Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Effect of Noise at the Fargo Dome

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Effect of Noise at the Fargo Dome

You never skip leg day. Might as well dust on pracky, I'd rather do legs then wheel, snipe, celly boys.

Default Re: Effect of Noise at the Fargo Dome

Can we all play music on our Smartphones, loudest volume, when SDSU has the ball? Noise from 17,000 smartphones has to add up.

Default Re: Affect of Noise at the Fargo Dome

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    I'm having a tooth pulled the day before the game. I apologize in advance to whoever is seated in front of me if blood shoots from my mouth.
    Section, Row and Seat... I need to know if I need a HAZ-MAT suit or not.....

Default Effect of Noise at the Fargo Dome

Quote Originally Posted by 14>1 View Post
    Looking forward to seeing how you get those by the detectors. Better wear some baggy snow pants.
    You just throw them in the little plastic bucket before walking through the detector. Duh.

Reminds me of a good story though. Back before 9/11 I was officed in a relatively new property in Minnetonka that had a security desk right at the entrance. We had a crew who worked Asian hours and one of the traders on that crew had borrowed a chain saw from one of the US hours guys. So one day the borrower comes walking in from the parking ramp with the chain saw in one hand and a gas can in the other. Security greets him enthusiastically as usual and says not a word as he boards the elevator bound for the third floor of our tower. Things you don’t see today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreThePride View Post
    Every 10 decibels is 10 times as loud, your first sentence is wrong. You seem to contradict that with the rest of your post...
    Nope 10 decibels is twice as loud but takes 10x the amount of power/energy to achieve.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tjamz View Post
    Nope 10 decibels is twice as loud but takes 10x the amount of power/energy to achieve.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Sorry, but that's just not accurate. A noise twice as loud results in an increase of a little more than 3 on the decibel scale.

Using speakers & amplifiers as an analog:

If one speaker at 100 watts is 100dB; two would be 103dB; and 4 would be 106dB; 8 would be 109dB; and 16 would be 112dB (10 would be 110dB and twice as loud)
    Now if you have a 100 watt amplifier on a speaker (or speaker system) and it outputs 100dB; 200 watts would output 103dB; 400 watts is 106dB; 800 watts is 109dB; 1600 watts is 112dB. (1000 watts is twice as loud as the base reference at 110db)

One decibel is the theoretical minimum is being able to notice an audible difference. 3 decibels is the doubling of acoustic power (as illustrated above). 10 decibels (1Bel/Bell) is the doubling of loudness/pressure.

I can go into MUCH greater detail if you like. I'd be happy to cite my sources (Loudspeaker Design Cookbook; Mobile Dynamics; Autosound 2000 Tech briefs; notes/textbooks from college; etc...)

Quote Originally Posted by Mfergy4 View Post
    Section, Row and Seat... I need to know if I need a HAZ-MAT suit or not.....
    Section 10 row L.... You've been warned.

Sorry, but that's just not accurate. A noise twice as loud results in an increase of a little more than 3 on the decibel scale.
    The amount of POWER needed to gain 3dB is 2x, but to be twice as loud you need 10dB (10x the amount of power)

Doubling of the volume (loudness) should be sensed as a level difference of +10 dB − acousticians say. Doubling of sound intensity (acoustic energy) belongs to a calculated level change of +3 dB. +10 dB is the level of twice the perceived volume or twice as loud(loudness) in psychoacoustics − mostly sensed.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm