Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: USD Post Game Thoughts

Default Re: USD Post Game Thoughts

The Bison certainly showed up today. Almost 650 yards, almost 50 points, and the only part of the game it seemed like the Bison had trouble with was getting one yard. I am not nitpicking, I just thought it was interesting. The depleted defense not only held their own against a big play offense, they pretty much shut them down after half time. You make a QB move, their accuracy plummets.

I have said this in years past, there are games you can point out when Coach K has more involvement in the defense. I think it is less and less as Entz is becoming very capable without much help anymore, but this game had Klieman writing all over the defense. They obviously saw some things UNI was doing well because they did a lot of things UNI does on defense. Playing a lot of 4-3 under and funneling everything to the OLB, so it plays out more like a 3-4 defense. They didn't play it perfectly, but they played it well enough to through USD completely off their game. The Bison D wasn't just offsetting to the weak side either, they were mixing some over in there too. I love defenses and today counted on everyone really being disciplined to stay in their lane. In the second half, the Bison were pretty much in a quarter package the whole time and when they were bring extra pressure, they were playing their safeties like LBers in a 3-4. This was as drastic of a change the defense has made in any game that I have seen some of the option teams they have played. If they played a team like USD again, now the defense will see what happens when they abandon their responsibilities because those were the plays the yotes kept drives alive. I have said this before, if I was a P5 head coach, I would be begging Klieman to be my d-coordinator.

The Bison surely locked in a first round buy, which is desperately needed. This team needs some time off. Get the win next week and I feel they leave the committee very little choice but to move them back into the #2 spot. The road to Frisco goes through the dome again. A bye and hopefully a break from some valley teams for at least a game or two and it should be a favorable set up to have some more depth in the championship rounds of this season long fight towards another trophy.

I want to address one thing I have heard over and over again about Coach K teams vs. Coach Bohl teams and penalties. I decided to look up the per game average since 2004. Here it is:
    2004: 5.63
    2005: 6.27
    2006: 4.54
    2007: 6.72
    2008: 5.72
    2009: 6.36
    2010: 7.42
    2011: 5.53*
    2012: 4.86*
    2013: 4.86*
    2014: 6.06*
    2015: 5.13*
    2016: 5.92
    2017: 5.50

So in those 14 years, Coach K years were ranked 4th (2015)*#, 5th (2017)#, 9th (2016)#, and 10th (2014)*#. *NC years #MVFC Champs

What is also interesting about the penalty numbers, they drastically went down consistently the year Coach K was hired on the staff. If penalties are going to be the barometer for level of discipline, then it is pretty obvious there hasn't been much of a change from one regime to the next. At least using the last few years of the Bohl regime. I do think with the talent level across FCS consistently getting better over the past 6 to 7 years, penalties are more difficult to overcome every year which make them stand out more.

If this team wins next week and isn't a #2 seed, a crime has been committed.

If SDSU wins they should be #3.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by 1st&TennBison View Post
    Screw that TE that SDSU has, I would put our TE's right up there with him any day. They got open, they were catching balls and their runs after that catch were awesome. It was nice watching them bounce off defenders, stiff arming them and carrying 2-3 of them down field before getting tackled.
    IF, we actually throw to them. Still no Jenson?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

So what happens when the South Dakota Strevelers lose Chris Streveler? He won't be able to Streveler every Streveler for them. I mean how are they going to Streveler?

They're Strevelered
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Clipping call seemed highly suspect live. Glad they didn't keep calling it cause it looked to me like we kept running that stretch play to Brooks with same blocking and it kept getting big yards.
    I am thinking the refs figured out the USD defender turned away at the last second and the actual cut block shouldn't have been called. Maybe you can make a penalty happen once by turning your body at the last moment, but someone will point it out to the ref and they will look for that the next time. It isn't much on the blocker when the defender is squared up when you initiate the block and they quickly turn during the block.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    So what happens when the South Dakota Strevelers lose Chris Streveler? He won't be able to Streveler every Streveler for them. I mean how are they going to Streveler?

They're Strevelered
    Not if they Stick the Stick out of their Stick. Stick them in the Stick and they will get Sticked by a bigger Stick until someone takes their Stick. Then they will be Sticked for good.
    Or is it DeLucaed ?
    From the movie THE PROGRAM

Regent Chairman: This is not a football vocational school. It's an institute for higher learning.
    Coach Winters: Yeah, but when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment? Why don't you stick the bow-tie up your ass?

They're Strevelered
    This is solid work.

Thank good Bison didn't lose during an Eagles bye week. Thatda sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    If anybody bitches about the TEs not being targeted this weekend, then that's a mocking.
    Over the middle/seam route and everything. I broke out a few dance moves after that play.
    Hail the BISON!!!

They're Strevelered
    This is all I could think of when reading your post.