Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iowa and UNI Duals

Default Re: Iowa and UNI Duals

Mkgwire Midkiff with his redshirt pulled in his home state.

GREAT first period for Midkiff. 2-0 plus 2 minutes of RT

5-4 Midkiff heading to the third. He has RT and starts on bottom

11-6 win for True Freshman Midkiff! He got badly out scrambled and still won. Gutty performance and great decision to pull the redshirt (we have an abundance of lightweight talent and the years overlap)

Alber vs Hampton to close

NDSU up by 3

This should be a bonus point win for Alber, which would secure the dual for UNI. Hampton needs to pull something crazy off and probably do damage on top

10-4 Alber after 1 and Hampton even got a TD

18-4 after 2

19-4 tech for Alber.

UNI wins the dual 21-19 with that win

Would've been great to get the win, but #13 UNI is very solid. I actually though the majority of the team wrestled well and the coaching staff did a good job.

125- Bianchi laid an egg. He needs to learn how to get away on bottom and get out of the legs. I still think Bianchi is going to be very good, but his early season performance has left a lot to be desired. Need to get better in scrambles too.
    133- Love the decision to pull Midkiff's redshirt (would've even liked to see it happen against Iowa). With Cam only being a rSo, Bianchi a rFr, Fleetwood redshirting this year, and Degen performing well, someone was going to have to sit next year anyway. Might as well let Midkiff fill in for Cam (although I REALLY hope Cam doesn't have a major injury). As far as his performance, I though he did great. No fear, aggressive, and great conditioning. Got outscrambled several times, but adjusted and overcame. Kid has a bright future and could be the big get in his recruiting class (which is saying a lot with Metz in the class).
    141- Hampton was overmatched but battled. The match was trending in the wrong direction, so he took some risks that backfired.
    149- Gliva faced a superior opponent and kept it close.
    157- Clay looked very good and closed the match out to get the major. His match against Kemmerer didn't go well on Friday, but his other matches this year have been very good.
    165- Great start and great finish for Fogarty. The second period went poorly, but UNI makes their money on top. Fogarty's heavy hips and solid attacks won him this match.
    174- Terrible performance. He was facing a superior opponent, but the effort wasn't there. Urbach routinely got to Lujan's legs, and did 1 of 2 things: 1. Sit there and wait for Lujan to overpower him. 2. Let go for no reason and let Lujan go behind for the takedown. No excuse for getting to a guys legs that often/easily and then give up. I'm ready to see a new body in at 174. My preference is for it to be Witzig (assuming he can make 174), Popp, Clingenpeel/Knutson. Good chance this weight is a struggle all yea, but I'd at least like to see someone put the effort forward.
    184- Mcnutt looked great in the third period. This reminded me of a match he had vs Mueller last year. It seems like Tyler is better conditioned than most of his opponents and can take over late. Just need to wrestle a little better early and he can win more of these. Foster was an All American last year
    197- Eaton looks improved. Good conditioning, solid leg attacks, and active. Keep working on shot D and more efficient attacks and he can do big things. Nice to see both of the guys from Iowa get wins vs UNI.
    HWT- Stibral had a huge win.He was simply too big and strong for Isley. I haven't been huge on big Dan's potential, but he impressed me here. Still haven't seem offense from him, but he got a really good win here and hopefully he builds off of it.

I was glad to see the guys take this one down to the final match. The outlook wasn't quite so good, but getting those wins at 133 and 275 sure helped. With OkSt coming off a 30-3 win over the Gophers, it isn't going to be any easier next week, but I hope this tough schedule pays dividends down the road.