Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey JMU fans....Virginia food ideas?

Default Re: Hey JMU fans....Virginia food ideas?

agreed....what is your pit?

i cover mine when it hits 165....supposed to help push it through the stall.....i dunno?

another tip is use a grill gauge. those temp gauges shooting out the top of your gril/bbq/smoker lid can and most likely are way off the grate temp

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    like Pat said and dont skimp on the rest.
    For brisket let it rest 2-4 hours. the closer to 4 the better. .[U]wrap it in a moving blanket[/U]. And, Yes, at 4 hours wrapped in a blanket, it will be hot...just like u took out of the oven. Also carve it correctly...knife at an angle and cut against the grain. Dont forget those burnt ends. btw...nick a side prior to smoking as a key to the grain direction....the grains run differt forvthe point and the round.

temp...i use an offset stick burner and i let mine bounce between 225 and 250
    Thats exactly what I use.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

i cover mine when it hits 165....supposed to help push it through the stall.....i dunno?

another tip is use a grill gauge. those temp gauges shooting out the top of your gril/bbq/smoker lid can and most likely are way off the grate temp
    Ah, the Texas crutch. Wrapping in foil. It does make it cook faster but it changes the flavor to be more roast beef than BBQ. I gone to wrapping in butcher paper and I run hotter in the 275-300 degree range. What a difference that made in my brisket. Simply Devine. As you mentioned a nice long rest is very important.

Now I'm hungry for brisket. I'll have to wait 3 weeks untill I'm in Texas again.

Quote Originally Posted by Olton Hall View Post
    Ah, the Texas crutch. Wrapping in foil. It does make it cook faster but it changes the flavor to be more roast beef than BBQ. I gone to wrapping in butcher paper and I run hotter in the 275-300 degree range. What a difference that made in my brisket. Simply Devine. As you mentioned a nice long rest is very important.

Now I'm hungry for brisket. I'll have to wait 3 weeks untill I'm in Texas again.
    i have read paper is better than foil, but never talked to anyone real or tried it. u realy think it has that much of an impact on tast?

i have read paper is better than foil, but never talked to anyone real or tried it. u realy think it has that much of an impact on tast?
    I wrap in foil and place in a paper grocery bag.
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

I generally use paper as it does give it a less Sunday roast flavor and the bark is a bit crunchier since it's not getting steamed. If someone choose to finish the brisket off an oven, paper can only be used if it's an electric off since gas ovens give off a lot of moisture and makes the paper soggy and fall apart. With foil it doesn't matter if you finish it off in a smoker or a stove once it's wrapped.

All other foods I wrap in foil.

Peach paper

Quote Originally Posted by Olton Hall View Post
    I generally use paper as it does give it a less Sunday roast flavor and the bark is a bit crunchier since it's not getting steamed. If someone choose to finish the brisket off an oven, paper can only be used if it's an electric off since gas ovens give off a lot of moisture and makes the paper soggy and fall apart. With foil it doesn't matter if you finish it off in a smoker or a stove once it's wrapped.

All other foods I wrap in foil.
    Have you tried wrapping it in streamers?

I suspect that foil causes the brisket to braise more during the rest. (braise = low heat + moisture) The foil would also soften the outer crust from the increased moisture trapped near the exterior. I'd think paper would be less likely to do either of those. Don't know if it would change the flavor so much as the surface texture. Neither is wrong, just different strokes for different folks.

A HUGE difference. Paper still allows it to breathe whereas foil causes it to steam. Foil meat will be tender for sure because no moisture leaves, but it's a different texture. I also spritz with apple cider vinegar fairly often.

I have a Brinkmann Trail Master Limited Edition. It's not "great" by any means, but it gets the job done. I do wood fired pizzas on it among other things, I just let the fire build extremely hot and put the pizzas right by the fire box. Easily gets to 5-600 degrees. What do you have?

I use oven thermometers in various spots in my pit so I can identify hot spots and move meat around to keep an even temp.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.