We have all read about how the noise affects opposing teams, particularly those who aren't used to it. This is especially common in the playoffs. Just curious if anyone knows exactly what the effect is. The assumption seems to be that it makes communication difficult and potentially leads to false-starts on the offensive line as they can't hear the Quarterback as well as usual as an example of a "communication problem."

I am suspicious it is something else and just curious what others thought. While it can have the above mentioned affect on communication I am suspicious that there is something else, maybe more subtle, going on.

First off, if it is a purely communication thing then there are mechanical ways around this that a competent team shouldn't have significant problems with.

Second, if it is a communication thing it should be at its most effective EARLY in the game when the team hasn't had any chance to get used to the noise level and adjust to it and become more accustomed to their work arounds. Particuarly when I watch playoff games--and it is in these games when playing teams unfamiliar with the environment and the crowd is amped up from the beginning unlike when the Bison are playing, for instance, Mississippi Valley State--it seems like the other team does fine at the beginning of the game and then, around the end of the 1st Qtr/beginning of the 2nd Qtr things start to fall apart.

Third, and to a far less extent, the defense should be somewhat effected. While they are certainly "used to it" if it is a communication thing we would think that there would be more communication problems for the defense.

Finally, if it is a communication thing then why are conference opponents seem so much less effected by it? Part of this could be that they have systems in place to deal with the noise, but communication problems should still surface somewhat.

Because of these things I think the communication aspects are a secondary, and not undesirable, effect, but it isn't really what is happening.

To me what is happening has more to do with stress than communication. It seems like errors that are often attributed to the noise come at crucial moments in the game. Part of this is no doubt due to the fact that the noise often reaches its most extreme at these moments. But if you are an offensive player for an opposing team under a great deal of stress the screaming and general roar of the crowd could be somewhat disconcerting if you are not used to it and not exposed to it before. It affects your concentration and ability to focus on who you should block? What is the snap count? What route am I supposed to run against this defense? Which is my 2nd read? etc. The defense can feed off the energy of the crowd so while they are under stress they can tell the noise isn't there to throw off their concentration/focus. In addition, they are used to it after years of playing in the environment. Similarly, conference opponents have gotten used to it making it less effective on them. Even if they haven't experienced it personally there might be players on the team that can share with them just what it is like.

However, when a team comes in having never experienced anything quite like the environment they can go on "script" for a while. And rarely are there "crucial moments" early in the game. But as the game goes on the team has to make ongoing adjustments making focus and concentration critical factors. And when that starts to unravel it can unravel quickly.

These are just my thoughts about the effect of noise on the opposing teams. Any thoughts?