Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Effect of Noise at the Fargo Dome

Default Effect of Noise at the Fargo Dome

We have all read about how the noise affects opposing teams, particularly those who aren't used to it. This is especially common in the playoffs. Just curious if anyone knows exactly what the effect is. The assumption seems to be that it makes communication difficult and potentially leads to false-starts on the offensive line as they can't hear the Quarterback as well as usual as an example of a "communication problem."

I am suspicious it is something else and just curious what others thought. While it can have the above mentioned affect on communication I am suspicious that there is something else, maybe more subtle, going on.

First off, if it is a purely communication thing then there are mechanical ways around this that a competent team shouldn't have significant problems with.

Second, if it is a communication thing it should be at its most effective EARLY in the game when the team hasn't had any chance to get used to the noise level and adjust to it and become more accustomed to their work arounds. Particuarly when I watch playoff games--and it is in these games when playing teams unfamiliar with the environment and the crowd is amped up from the beginning unlike when the Bison are playing, for instance, Mississippi Valley State--it seems like the other team does fine at the beginning of the game and then, around the end of the 1st Qtr/beginning of the 2nd Qtr things start to fall apart.

Third, and to a far less extent, the defense should be somewhat effected. While they are certainly "used to it" if it is a communication thing we would think that there would be more communication problems for the defense.

Finally, if it is a communication thing then why are conference opponents seem so much less effected by it? Part of this could be that they have systems in place to deal with the noise, but communication problems should still surface somewhat.

Because of these things I think the communication aspects are a secondary, and not undesirable, effect, but it isn't really what is happening.

To me what is happening has more to do with stress than communication. It seems like errors that are often attributed to the noise come at crucial moments in the game. Part of this is no doubt due to the fact that the noise often reaches its most extreme at these moments. But if you are an offensive player for an opposing team under a great deal of stress the screaming and general roar of the crowd could be somewhat disconcerting if you are not used to it and not exposed to it before. It affects your concentration and ability to focus on who you should block? What is the snap count? What route am I supposed to run against this defense? Which is my 2nd read? etc. The defense can feed off the energy of the crowd so while they are under stress they can tell the noise isn't there to throw off their concentration/focus. In addition, they are used to it after years of playing in the environment. Similarly, conference opponents have gotten used to it making it less effective on them. Even if they haven't experienced it personally there might be players on the team that can share with them just what it is like.

However, when a team comes in having never experienced anything quite like the environment they can go on "script" for a while. And rarely are there "crucial moments" early in the game. But as the game goes on the team has to make ongoing adjustments making focus and concentration critical factors. And when that starts to unravel it can unravel quickly.

These are just my thoughts about the effect of noise on the opposing teams. Any thoughts?

NDSUFREAK is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Affect of Noise at the Fargo Dome

I will be truly surprised if anyone read that whole post

TL;DR loud noises.

what the hell is the point of this? Unless youve played at Montana, when they were good, or the Fargodome before, the noise will be a shock to most, if not all, visiting teams. Visiting OL get off the line a step slower than defenders do, and with NDSUs great DL, it makes an incredible impact.

Theyre so nervous about the already awesome DL, that false starts are fairly common, resulting in drives killed. No amount of speaker blasting indoor practice can get you prepared for a game in the Fargodome....its why theyre like 18-1 there for the playoffs.

Will read this tomorrow when my mother inlaw comes over. Either that or play dead/napping.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUFREAK View Post
    I will be truly surprised if anyone read that whole post
    Ha! I did.

I don't think teams handle the noise well initially.. New Hampshire and Richmond spring to mind. Mostly, though, MVFC teams do better at the FargoDome because they are simply better teams and their coaches, no matter how inept, have had a lot of opportunity to scheme against what NDSU tries to do.

Should have an interesting test in the first playoff game. Either we get San Diego who was here last year and who has a very good coach or we get NAU who is used to playing indoors and is used to playing in loud environments like at Montana.

gumby013 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Ha! I did.

I don't think teams handle the noise well initially.. New Hampshire and Richmond spring to mind. Mostly, though, MVFC teams do better at the FargoDome because they are simply better teams and their coaches, no matter how inept, have had a lot of opportunity to scheme against what NDSU tries to do.

Should have an interesting test in the first playoff game. Either we get San Diego who was here last year and who has a very good coach or we get NAU who is used to playing indoors and is used to playing in loud environments like at Montana.
    NAU's rush D is horrid. I'd root for that matchup.
    Looking good Billy Ray!

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    what the hell is the point of this? Unless youve played at Montana, when they were good, or the Fargodome before, the noise will be a shock to most, if not all, visiting teams. Visiting OL get off the line a step slower than defenders do, and with NDSUs great DL, it makes an incredible impact.

Theyre so nervous about the already awesome DL, that false starts are fairly common, resulting in drives killed. No amount of speaker blasting indoor practice can get you prepared for a game in the Fargodome....its why theyre like 18-1 there for the playoffs.
    I remember a time here on bisonville when we were absolutely thrilled to get our first home playoff game. lol

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    I remember a time here on bisonville when we were absolutely thrilled to get our first home playoff game. lol
    and to this day...most say Robert Morris in 2010 was the second loudest game behind GSU in 2012

The crowd is horrible to start games. Usually ramps up later in the game.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.