Page 102 of 161 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1607

Thread: NDSU vs JMU

Default Re: NDSU vs JMU

The majority of our alums are concentrated in 3 areas, Richmond, Tidewater and Northern VA. Obviously we get a lot of support from the Valley as well, but some of that local support is not necessarily from alums. Our recruiting outside of VA historically has been in the NE corridor from MD up through CT. We have less out of state student enrollment than we used to (we are down from 29% to 25%, projected to drop to 22%) due to pressure from the VA General Assembly to open more spots for VA students. Ironically at the same time we've been pressured to shrink, UVA has grown their out of state enrollment to 35% (projected to 39%).

As for student fees, on paper they look high and so does our athletic budget. Reality is it's creative accounting, in a comparison of 14 public universities in VA JMU is currently 10th in total costs. We'll take an increase of $1,000 per year in each of the next 2 years, but that increase only moves us to 9th in total costs. My oldest is a SO at JMU, her costs are $5,000 per year less than my youngest who will be enrolling in Longwood's Nursing program next fall. As a parent, I always looked at total cost when determining value and not necessarily a break-out of how those costs were allocated. The athletic budget is also bloated by costs for things like the band, and my understanding it there is also debt servicing for the recent construction of Bridgeforth, our new lacrosse/soccer facility, our new baseball/softball facility, etc.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 13>1 View Post
    Is it wishful thinking to be holding out hope that both Brooks and Wimbush will be able to play in Frisco? I see in the article they were both listed as doubtful, as well as Allison. I'm much more doubtful that Allison would be able to go as I thought Coach Klieman mentioned he was having surgery.
    I'm hopeful on these two as well. I don't recall much on Coefield as to how much he will really help. I think he just played some in blowouts. Brooks is a playmaker. Wimbush would be nice to have just to have another experienced guy back there.

A bigger issue to me is our 7% giving rate, we are literally half of schools like UVA, VT and even W&M. It's pathetic, and it stems from a couple of issues. One is our refusal until recently to cultivate a culture of giving back to the school, through various means but including fundamentals like outreach and legacy considerations. We are a younger co-ed school, with a history as a teacher's college, so it's taken awhile for some of our non-teaching alums to reach that age when they are financially able to give more. We've also moved towards degree programs in CISAT and Engineering, but again developing a strong, financially stable alumni base with those degree backgrounds takes time. A lot of alums have been shocked this year at how difficult it has been to get tickets for this game, count me as one who knew how the Bison rolled and though I got my allotment through the school I also was able to get a couple from the August sale as well. If we can sustain this football success it will hopefully add to the pace of the sea change we've been experiencing the last few years. I think it would be silly to compare JMU and NDSU as institutions, I would imagine we would not stack up favorably with most state-flagship, land-grant universities. We do well at what we do, which as of today is a pretty strong regional university and a great value for the education received. We've talked aspirations of being a national university, we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by JMUSteeler View Post
    The majority of our alums are concentrated in 3 areas, Richmond, Tidewater and Northern VA. Obviously we get a lot of support from the Valley as well, but some of that local support is not necessarily from alums. Our recruiting outside of VA historically has been in the NE corridor from MD up through CT. We have less out of state student enrollment than we used to (we are down from 29% to 25%, projected to drop to 22%) due to pressure from the VA General Assembly to open more spots for VA students. Ironically at the same time we've been pressured to shrink, UVA has grown their out of state enrollment to 35% (projected to 39%).

As for student fees, on paper they look high and so does our athletic budget. Reality is it's creative accounting, in a comparison of 14 public universities in VA JMU is currently 10th in total costs. We'll take an increase of $1,000 per year in each of the next 2 years, but that increase only moves us to 9th in total costs. My oldest is a SO at JMU, her costs are $5,000 per year less than my youngest who will be enrolling in Longwood's Nursing program next fall. As a parent, I always looked at total cost when determining value and not necessarily a break-out of how those costs were allocated. The athletic budget is also bloated by costs for things like the band, and my understanding it there is also debt servicing for the recent construction of Bridgeforth, our new lacrosse/soccer facility, our new baseball/softball facility, etc.
    A bigger issue to me is our 7% giving rate, we are literally half of schools like UVA, VT and even W&M. It's pathetic, and it stems from a couple of issues. One is our refusal until recently to cultivate a culture of giving back to the school, through various means but including fundamentals like outreach and legacy considerations. We are a younger co-ed school, with a history as a teacher's college, so it's taken awhile for some of our non-teaching alums to reach that age when they are financially able to give more. We've also moved towards degree programs in CISAT and Engineering, but again developing a strong, financially stable alumni base with those degree backgrounds takes time. A lot of alums have been shocked this year at how difficult it has been to get tickets for this game, count me as one who knew how the Bison rolled and though I got my allotment through the school I also was able to get a couple from the August sale as well. If we can sustain this football success it will hopefully add to the pace of the sea change we've been experiencing the last few years. I think it would be silly to compare JMU and NDSU as institutions, I would imagine we would not stack up favorably with most state-flagship, land-grant universities. We do well at what we do, which as of today is a pretty strong regional university and a great value for the education received. We've talked aspirations of being a national university, we'll see.
    Thanks for the informative and reasonable posts. Enjoy your trip to Frisco!

I'm a reasonable guy, who enjoys a good tailgate. Some friends and I are putting together a big one for this, expecting 125 +. When you see it (and it shouldn't be hard to miss), stop by and ask for Eric. Pre and post game, looking forward to a fun time and likely a pretty good football game.

Quote Originally Posted by 13>1 View Post
    Is it wishful thinking to be holding out hope that both Brooks and Wimbush will be able to play in Frisco? I see in the article they were both listed as doubtful, as well as Allison. I'm much more doubtful that Allison would be able to go as I thought Coach Klieman mentioned he was having surgery.
    Your guess is as good as his at this point. The only thing Klieman has said is that it "didn't look good" for all 3 guys. I'm pretty sure on a scale of severity Allison is quite a bit worse than Brooks and if Allison really has a torn ACL it's likely he's already had surgery since the 9 month recovery timeline would already be pressing up against the start of the 2018 season. Wimbush is the biggest mystery of the three for me. I don't think anyone has been able to pinpoint when he got hurt other than that it was very early in the SHSU game. I saw him on the sidelines later in that game with a giant knee brace on but still in full uniform and pads and no crutches or anything so who knows with him.

Klieman said on signing day that they'd know more by Wednesday or Thursday of this week (by today) but I'm not sure when his next media session is for anyone to follow up on that... it might not be until next week and I'm not sure it would be the normal time on Monday either since that's New Year's Day.

Thanks for the great insight Steeler... I did not mean to go there with your fellow alum... but when anyone starts that "flyover state" crap -- it "triggers" me... I live in Virginia, and have many friends who graduated from JMU... it's a fine institution. This is going to be a fantastic Championship game, two teams that match up really well together, anyone that is predicting a blow out for either side is uninformed or trolling Hope you have an excellent time in Frisco!

We've talked aspirations of being a national university, we'll see.
    There is something in common with NDSU however such goals are not shared by the state legislature and their puppets on the board or higher education.

GSUsTALON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    I see someone's been drinking into the paint thinner again and thinks he's funny. Good for you. I suppose you are laying half in/half out of your trailer house sleeping it off. If only you were mummified with streamers you would prolly look exactly like JMU27.

TA - U Savage U
    Go back to your friends house and drag yourself into your dried Bison dung hut.
    Georgia Southern Spread Option Football - Out weighed but seldom out played! Of course, GSU doesn’t run the Spread anymore – but still!

If I want your opinion I’ll tell you what it should be! wwwGSUFANS.com (TALON TALK) Go Bison

GSUsTALON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NovaBison View Post
    Thanks for the great insight Steeler... I did not mean to go there with your fellow alum... but when anyone starts that "flyover state" crap -- it "triggers" me... I live in Virginia, and have many friends who graduated from JMU... it's a fine institution. This is going to be a fantastic Championship game, two teams that match up really well together, anyone that is predicting a blow out for either side is uninformed or trolling Hope you have an excellent time in Frisco!
    Steeler's posts were *STELLARAR , but JMU27 brought it on himself & he got what he wanted - a beat down!
    Georgia Southern Spread Option Football - Out weighed but seldom out played! Of course, GSU doesn’t run the Spread anymore – but still!

If I want your opinion I’ll tell you what it should be! wwwGSUFANS.com (TALON TALK) Go Bison