Page 134 of 161 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 1607

Thread: NDSU vs JMU

Default Re: NDSU vs JMU

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    I hope that Klieman works the refs a little bit. JMU gets away with a ton of holding and contact. I get aggressive but that SDSU game was bananas.
    They haven't announced what conference officials are working the title game yet. In past years refstripes.com has had a thread where they posted the assignments but I've seen nothing this year until the game notes come out the day of the game.

If someone it would be fairly easy to look up other games in this year's playoffs worked by that conference/crew to see how tight their whistles are... especially on PI.

gumby013 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    They haven't announced what conference officials are working the title game yet. In past years refstripes.com has had a thread where they posted the assignments but I've seen nothing this year until the game notes come out the day of the game.

If someone it would be fairly easy to look up other games in this year's playoffs worked by that conference/crew to see how tight their whistles are... especially on PI.
    I think it's been the Southland in most of the games where Sam Houston hasn't played. The Southland is the partner conference with the NCAA to run the game.
    Looking good Billy Ray!

Quote Originally Posted by gumby013 View Post
    I think it's been the Southland in most of the games where Sam Houston hasn't played. The Southland is the partner conference with the NCAA to run the game.
    It was a Southland crew that worked that first playoff game this year against San Diego. Overall I thought they were pretty good. They only called 7 penalties for 70 yards total; 3 for 25 against San Diego and 4 for 45 against NDSU. But they did call 3 PIs in the game. One was a very ticky tack call on Grimsley in the 2nd quarter on a ball that was clearly uncatchable and with not much contact (link). The 2nd was a legit call on Bridges although the ball again was probably out of the receivers reach but it was an egregious push by Bridges (link). The last one was called on San Diego on the last TD of the game where RJ got mauled but pulled in the TD catch one handed anyway so it was declined.

I know they did other games in the playoffs as well because I recall seeing that same white hat making calls in other playoffs games I watched.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post

I haven't heard yet either. A good friend of mine in the MVFC would have worked it if the Bison weren't playing. The good and bad of working in the best FCS conference in the country. The MVFC hasn't worked the championship game since 2006.

Here's some good information for PI that may help you analyze what is called. For PI the action should fall into one of 6 categories:
    1 - Early contact not playing the ball - this is the guy who is definitely beat and not looking back at the ball. He gets very little latitude with early contact. This does not include hand fighting. Feet getting tangled is not a foul if the defender is running with the receiver. If he's beat and not playing the ball then it's likely going to be a foul.
    2 - Playing through the back - the receiver is between the defender and the ball and the defender goes through the back of the receiver before the ball arrives. If it's bang-bang let it go.
    3 - Hook and turn - usually on crossing routes the defender may have his back hand on the waist or shoulder of the receiver. If the then reaches around with his front hand to defend the pass and the back hand turns the defender, it fits this category.
    4 - Arm grab - when the defender grabs the arm of the receiver preventing him from using it to make a catch, this is DPI. This is often subtle and seen from an offside wing or the back judge on an inside out look. The covering wings are often blocked from seeing this. If both players are hand fighting this is often ignored unless the defender blatantly grabs and holds the arm for an extended period of time.
    5 - Arm bar - similar to a grab, but this involves the defender putting his arm across the body of the receiver preventing him from raising one or both arms. One arm catch attempts are often indicators of one of these two but not always. Some guys just like to be Odell Beckham.
    6 - Cut off route - usually receiver using his body to run the receiver OOB on a sideline routes. If receiver has inside position he has a right to the ball, but he can't use his body to move the receiver of his route. This category is not very common though.

You often hear about PI being ignored if the pass is uncatchable. This is true, but it is not used often. Players at the D1 level are incredibly athletic so unless the ball lands well out of bounds or well short, it's not likely to be used. The official ruling uncatchable though is often not the same one who flags the PI. The covering official is more focused on the action of the players and is not watching the ball. Someone with a wider view is more likely to see the ball in relation to the contact and will go to the covering official if he feels the pass was uncatchable. It's still up to the calling official to ultimately determine if the flag should be picked up. He'll usually listen to the other guy though if he's positive it was uncatchable.

There is still judgment involved and even the best officials will debate some PI calls/no calls when reviewed on video. But for the most part it is fairly consistent. Understanding these categories and the philosophies behind them takes a lot of experience and seeing many of these both on video and on the field. But as a casual fan I think it can help you look at two different situations that maybe seemed inconsistent.

Newest article from Greg Madia:

https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/big-game-bryan

QB Bryan Schor - looks like 21 TD’s, only 4 INT’s in 8 playoff games

Even Bison coach Chris Klieman said he sees why JMU is so confident on offense playing through Schor.

“He’s a winner. He just makes plays,” Klieman said. “Very similar to what we have in [NDSU junior quarterback] Easton Stick.

“I think to get to this stage you have to have a quarterback that’s a winner, that’s a playmaker, that the moment’s not too big for them and that’s no question, both quarterbacks in this game are like that.”

Stick has thrown for 10 touchdowns compared to just one interception this postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    A little lite reading before the FBS semis today,
    Not sure if already posted - articles by Greg Madia, the JMU beat writer.

https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news...p-for-jmu-ndsu

The Dukes proved they’re deepest perhaps on the offensive line as the unit has been pushed to use everyone at the position that was on the two-deep to start the year......

......With the shuffling JMU has done on its front, it’s possible two freshmen start the title game, with redshirt freshman Zaire Bethea filling Bolden’s left guard position and true freshman Liam Fornadel getting the nod at right guard as senior Nick Edwards slides to right tackle.

After the Dukes knocked off South Dakota State, Houston said both Bethea and Fornadel were up to the challenge against the Jackrabbits.

“Liam and Zaire were outstanding,” Houston said. “[Left tackle Aaron] Stinnie, Nick [Edwards] and [center] Mac Patrick were as well, but they’re older players, are experienced and have been there, but those two freshmen played really well.”
    LT Aaron Stinnie - SR - 6’ 5” 309
    LG Zaire Bethea - RFR - 6’ 3” 300
    C Mac Patrick - Soph - 6’ 2” 295
    RG Liam Fornadel - FR - 6’ 4” 309
    RT Nick Edwards - SR - 6’ 4” 287

Carter Brothers Make Important Contributions For JMU
    https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news...utions-for-jmu

“There is starting to become a little bit of a rivalry between the two schools,” second-year JMU coach Mike Houston said Thursday during a teleconference with both Lonestar State-bound coaches.
    https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/mutual-feelings

Has anyone heard if we an park tailgate rigs Friday night?
    If no one knows, I will call them.
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

their new guy was on the radio- said no parking the night before and doesnt want 'anyone to line up for tailgating before 7 am'. His first year managing it....may be the last.

I put even money on no one caring.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonhp330 View Post
    their new guy was on the radio- said no parking the night before and doesnt want 'anyone to line up for tailgating before 7 am'. His first year managing it....may be the last.
    Seems like they haven't thought this through very well.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I haven't heard yet either. A good friend of mine in the MVFC would have worked it if the Bison weren't playing. The good and bad of working in the best FCS conference in the country. The MVFC hasn't worked the championship game since 2006.

Here's some good information for PI that may help you analyze what is called. For PI the action should fall into one of 6 categories:
    1 - Early contact not playing the ball - this is the guy who is definitely beat and not looking back at the ball. He gets very little latitude with early contact. This does not include hand fighting. Feet getting tangled is not a foul if the defender is running with the receiver. If he's beat and not playing the ball then it's likely going to be a foul.
    2 - Playing through the back - the receiver is between the defender and the ball and the defender goes through the back of the receiver before the ball arrives. If it's bang-bang let it go.
    3 - Hook and turn - usually on crossing routes the defender may have his back hand on the waist or shoulder of the receiver. If the then reaches around with his front hand to defend the pass and the back hand turns the defender, it fits this category.
    4 - Arm grab - when the defender grabs the arm of the receiver preventing him from using it to make a catch, this is DPI. This is often subtle and seen from an offside wing or the back judge on an inside out look. The covering wings are often blocked from seeing this. If both players are hand fighting this is often ignored unless the defender blatantly grabs and holds the arm for an extended period of time.
    5 - Arm bar - similar to a grab, but this involves the defender putting his arm across the body of the receiver preventing him from raising one or both arms. One arm catch attempts are often indicators of one of these two but not always. Some guys just like to be Odell Beckham.
    6 - Cut off route - usually receiver using his body to run the receiver OOB on a sideline routes. If receiver has inside position he has a right to the ball, but he can't use his body to move the receiver of his route. This category is not very common though.

You often hear about PI being ignored if the pass is uncatchable. This is true, but it is not used often. Players at the D1 level are incredibly athletic so unless the ball lands well out of bounds or well short, it's not likely to be used. The official ruling uncatchable though is often not the same one who flags the PI. The covering official is more focused on the action of the players and is not watching the ball. Someone with a wider view is more likely to see the ball in relation to the contact and will go to the covering official if he feels the pass was uncatchable. It's still up to the calling official to ultimately determine if the flag should be picked up. He'll usually listen to the other guy though if he's positive it was uncatchable.

There is still judgment involved and even the best officials will debate some PI calls/no calls when reviewed on video. But for the most part it is fairly consistent. Understanding these categories and the philosophies behind them takes a lot of experience and seeing many of these both on video and on the field. But as a casual fan I think it can help you look at two different situations that maybe seemed inconsistent.
    Great info, and interesting point about the uncatchable pass. We had one of those early in the Weber St. game, it was along their sideline and the ball was thrown well out of bounds. PI called on #6 Moreland for us, and the place went nuts because of the uncatchable nature of the pass. However, there was NO doubt it was PI so to your point that ref called what he saw and didn't try to make a judgement on what is or isn't catchable for a 6'5" D1 athlete.