Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Utah Valley Dual

Default Re: Utah Valley Dual

By the way can someone tell the annoying announcer in the background to just shut it. LOL

Cam ends it with a 12-3 win over a pretty solid wrestler.

Gladiator Dad, I'm not a Joel Vettel fan, but this guy is waaaaaaaaaay worse. It's like he has a fake "radio voice" and he'll die if he doesn't say something every 5 seconds

The fall at 141 to start things off really hurt along with the Fogarty loss at 165. I thought we should've won at 184 & 197 as well, each had their opportunities and just didn't finish their shots. The turning point down the stretch would've been if Big Dan could have held on for that upset. Overall a winnable dual but as a team not our best performance

Sorry in advance for the mainly negative post.

125- Bianchi was over matched vs a great opponent. I hated the call to go on bottom in the third. Bianchi appeared confident in it though, so not much you can do about it.
    133- Cam started out slow, but did a great job of staying on the attack on his feet and eventually getting to his tilt. I love how the coaches were yelling "find other ways to score" to Cam on his feet. That will determine how high he climbs in his career. I actually came away impressed with his opponent, Lloren. Kid looks pretty good.
    141- Terrible way to start the dual off. Nico sure looks like he has the quickness to wrestle at the D1 level, but his lack of strength is too much of a hindrance to overcome. Only thing I'm hoping for with him, is that he suddenly bulks up and gives 149 a go next year. Given how little he's bulked up thus far, I'm not holding my breath. Hampton hasn't had much success either, but he is more physically capable of competing at this point.
    149- Good job by Gliva. Still gets into bad spots off of good hi-c's though. he doesn't transition to a finish quickly enough at time and it leads to easy defense for his opponent, where they can crack him to a hip and put him in trouble. If he can clean that up, I expect him to be in the NCAA tournament.
    157- Clay and the coaching staff appeared to have a plan and it was executed damn near perfectly. It should be nearly impossible to take down a D1 starter 12 times to tech him, but that's exactly what happened.
    165- Fogarty blew this match with some terrible shots. He hit a really nice one in the second period, but appeared to gas after that. This is a match he could have won. This and the fall at 141 were back breakers.
    174- Bastion is good and Clingenpeel kept it to a decision. Clingenpeel didn't attempt an offensive move all match though and that is troublesome. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and look to see how he does in Reno.
    184- Frustrating. As is the case very often with him, McNutt seemingly was the better wrestler IMO, but didn't win. He was in great position to record a TD, and gave one up instead.
    197- Pretty typical Eaton match. He had some good attacks, put himself in a bad spot, and kept a high pace all match. If he can get some better mat awareness and erase all the back points he gives up, he'd be a top 20 guy. His attacks have improved a great deal this year and his pace and conditioning are better than most 197's. Problem is, he winds up on his back more than most, he doesn't scramble well, and walks into danger a lot on the mat. They're fixable mistakes though.
    HWT- Big Dan has really grown on me. I never really saw him do much before this year, but he's more active than most HWT's. His throw was great. If he just settles in, he keeps Dennison on his back, wins the match and NDSU loses the dual still. He went for the fall, which would've theoretically got NDSU back in the dual, and it backfired.

Overall, I thought it was a bad performance vs a solid team. On the whole, this team is very bad at finishing shots. Frankly part of it is because this just isn't an overly talented D1 team. There are quality wrestlers in the lineup, but we have huge holes at 141 and 174. Ream and Fogarty are the only safe bets to make it to NCAAs. I think Sykora, Eaton, Gliva, and Bianchi all can get there, but you have to win some good matches in the regular season to get more AQ spots for the conference.

I'm surprised Midkiff hasn't wrestled any 141 after pulling his redshirt (unless he can't beat those guys)...seems kind of pointless knowing Sykora was coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by larson311 View Post
    I'm surprised Midkiff hasn't wrestled any 141 after pulling his redshirt (unless he can't beat those guys)...seems kind of pointless knowing Sykora was coming back.
    I'm not sure what Midkiff's walking around weight is.

Quote Originally Posted by larson311 View Post
    I was on board with pulling the redshirt, simply because there will be a logjam at 125/133 next year with Midkiff, Sykora, Fleetwood, and Bianchi. Good guys were going to have to sit, so might as well utilize him this year when you had the chance.

I'd love to see them mix and match with Midkiff and Syokra at 133 and 141. I don't think either is big enough to beat the really good 141's and they'd be small at 141, but they'd be a step up over the production we've gotten thus far. Even if Nico and Hampton can beat Midkiff, I still think Midkiff in the lineup is better for the team both this year and long term.