Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Engel, Van Dellen and Kelly Dismissed From Team

Default Re: Engel, Van Dellen and Kelly Dismissed From Team

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    About 3-4 years ago met a kid in Garrison MN at the walleye opener. Big kid. We struck up a conversation because I had NDSU gear on and he said he used to play at NDSU. Asked his name and didnt recognize it. Then he told me that after the team had there rash of problems Bohl laid down the law. NO TOLERANCE. Well he and a few teammates went out ,had too much to drink and got in to a fight. He said I guess when Bohl said no tolerance he meant it and he was gone. Thats how you stop problems.
    kid learned a lesson he probable wished he learned prior. but sounds like he learned it. sucks but .......

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    kid learned a lesson he probable wished he learned prior. but sounds like he learned it. sucks but .......
    Kid said it was his fault. They were warned. He was good with it and had no hard feelings but wished it would have turned out different.

He is now working as an electrician in the family business.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Coach K doesn't come off as a Zero Tolerance guy. There were games this season where these guys could have been suspended for violating team rules and no one would have been any wiser. Kelly didn't participate in the MSU game, Engel didn't participate in the ISUb game, and Van Dellen didn't participate in a few games. I am not saying they were suspended for those games, but they could have been. I think Klieman is very aware of how suffocating a zero tolerance program would be, but if you do find yourself on the wrong end of a bad decision a second time, there isn't any room to see a third time.

These are 19-24 year old men. They need to make adult decisions and they will have adult consequences for their actions. The bottom line is no matter what anyone said how special they were when they were recruited, it is still a privilege to play college football. Their future in the workforce will not be as forgiving.

There should be a rule granting every citizen on the planet a “get out of jail” free card for any weed consumed during a Bill Walton broadcast.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Bridge Guy View Post
    Reporters are supposed to push, pretty important part of the job. Better than rampant speculation as exhibited elsewhere in my opinion.
    Actually McFeely's column was about giving out more information so the rumor mill doesn't run wild which is exactly what this whole thread is about.
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    Oh I dont blame him for pushing, but publishing an article that falsely says know generalizations were given....well thats just not true and is mike stirring the pot
    Just like most posting and not knowing what the issue was. Obviously it is a violation of team rules and they are gone or suspended. Players know the rules , live with your poor decision.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    There should be a rule granting every citizen on the planet a “get out of jail” free card for any weed consumed during a Bill Walton broadcast.
    Not just weed. Psychedelic substances as well.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    Just like most posting and not knowing what the issue was. Obviously it is a violation of team rules and they are gone or suspended. Players know the rules , live with your poor decision.
    My wife has lived with hers for decades. Maybe she could offer some advice.

Grizzled is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    About 3-4 years ago met a kid in Garrison MN at the walleye opener. Big kid. We struck up a conversation because I had NDSU gear on and he said he used to play at NDSU. Asked his name and didnt recognize it. Then he told me that after the team had there rash of problems Bohl laid down the law. NO TOLERANCE. Well he and a few teammates went out ,had too much to drink and got in to a fight. He said I guess when Bohl said no tolerance he meant it and he was gone. Thats how you stop problems.
    Bohl didn’t have a zero tolerance policy. It was similar to today’s one strike policy. A few guys got/have gotten one and a half.

I am fine with Zero Tolerence, however, keep in mind that it applies to everyone moving forward. And, what is the threshold for zero tolerance (what type of mishap), what punishment fits what crime? What if Deluca and Cox were to be lured into an altercation in a McDonalds parking lot, a fight takes place, stories vary, people get hurt etc..... ?????? Hmmm, What if its a week before a championship game? The word "ZERO" is a slippery word. Also, NDSU may well have this type of instance covered I was simply noting that often times you can put yourself in a box for the future. Shit Happens. 100 men ages 18-24 are going to have instances, we did!