Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NDSU vs Central MI

Default Re: NDSU vs Central MI

Nice Team Win over a quality wrestling team. Big Dan almost gave up that late takedown but held it off.

One win with bonus points, but beating Central Mich is pretty cool!

That was a nice win over a good team, with lots of exciting finishes to boot.

The BEK broadcast is really well put together, although I'm kind of surprised they didn't figure out that Pelham was out there instead of Atienza. They do provide very good coverage of the duals.

Default NDSU vs Central MI

Quote Originally Posted by RadioBison View Post
    The UNI open was tough to watch. We lost to Iowa Central too many times. I kept checking the NJCAA rankings for these guys, but I didn't find much. It seems like Metz is wrestling Greco by only looking for throws or body locks, but he didn't convert on many yesterday. When he tried throwing Vough from SDSU, it turned out very badly. I thought he would dominate as a true freshman, but I'm glad he has another year to work on things.
    I thought Iowa Central moved up to DII a few years back. Perhaps I have them mixed up with Upper Iowa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!

Great dual and result with us old timers attending. Nicely put together by Nick Magee this weekend!

Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I thought Iowa Central moved up to DII a few years back. Perhaps I have them mixed up with Upper Iowa.

Yeah, that sounds like Upper. I did find some of the Central guys in the NJCAA rankings, just not the ones I wanted to find. They do have a strong program (defending national champs, one of PD3's stops, etc.).

Good performance tonight and great team win.

125- Bianchi wasn't very aggressive, but it worked in this one. Did a solid job on top too.
    133- Cam wasn't ultra sharp but still nearly had a major. He was aggressive early on his feet but couldn't finish. With him and how effective he is on top, that will be something he'll have to continue to improve on. I'm not saying he's anywhere near Seth Gross' level, but Gross had an ok rFr year when he was ok on his feet. He got much better (really, he became great) on his feet the next year and that gave him more time on top with his tilts, where he dominates. Led to a 2nd place finish at NCAAs and has him as the overwhelming favorite this year. That is the blueprint for Cam to follow.
    141- Fought well for the first period, but really didn't do much all match. This weight has been a pretty big hole thus far. Honestly, if he can duplicate his match earlier this year vs Pohlmeyer when they dual, I'll be both surprised and satisfied with the season.
    149- Gliva wrestled well and nearly stole it at the end. Oliver is a stud and Kyle put him in danger multiple times. Still needs to work on finishing his hi-c much quicker (I'd love to see him take it to a double). If he does that, he'll beat some good guys this year and he'll reach the NCAAs.
    157- Clay looked off, yet still won convincingly. He's been very good on his feet all year and was able to get to his leg attacks late.
    165- I thought Fogarty looked solid. He seems to be improving and turning the corner even more this year.
    174- I thought Urbach was the better stylistic matchup vs Brucki, but Popp did some things well. Some better finishing in the first period and he would've had a couple TDs. Looked like he used all of energy right away though and had nothing left late. One thing with Popp that I really like, there is no quit in him.
    184- Was surprised by McNutt not being in there. Witzig kept it close, but didn't really do anything in the match. If he's a 184 option after McNutt leaves, he needs to pack on some muscle and lean up.
    197- Good match. Cordell has looked very good on his feet all year and won this one with his attacks and conditioning. One worry I have for him is he walks into some dangerous positions in his matches (usually when both guys are on the mat).
    HWT- You could see Big Dan's confidence rise throughout the match. It rose so much, that he took a terrible shot and had to fight out of a takedown. Those are the little things to learn from in season. Looked to quit wrestling a bit on the edge and it nearly cost him at the end. Good job scrambling out of attempts, and good job with his attempts too.

I thought the coaching was very good all day too. Coach Garnett's shoes were on point too.

Curious: What did Smith say to the coaches after he got the fall at 141?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Curious: What did Smith say to the coaches after he got the fall at 141?
    He did something similar against SDSU, so I doubt it was anything personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Yeah, my bad on the score.

Heff vs ZBerg is by no means a slam dunk win for Heff, but he's consistently been the better guy and wins that match at least 75% of the time IMO. Super underrated guy

Honest question I've been wanting to know from anyone from SDSU. Why has Brady Ayers been getting starts? Mueller destroyed him this year and has more years left. I get wanting to reward a senior, but Mueller doesn't have a redshirt to burn and gives the team a better chance IMO.

Mueller still needs to get his conditioning up...Bono has these guys ready to wrestle 3 periods plus...the whole reason Macki won, conditioning. If he can survive the initial onslaught and get the bigger guy(Macki at best is 240) tired then he can use his speed. That's what happened Friday night.

Mueller gets his conditioning inline and he should crack the line up, there are no gimmes with Bono though and he isn't afraid to call a guy out on it. He did so of Mueller following the Minnesota dual.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackedforlife View Post
    Mueller still needs to get his conditioning up...Bono has these guys ready to wrestle 3 periods plus...the whole reason Macki won, conditioning. If he can survive the initial onslaught and get the bigger guy(Macki at best is 240) tired then he can use his speed. That's what happened Friday night.

Mueller gets his conditioning inline and he should crack the line up, there are no gimmes with Bono though and he isn't afraid to call a guy out on it. He did so of Mueller following the Minnesota dual.
    Makes sense. But sounds like the Holler ordeal all over again.