Page 23 of 161 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU vs JMU

Default Re: NDSU vs JMU

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW IT ALL View Post
    Remove the two worst plays and two biggest plays from most any game stats and you will see a huge difference in stat totals when "comparison shopping"! JMU we know is for real, they beat us in our own house last year. I'm picking Bison by a touchdown but this game is a "PICK'M".
    This game was particularly weighted more than most though. 60% of their rush yards and 33% of their total yards came on two plays. Take away NDSU's two longest plays in the SHSU game they still put up 520 total yards and 350 rushing yards.

It was similar to Weber's offense against JMU. They were shut down by JMU for the majority of that game but hit on a couple long passes that made things look better for the Weber offense than it really was.

Schor makes JMU go. He can make most of the throws (arm strength isn't what we had with Carson, but then again who would have that) and throws his guys open quite often. We will need the DL to disrupt, but also contain him. Keeping him in the pocket is good...him drifting to his right isn't good for us. He doesn't do well drifting to his left finding guys. SDSU had a bad game plan...sweeps to Goddert, very slow developing plays...they don't work against JMU. Messingham will be ready for these guys with a plan as they have a very good defensive unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
    watching Rosenboom on those two long runs is almost unbelievable. Kid is not going to want to watch that film. The bigger problem is that SDSU just quit on the run, which was working.
    He made some embarrassing mental mistakes. Oh well, he deserves some humility.

I think Stig was so pissed at Taryn that he left him in to make him suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by TateMosersneighbor View Post
    Schor makes JMU go. He can make most of the throws (arm strength isn't what we had with Carson, but then again who would have that) and throws his guys open quite often. We will need the DL to disrupt, but also contain him. Keeping him in the pocket is good...him drifting to his right isn't good for us. He doesn't do well drifting to his left finding guys. SDSU had a bad game plan...sweeps to Goddert, very slow developing plays...they don't work against JMU. Messingham will be ready for these guys with a plan as they have a very good defensive unit.
    I agree on Schor, he is elusive and hard to sack for a loss. He's more dangerous out-of-the-pocket than in, especially running to his right, as you say. Abdullah was the other problem we had last year, fortunately we don't have him to deal with again. I'm concerned about the injuries we sustained against SHSU. Hopefully the CB backups can step-up and fill two of the slots, but I doubt we have anyone that can do what Brooks is capable of doing, he's a special talent.

It's been said elsewhere that a lot depends upon how well Stick plays this time. I would agree with that. Not that everyone doesn't have to perform well, but it's especially incumbent for Stick to play well also, and I think he will.

For the first time in a long, long time I actually feel concerned about our chances to win, and I’m including our FBS games over the last several years.

JMU has a great defense, with coaches who know how to tweak schemes depending on opponent.With SDSU, it was to ensure QB did not beat them. With us it will be like last year. Do not let us run and make QB/receivers beat them.

Their offense is plenty solid to score points on us. Anyone who doesn’t think they have a great running back like last year is just wrong. The transfer from GA Tech that went off against SDSU has what it takes to run against the Bison.

They have quality special teams as well.

People here can look at JMU's schedule and scores this year, but then look at ours too. When you play your conference foes yearly, the games just end up tighter. For some reason, NDSU just doesn’t expose conference team’s weaknesses like JMU did to SDSU. JMU likely has that same problem in conference games.

Also, I throw the Weber game out. That was played on an ice rink with footballs as hard as hockey pucks.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I agree on Stick. He doesn't have to go 30 for 40 for 300 plus yards but needs to complete the passes when the opportunity presents itself. If we keep it in the 15-25 attempt range it will tell a lot of how well this game goes.

How many BIG games has NDSU had the last few years where the game was a coin flip or worse looking at it going in?

UNI 2014
    Iowa 2016
    SDSU 2016 reg Season
    JMU 2016
    SDSU 2017

The one that stands out for me is the Iowa game. The staff possibly felt overmatched so they started with and didn’t abandon the I form power run so things didn’t get out of hand.

When NDSU attempts to “up” the offense for a win it takes away from the strength.

Not realistic that they can run on anyone and win, but I believe it is their best opportunity in a tight one. Hope they shorten passes, use tight end, get clock running, and pound the ball. Maybe one PA pass early to get them honest.

JMU looks strong to me. This does not detract from me thinking NDSU has a great chance to bring home a ring.

JMU 2016 (yes NDSU ran... did not look like balanced Bison attack to me)

Feel free to offer ideas I am missing, realize using “coin flip” games that point to my argument, but still curious what happens if NDSU runs on Illinois State all game in championship etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    For the first time in a long, long time I actually feel concerned about our chances to win, and I’m including our FBS games over the last several years.

JMU has a great defense, with coaches who know how to tweak schemes depending on opponent.With SDSU, it was to ensure QB did not beat them. With us it will be like last year. Do not let us run and make QB/receivers beat them.

Their offense is plenty solid to score points on us. Anyone who doesn’t think they have a great running back like last year is just wrong. The transfer from GA Tech that went off against SDSU has what it takes to run against the Bison.

They have quality special teams as well.

People here can look at JMU's schedule and scores this year, but then look at ours too. When you play your conference foes yearly, the games just end up tighter. For some reason, NDSU just doesn’t expose conference team’s weaknesses like JMU did to SDSU. JMU likely has that same problem in conference games.

Also, I throw the Weber game out. That was played on an ice rink with footballs as hard as hockey pucks.

I think they are the toughest game of the year. SDSU played right into their strength. Throwing the ball 50 times vs their ridiculously talented pass rush and secondary is a losing formula. They couldn't pass protect for 5 step drops. SDSU had some success running the ball. Apparently they didn't stick to it. We will need a game plan of running, misdirection, playaction, and a short passing game. Can't turn the ball over like SDSU did either. If we drop back and launch bombs all day we will lose big time.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

GOB1SON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Should be a great game. I wouldn't miss it for anything.

There isn't one aspect of this game where there aren't great match-ups. Schor against the pass-d with the two corners out? Maybe? Bridges did pretty well Friday against last years Payton winner... and we have a couple of pretty frickin' good safeties (where are all the Grimsley haters lately, by the way? The boy is playing some damn good ball). Can their LB's cover our tight-ends?

The SDSU/JMU game really doesn't tell us much. SDSU went into shit-show mode so early and then Christian lost his mind and just started throwing the ball all over. I really wanted to see how they covered Goedert because TE is an obvious strength, but didn't learn much.

It is literally strength against strength. Hard to find an advantage anywhere. Both teams have injuries. Neither team makes mistakes. QB are both very sound and can turn a sack into a first down on any play. Any turnovers might be the difference.

I hope both teams line up and smash. Root hog and die. Blood on the carpet. Who wants it more? We have a proven track record of strength and conditioning that I like. JMU looks similar along their lines as well.

Who is deeper? We rotate 9-10 sometimes on the d-line. Can we wear out their O-line and get to the QB?

Our linebackers are playing very well! Plank was our starter in this game last year and he hardly sees playing time.

Can our o-line wear out their d-line and break a long one or two up the middle? That is the look of Bison football. I just don't know. JMU look so very sound in their assignments and obviously have some great skill players.

Charley said it, it's been a long time since I wasn't "comfortable" going into a game, where I knew that there were advantages that the Bison could take advantage of. Tough to find in this one.

See you in TX!
    The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft-living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life...

Mike Houston says he built a team to beat NDSU.

Our team is built to BE NDSU, and they've done it a lot longer.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯