Thread: Top collegiate wins

Default Top collegiate wins

I'm bored and we still have another day until CKLV kicks off. CKLV should offer our starters the opportunity to record a/more marquee wins. Speaking of those marquee wins, I went back and looked through results to see what the top wins our guys have in their careers. Besides being interesting (to me anyway), this offers a more objective look at some of our guys' ceilings and past performance. For these, I'm using WrestleStat to find the wins and not taking Freestyle and Greco off-season results. Some guys have had more opportunities for quality wins, but some of these surprised me.

Paul Bianchi- Has a ton of great wins over true blue chip recruits in freestyle. He beat Kyle Akins from Buffalo last year at Midlands, who was an NCAA qualifier and made the round of 16.
    Brent Fleetwood- He hasn't actually wrestled a match for NDSU, but Fleetwood is a 2 time NCAA qualifier and only missed it as a True Freshman by dropping a 1 point match for 3rd at the MAC tournament. He beat All American Sean Russell from Edinboro. He also beat 2 time AA Connor Youtsey of Michigan. He beat Sebastian Rivera of Northwestern twice last year, who I expect to be in the AA mix this year. He has a bunch of top 20 wins.
    Cam Sykora- He beat Kevin Devoy last year at the NCAA tourney, who was seeded and in the top 20. He also beat Dennis Gustafson of VT, who is top 15 this year, and tech falled Ian Parker of ISU, who is inexplicably top 20 in Flo's rankings.
    McGwire Midkiff- Very young career, but beat top 100 recruit Jack Wagner UNI, who had a great redshirt year. Also beat top 100 recruit Rylee Molitor (SDSU) twice.
    Sawyer Degan- Beat Midkiff
    Sam Hampton- He doesn't even have 20 matches yet, but did beat top 100 recruit Brent Jones of MN and beat SDSU starter Henry Pohlmeyer by major decision.
    Nico Colunga- Beat D2 AA Blake Bosch from MSUM. Beat Drake Foster as a true freshman in the Wyoming dual. Foster was 24-10 that year.
    Mitch Bengston- As a true freshman he beat multi time AA, and NCAA runner up Lavion Mayes from Mizzou. By far his best win, and I didn't remember this. The following year he beat MN AA Tommy Thorn...which again, I didn't remember. Also beat SDSU's Alex Kocer, who became an AA. Beat SDSU's Seth Gross, who became an AA as a NCAA runner up last year. He beat several other guys in the top twenty at some point in their careers and former blue chip recruits.
    Kyle Gliva- He beat Indiana starter Chris Perez last year and MN top 100 recruit Jake Bergeland this year.
    Mitch Friedman- Beat NCAA qualifiers Hunter Ladnier of Harvard and Sam Krivus of Virginia.
    Jaden Van Maanen- Beat Bergeland and Friedman.
    Clay Ream- Beat Round of 12 Wisconsin starter Andrew Crone, SDSU AA Alex Kocer twice, OkSt AA Josh Kindig, tOSU AA Hunter Stieber, MN starter and top 20 recruit Jake Short, 3 time NCAA qualifier Andrew Atkinson UVA, UNC AA Evan Henderson, VT AA Sal Mastriani, ASU's Josh shields, who is ranked top 5 this year.
    Andrew Fogarty- He beat NCAA qualifiers: Luke Zilverberg SDSU, Tyrell White Columbia (3 time qualifier), Dane Pestano ISU, Branson Ashworth Wyoming (who has made the top 10 in some rankings), and Brooks Martino Penn. He's beat several other B1G and PAC starters too.
    Dylan Urbach- Former VA starter and top 100 recruit Garrett Peppleman, Ohio starter Arsen Ashughyan, and Boise State NCAA qualifier Austin Dewey.
    Tyler McNutt- Beat Dylan Urbach and SDSU starter Martin Mueller. Mueller is his best win.
    Cordell Eaton- NCAA qualifier and top 20 at times Tanner Orndorff UVU. Beat some other P5 starters
    Dan Stibral- Beat Carter Isley ISU starter, who is a true blue chip recruit and a guy who I think will be in the top 20 for the next 4 years. Kevin Vough was a top 100 recruit for Boise State/SDSU and a win for Dan this year. Before this year, his best win was against Parker Hines AFA, who was a solid 197 pounder, but never qualified for NCAAs.
    Brandon Metz- Very early in his career, but he has beaten Nebraska starter David Jensen, and Nebraska backup Patrick Grayson, who is very solid. Also, beat multi year SDSU starter Alex Macki.

I'll do a follow on post with some notes, observations, and surprises.

Default Re: Top collegiate wins

I may have been expecting too much from Bianchi based on his freestyle results. His freestyle results were great, but they mask his ineffectiveness on bottom. I still have very high hopes for him though.
    With good health, I think Cam can be a threat to AA.
    Hampton's win over Pohlmeyer was impressive, and if he can wrestle that well consistently, he'll be an average D1 starter and have a chance to qualify for NCAAs.
    Bengston was the most surprising. He has beaten MULTIPLE NCAA runner ups, and 4 All Americans by my count. He's coming off of a major injury, but based on past results, he clearly has the potential to have the most success. I don't know if he has the offense to make an AA run, but he has beaten some great wrestlers.
    No surprise, but Clay's results show he should be in the mix to AA this year. His laundry lists of wins is longer than Bengstons, and includes some big names. Stieber and Kindig weren't at 100%, but even at less than 100%, they're some of the best wrestlers in the country. Evan Henderson is the third guy Clay has beaten who is very high on the senior US freestyle ladder.
    Fogarty's results tell me he is a top 20 guy, but outside of AA contender at the moment.
    Urbach, McNutt, and Eaton don't have many notable wins.
    Stibral's win over Isley was REALLY impressive.
    Metz could be starting for multiple B1G teams right now, and we have the luxury of redshirting him and having a competent starter in his stead.

Eaton and McNutt seem like the most obvious candidates to get their breakout wins this weekend. They've been wrestling competitively and don't have much in the way of notable wins.

Since the last time I compiled the list, several guys notched some really good wins. CKLV, RTOC, and South Beach Duals offered some good opportunity. New wins include:
    Bianchi- Dalton Macri and Mike Russo are both really good wins. Macri was a round of 16 guy at Cornell his Freshman year and was ranked in the top 10.
    Sykora- Cam notched some quality wins, but the top recent ones are the wins yesterday over Cefolo and Tucker.
    Midkiff- Beat Jared Maynes who started for UVU at one point.
    Gliva- Several wins, but best was Elfvin from Drexel.
    Bengston- Not one of his top wins, but did beat Sam Turner who Flo has as #20 (a joke).
    Ream- Clay beat Rider All American BJ Clagon.
    Nick Mergen- Beat Austin Krassier of Campbell, who won 21 matches and took 4th at the SoCon conference tourney last year. Beat Carson Brolsma, who started for MN most of last year.
    Fogarty- Beating Anthony Valencia is by far his best win of his career. Dean Sherry is a likely NCAA qualifier this year who started last year and went 19-5.
    Colton Clingenpeel- Jacob Covaciu was 21-2 last year as a tFr with some very nice wins and Clingenpeel topped him.
    McNutt- Beat big time recruit Wyatt Koelling of Mizzou.
    Cole Witzig- Beat Jacob Raschka of Mizzou, who has been pretty successful in his debut.
    Eaton- He's added some solid wins, but nothing new stands out.
    Stibral- The Stencel win looks even better now after his run to the 3rd place match at Midlands. Stencel may find his way into the rankings. The Ben Honis (Cornell) win is really good, and he was an NCAA qualifier. Also beat Austin Myers, Mizzou's starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Gliva- Several wins, but best was Elfvin from Drexel.
    FWIW, Flo has Macalolooy above Elfvin in their EIWA rankings.