Page 118 of 161 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1607

Thread: NDSU vs JMU

Default Re: NDSU vs JMU

Quote Originally Posted by StL Bison Fan View Post
    I understand their reasoning with the streamers (actually no purple)
    It's all fun and games until someone puts an eye out...

And gets a lawyer
    I can't think of anything that NDSU had to deal with like that. Sure we had videogate because of SDSU but NDSU just went ahead and beat the shit out of them. Now everyone gets to play a video. I don't mind. I think it is interesting to see what other schools put together. Ticketgate with JSU and Towson, but they weren't really going to buy those seats anyways. I remember SHSU fans talking like they were going to drive down the road like a huge train and we were buying tickets they returned. We certainly encouraged the 3 year pack. They need to bring that back again. JSU bandgate over having to use part of their allotment. Fireworksgate. That was on the pep rally people not NDSU directly.

Videogate
    Ticketgate
    Bandgate
    Fireworksgate
    Streamergate

That is all I can think of.

For the record, I've been around JMU football games since the late '80's and I've never thrown a single streamer. In fact, I don't even remember it being a "thing" when I was in college. I can't really tell you when it became a big deal again, there is one alum who's a little older than me who would bring trash bags of them to games. These last few years it's really become a big deal, in 2008 when we beat UR on a punt return on the last play of the game I can remember their stadium being literally covered in inches of streamers. It's a tradition that really seems to piss off a lot of people, though some places, like Elon this year, were actually loving it. Speaking of UR (and Towson), they were the first places to ban our streamers, and be serious about ejecting fans for having them. Ironically, the first year UR banned them and ejected people for them they actually passed our red and blue ones to their student section to throw. But that's classic UR, they make rules not adhere to them. Pick whichever school you hate the most, that's how we feel about them.....forever and always.

One quick add, some of our students (I would guess) were throwing them at the YSU sideline last year during the game. They were warned for it, and it was annoying enough to really set off one of the assistant coaches. This year it happened against Weber, after a Weber player threw a punch on their sideline during a scrum. However, you want to turn a harmless 1-3 oz object into an issue real quick start chucking it at people on the field of play. It's stupid, and no it's not ever going to actually hurt anyone but you give overly officious administrators the opportunity to be overly officious and they're never going to turn down the chance. I'm not surprised at this, after last year. Of course the NCAA is at their hypocritical finest, advertising before our games with SDSU that we should "let the streamers fly" then banning them for the next game. But saying the NCAA is hypocritical is like saying the sky is blue.

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I can't think of anything that NDSU had to deal with like that. Sure we had videogate because of SDSU but NDSU just went ahead and beat the shit out of them. Now everyone gets to play a video. I don't mind. I think it is interesting to see what other schools put together. Ticketgate with JSU and Towson, but they weren't really going to buy those seats anyways. I remember SHSU fans talking like they were going to drive down the road like a huge train and we were buying tickets they returned. We certainly encouraged the 3 year pack. They need to bring that back again. JSU bandgate over having to use part of their allotment. Fireworksgate. That was on the pep rally people not NDSU directly.

Videogate
    Ticketgate
    Bandgate
    Fireworksgate
    Streamergate

That is all I can think of.
    Hategate, everyone hates SHSU.
    From the movie THE PROGRAM

Regent Chairman: This is not a football vocational school. It's an institute for higher learning.
    Coach Winters: Yeah, but when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment? Why don't you stick the bow-tie up your ass?

Bison by 17 on this one, and the game isn't even as close as the score indicates. JMU is nothing more than another over-rated southern team with a band. And streamers.

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by JMUSteeler View Post
    For the record, I've been around JMU football games since the late '80's and I've never thrown a single streamer. In fact, I don't even remember it being a "thing" when I was in college. I can't really tell you when it became a big deal again, there is one alum who's a little older than me who would bring trash bags of them to games. These last few years it's really become a big deal, in 2008 when we beat UR on a punt return on the last play of the game I can remember their stadium being literally covered in inches of streamers. It's a tradition that really seems to piss off a lot of people, though some places, like Elon this year, were actually loving it. Speaking of UR (and Towson), they were the first places to ban our streamers, and be serious about ejecting fans for having them. Ironically, the first year UR banned them and ejected people for them they actually passed our red and blue ones to their student section to throw. But that's classic UR, they make rules not adhere to them. Pick whichever school you hate the most, that's how we feel about them.....forever and always.

One quick add, some of our students (I would guess) were throwing them at the YSU sideline last year during the game. They were warned for it, and it was annoying enough to really set off one of the assistant coaches. This year it happened against Weber, after a Weber player threw a punch on their sideline during a scrum. However, you want to turn a harmless 1-3 oz object into an issue real quick start chucking it at people on the field of play. It's stupid, and no it's not ever going to actually hurt anyone but you give overly officious administrators the opportunity to be overly officious and they're never going to turn down the chance. I'm not surprised at this, after last year. Of course the NCAA is at their hypocritical finest, advertising before our games with SDSU that we should "let the streamers fly" then banning them for the next game. But saying the NCAA is hypocritical is like saying the sky is blue.
    To me it has nothing to do with the fact that they might hurt someone. It has everything to do with the fact that no player or coach should be subject to having things thrown at them, NONE and NOTHING. I don't give a shit if it's popcorn, it's TRASHY as shit and any group of fans that gets behind that is pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I have to say it. You win the game in the trenches. The Rams have been getting meaner every game. The regular season was bookended with 600+ yards of offense games. I am impressed by SHSU getting out of the Fargodome with only giving up one sack against the 8 man rotation, but they had him running. If JMU starts out slow, they may get forced into being one dimensional and having to pass a lot. 99 times out of a 100, you are not going to beat the Bison passing the ball.

I know no one likes McFeely, but he did have a pretty good article about how many times the Bison have been beaten decisively in the past 7 years. I tend to agree with him here. It has been twice. SDSU and UNI. The two programs who spend every waking moment looking for ways to beat the Bison. The Bison has to work against the entire field and does not get that opportunity to focus more than 6 days against anyone, except after the semi finals and a bye. In both cases they haven't lost in a very long time.

JMU fans are kind of funny. I think it is very impressive their school beat the Bison in the dome last season. They won a championship. The mark used to be 2 before you get talked about among the greatest. The mark is now 5. All NDSU has to do is win and in the long run, JMU becomes a footnote. That is a lot of pressure. NDSU wins and the focus returns to the continued dynasty with a small hiccup. A footnote. JMU isn't playing for a national championship, they are playing to avoid becoming a football history footnote. NDSU has no pressure. They lose and it is only the second playoff loss in 7 years and are still a dynasty. NDSU wins and everything else is completely forgotten about. Sadly, that will also be the 2016 champion. Who was that school that won in the middle of NDSU's great run? I don't know.
    Meh... I wouldn't say NDSU has no pressure. If JMU wins this one there's no denying that they're the standard everyone is chasing in the FCS right now. Their run wouldn't be nearly as impressive as the NDSU run from '11-'15 but you'd have to have your head in the sand to not see that JMU has passed NDSU as the best program in the FCS currently if they win. If the Bison win it's much like you said; just a continuation of a dynasty after a brief blip. This game really is a tipping point for the balance of power in the FCS. It will shift decisively in favor of the team that wins this game.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    Bison by 17 on this one, and the game isn't even as close as the score indicates. JMU is nothing more than another over-rated southern team with a band. And streamers.
    Ha, that's great analysis. You really know your football.

RonMexico is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tke View Post
    My favorite response is the JMU saying this is done to give the Bison a leg up. Clearly JMU players gather strength from the tossing of streamers. It's like Samson with his hair. Makes perfect sense.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Yeah...I can't even count the number of times that Mike Houston and the JMU players have been in an after-game press conference and said " You know, if it wasn't for those streamers, we would have lost that game."

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    To me it has nothing to do with the fact that they might hurt someone. It has everything to do with the fact that no player or coach should be subject to having things thrown at them, NONE and NOTHING. I don't give a shit if it's popcorn, it's TRASHY as shit and any group of fans that gets behind that is pathetic.
    Yeah, the injury thing is a specious reason. For some reason nobody wants to acknowledge the obvious, YSU had a legitimate complaint last year and now everyone will pay the price. It was inevitable. You can't throw ANY object on the field or on the opposing team's sideline, eventually someone takes it too far and suddenly you're West Virginia and people are chucking AA batteries at the opposing teams fans. What's the NCAA supposed to do with a legitimate complaint, besides quit working it into your advertising?

Quote Originally Posted by JMUSteeler View Post

I've been reading up on this because it's really fascinating. The reason you can't remember it during your time in college was it started at football games in 2004. If you are over 35, you didn't have it in college.

Phil Cockrell, a man who is now in his 50's and really REALLY worked up about this decided that since they do it at basketball games, why not at football games?
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯