Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 LastLast

Thread: FCS Playoff Quarterfinal Thread

Default Re: FCS Playoff Quarterfinal Thread

I agree it puts officials in a difficult position where they can't be expected to determine which injuries are being faked. That's what makes it so sleazy. I'd be embarrassed to be a fan of a program that would even consider using such tactics.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    I agree it puts officials in a difficult position where they can't be expected to determine which injuries are being faked. That's what makes it so sleazy. I'd be embarrassed to be a fan of a program that would even consider using such tactics.
    I guarantee most teams have done it at some point. Even the Bison. Even if it wasn't a planned thing (like my extreme example above) or actually did involve a minor injury. Its definitely crossing the line of sportsman ship but it's done and nearly impossible to do anything about it. In our example if he had gone down before the ball was snapped we would have had no choice but to award an injury time out. It's also why in college football they have added a 10-second run off option in the last minute of the half and if the runoff is declined the clock starts on the snap.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Yup...that's similar to the deception things I mentioned. The problem is there nothing illegal about it. They lose the player for a down and the offense gets a full 40-seconds they can run off the game clock, but there is no foul.......There isn't always a simple answer to weird situations.
    This is the problem, they need to change the rule to mandate more plays off.......5? 10? Duration of the offensive possession?

Not sure what would be fair, but one play is not a deterrent. If the player really is injured, he'll likely be out that long anyway.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BraxtonT View Post
    This is the problem, they need to change the rule to mandate more plays off.......5? 10? Duration of the offensive possession?

Not sure what would be fair, but one play is not a deterrent. If the player really is injured, he'll likely be out that long anyway.
    That's not a horrible idea. It would be a little more difficult to track for the referee. It was sad watching that SDSU v USD game and watching SDSU guys just drop to the ground once the play was over and they appeared to be fine seconds before that. I would have been embarrassed as a fan.

You stop the clock, you're out for the drive. Easy.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    Possible, but not quite easy. You would need to also add a provision for one down if it happens on a scoring play, try, kick play, and change of possession. And also address a situation where team possession changes twice during a down. Do any players out during the previous drive get to return? Does this only apply for the offense or defense? If it happens on the change of possession would it apply to the following series or just the next down? Would it only apply if the injury happens while the clock is running? Would it only apply to defensive players? If your starting QB has a minor injury on the first play of a drive, should he be out for the rest of the drive even though he would only miss one play? Would it apply if a helmet comes off or blood is detected (these also require a player to leave for at least one down)? Can they buy him back in after one down if they call a team time out. Or if a player is sent out due to illegal equipment? All are possible, but those are the types of considerations that have to go into a rule change.

Don't like it. That would make a key offensive player just an "ankle twist" away from getting knocked out for an important drive.

The best deterrent to faking injuries is shaming the violators incessantly... I trust you can handle that Bisonville.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Possible, but not quite easy. You would need to also add a provision for one down if it happens on a scoring play, try, kick play, and change of possession. And also address a situation where team possession changes twice during a down. Do any players out during the previous drive get to return? Does this only apply for the offense or defense? If it happens on the change of possession would it apply to the following series or just the next down? Would it only apply if the injury happens while the clock is running? Would it only apply to defensive players? If your starting QB has a minor injury on the first play of a drive, should he be out for the rest of the drive even though he would only miss one play? Would it apply if a helmet comes off or blood is detected (these also require a player to leave for at least one down)? Can they buy him back in after one down if they call a team time out. Or if a player is sent out due to illegal equipment? All are possible, but those are the types of considerations that have to go into a rule change.
    Like I said, if you stop the clock you're out for the drive.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by BraxtonT View Post

I believe the CFL you are out for 3 plays if clock stoppage for an injury.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    That may also have the added effect of kids staying on the field when they really shouldn't, leading to more serious injuries.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck