We had a smokehouse to preserve meat. Some of my favorite dishes growing up might be considered a little bland, but chicken and dumplings are awesome, as is beans and ham hocks with cornbread, both mountain staples. I still cook up a meal of mountain grub once in a while. My kids and grandkids love it. The one thing Virginia is know for is its country ham. Buy a Smithfield ham when in VA. The best!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    Well then, I am not only a JMU alum, but also a native of the Shenandoah Valley. My family is from the Blue Ridge mountains about 20 miles east of Harrisonburg. We grew crops in the summer, raised livestock and butchered in the late fall/early winter. We had a smokehouse to preserve meat. Some of my favorite dishes growing up might be considered a little bland, but chicken and dumplings are awesome, as is beans and ham hocks with cornbread, both mountain staples. I still cook up a meal of mountain grub once in a while. My kids and grandkids love it. The one thing Virginia is know for is its country ham. Buy a Smithfield ham when in VA. The best!
    That's better. But ham and blueberry muffins? That's all we got? No little delicacies from bars restaurant s near campus?
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

Quote Originally Posted by GSUsTALON View Post
    Why would you do that to a white fish when you could beer batter & fry it.

Lye, It sounds like it could stay on the counter for a year without refrigeration.
    I believe it was a necessary evil when it came to storing fish way back in the days before our farming ancestors decided to build boats and go on “trips” that might have had nefarious reasons behind them.

Why us Norwegians kept Lutefisk as a tradition is beyond me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!

So, what are North Dakota favorites?

GSUsTALON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I believe it was a necessary evil when it came to storing fish way back in the days before our farming ancestors decided to build boats and go on “trips” that might have had nefarious reasons behind them.

Why us Norwegians kept Lutefisk as a tradition is beyond me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Smoked vs lye. I don't know my friend!
    Georgia Southern Spread Option Football - Out weighed but seldom out played! Of course, GSU doesn’t run the Spread anymore – but still!

If I want your opinion I’ll tell you what it should be! wwwGSUFANS.com (TALON TALK) Go Bison

I don't know about ND fans but in South Dakota they like to stuff a rabbit inside a sheep & then the sheep inside something else like a ground hog or something. They then roast it over coals derived from an old open pit coal mine! Call them crazy but its a big hit in Deadwood! Bison Oysters?
    Last edited by GSUsTALON; 01-02-2018 at 06:24 AM.
    Georgia Southern Spread Option Football - Out weighed but seldom out played! Of course, GSU doesn’t run the Spread anymore – but still!

If I want your opinion I’ll tell you what it should be! wwwGSUFANS.com (TALON TALK) Go Bison

Start your own thread and answer the question.

Just some things from my college years... Pickled eggs, pretzels and Ranch. Turf burgers. Beer schooners. Taco shop grinders. Stumplifters. Long island teas.
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

That's better. But ham and blueberry muffins? That's all we got? No little delicacies from bars restaurant s near campus?
    Its a simple diet but a tasty one for Shenandoah Valley folk! So roast a slab of hog & bake a few blueberry muffins for the guy!

Throw in some Bison Oysters to make it homey!
    Last edited by GSUsTALON; 01-02-2018 at 06:46 AM.

Start your own thread and answer the question.

Just some things from my college years... Pickled eggs, pretzels and Ranch. Turf burgers. Beer schooners. Taco shop grinders. Stumplifters. Long island teas.
    Pickled eggs? Are you talking chicken or goose eggs? Turf Burgers sound like Bison chips smoked over an open fire. Beer and Tacos sound good though.

Hotdish....
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie