Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Effect of Noise at the Fargo Dome

Default Re: Affect of Noise at the Fargo Dome

Quote Originally Posted by tjamz View Post
    The amount of POWER needed to gain 3dB is 2x, but to be twice as loud you need 10dB (10x the amount of power)
    Using speakers & amplifiers as an analog:

If one speaker at 100 watts is 100dB; two would be 103dB; and 4 would be 106dB; 8 would be 109dB; and 16 would be 112dB (10 would be 110dB and twice as loud)
    Now if you have a 100 watt amplifier on a speaker (or speaker system) and it outputs 100dB; 200 watts would output 103dB; 400 watts is 106dB; 800 watts is 109dB; 1600 watts is 112dB. (1000 watts is twice as loud as the base reference at 110db)

One decibel is the theoretical minimum is being able to notice an audible difference. 3 decibels is the doubling of acoustic power (as illustrated above). 10 decibels (1Bel/Bell) is the doubling of loudness/pressure.

I can go into MUCH greater detail if you like. I'd be happy to cite my sources (Loudspeaker Design Cookbook; Mobile Dynamics; Autosound 2000 Tech briefs; notes/textbooks from college; etc...)
    Nope 10 decibels is twice as loud but takes 10x the amount of power/energy to achieve.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Multi-quoted for double truthiness.

Quote Originally Posted by cbline View Post
    Wait a minute. I was told that there would be no math when I created an account on Bisonville.
    Sorry. This is literally the only math/science stuff I can spew rapidly with 100% confidence.... So I'm going with it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Using speakers & amplifiers as an analog:

If one speaker at 100 watts is 100dB; two would be 103dB; and 4 would be 106dB; 8 would be 109dB; and 16 would be 112dB (10 would be 110dB and twice as loud)
    Now if you have a 100 watt amplifier on a speaker (or speaker system) and it outputs 100dB; 200 watts would output 103dB; 400 watts is 106dB; 800 watts is 109dB; 1600 watts is 112dB. (1000 watts is twice as loud as the base reference at 110db)

One decibel is the theoretical minimum is being able to notice an audible difference. 3 decibels is the doubling of acoustic power (as illustrated above). 10 decibels (1Bel/Bell) is the doubling of loudness/pressure.

I can go into MUCH greater detail if you like. I'd be happy to cite my sources (Loudspeaker Design Cookbook; Mobile Dynamics; Autosound 2000 Tech briefs; notes/textbooks from college; etc...)
    Holy shit. That's a lot of loud. But what about temperature? Will it be loud AND hot?
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

NDSUBowler is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I'm here for the tjamz evisceration of others!

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Holy shit. That's a lot of loud. But what about temperature? Will it be loud AND hot?
    Cold air causes sound to move more slowly but with the same intensity. Now, since the dome is warm/hot it's safe to say we'll experience Southern Sound Speed (tm) this Friday.

Doubling of the volume (loudness) should be sensed as a level difference of +10 dB − acousticians say. Doubling of sound intensity (acoustic energy) belongs to a calculated level change of +3 dB. +10 dB is the level of twice the perceived volume or twice as loud(loudness) in psychoacoustics − mostly sensed.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm
    Yeah, yeah, yeah - log scale schmog scale. What I want to know is: if I want to listen to a recording of SRV with my eyes closed and a snootful of lovely amber fluid exactly what speakers and more importantly what amplifier should I use? Analog? Digital? Tubes? Oh my!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Don't believe everything you think.

great. Now that Tjamz is talking speakers(to mostly himself), he's going to ruin what was a bad ass thread. thanks guys.

People need to be loud the whole time sdsu is on offense and not just when they go up to the line. Make it hard for them to get the plays called and maybe cause some confusion as to what play is called in the huddle. Might make them burn some timeouts or even cause delay of game penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison20 View Post
    People need to be loud the whole time sdsu is on offense and not just when they go up to the line. Make it hard for them to get the plays called and maybe cause some confusion as to what play is called in the huddle. Might make them burn some timeouts or even cause delay of game penalties.
    I swear this fing crowed better blow the roof off the doom.

https://youtu.be/T_chHL-57i0
    Last edited by MAKBison; 12-12-2018 at 12:36 AM.

This! The oldest game we attended was a NFL divisional game at the Metrodome where it was deafening before the Cowboys even got into a huddle and it stayed that way until the snap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bison20 View Post
    It's OK to not be OK.