Page 43 of 161 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU vs JMU

Default Re: NDSU vs JMU

What would be the ultimate is if we can get the JMU the school or a high profile rep of the school etc to tell/encourage their fans to ignore the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I'm not sure what rule they would use to enforce that. There is one affectionately called the God rule that allows the referee to rule any way he sees fit if it's not covered specifically in the rules. A common example used is a runner clear down the sideline for an obvious touchdown and someone from the defensive bench runs out and tackles him. It's illegal participation but the referee could award a touchdown using the God rule. Maybe this is a preemptive use of that rule. I'll see if there is something else in the rule book that could cover this.

In the Alabama HS state finals last week there was a game where the offense was driving down for the winning score and in FG range. The clock was ruining with less than 15 seconds left and they were lined up to run a play. Someone came from the offensive bench and was running around the field. The officials stopped the game and huddled. The offense wouldn't likely have had time to run their FG unit on the field in time but now that the clock was stopped they had a chance to do that. The crew decided to use the God rule to penalize them 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct. It's not obvious the team sent this guy out. Reports after the game indicate he was just a fan who jumped the fence. This pushed them out of FG range and they threw an interception on the next play.

Lots of discussion in the officiating world if that was the right way to handle it. I would hate to give the offense an advantage whether or not they were involved, but I'm not sure that is proper use of the God rule. If you let that go though you open up the possibility of other teams doing something similar on purpose.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Who came up with the piece of paper rule thing for the first down in the NFL game. Never saw that one before.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Who came up with the piece of paper rule thing for the first down in the NFL game. Never saw that one before.
    They are free to use any device to distinguish the space between the ball and the pole... it's just unusual. At least that's what I have read

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    They are free to use any device to distinguish the space between the ball and the pole... it's just unusual. At least that's what I have read
    And very unscientific, but then again how how scientific does one need to be when the initial mark is made by a guy sprinting along the sideline and marking progress with his foot.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    Seriously, much respect for the Bison and your accomplishments. Should be an awesome time in Frisco. Long-range weather forecast says 60 degrees, which obviously could change, but anything close would be a welcome change from last year's 11 degrees.

In the meantime, here's wishing you all the merriest Christmas ever and the best of everything in 2018!
    Geez... the 3 times I've been there it's been cold as shit on gamedays but 70s on the days prior leading up.

11 degrees would be miserable streamer throwing weather

Quote Originally Posted by CentennialBison View Post
    Yea, no one cares for your props bro.
    Yeah, well, you're getting 'em anyway.
    Last edited by bulldogg; 12-20-2017 at 04:09 AM.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    And very unscientific, but then again how how scientific does one need to be when the initial mark is made by a guy sprinting along the sideline and marking progress with his foot.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    All very true. They are all estimates. The wings get pretty good at getting those spots fairly accurate.

One trick you'll see most officials use on most of the field is starting each new series on a yard line. Since they are all estimates anyway does it really matter if it's the 22.5 or 23 yard line? Either way they only have to get 10 yards to get a first down. By starting on a yard line you can now use the lines on the field as your guide rather than the chains. Then the wings treat the line to gain similar to the goal line. If you determine the runner made the line, make sure you spot it at or being the line. If it's short, make sure it's short. Then you have almost no need to ever measure.

On that play they had to reach the 40 and the nose of the ball was on the 40. He probably knew it was a first down before he brought out the chains. That can be a big risk of the clip guy didn't get the clip on the right link and has the chains off.

I've heard of very rare occasions where the referee uses a card to verify the gap, but it's generally discouraged. Make a decision and go with it. I think he was just trying to oversell the call. I think Steratore is a great official so I'm curious to see if there are any repercussions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    gosh, that is really a toss-up. Gotta think on that.

The whole Plano thing puzzles me everyone knows......... Plano/Frisco is Our House!!!
    I prefer this version

Quote Originally Posted by kristind View Post
    I prefer this version

for sure!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    Yeah, well, you're getting 'em anyway.
    Why'd you edit it? You know once something is on the internet it never goes away.

I only speak for myself. But seeing no one gives a shit about your props, looks like you are aren't making prop buds here. Dogg..