Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Burgum makes announcement about Higher ed future

Default Re: Burgum makes announcement about Higher ed future

Oh, if the committee was 20+ members, I'd be sure he wanted it to go nowhere. If the committee was 10 or less, I'd be sure he was looking for real action. The 15 number is right in the grey area.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    We will know what Burgam wants when he announces who is on the committee. The size of the committee suggests he probably isn't looking for real action, but the exact makeup might change that. I see a few possibilities.

1. Loaded with ND GOP members: Burgum is conceding higher-ed power to the legislature in return for other political considerations.

2. Loaded with business interests: We're going to see a push for job training to extend into the four-year schools instead of the more open-ended programs.

3. Loaded with existing higher-ed interests: Burgam wants the status quo, but wants to look like he's doing something.

4. A fairly even mix of the above: About the same as #3, but Burgam knows no one will be happy with the results of the committee, so he wants them to fight amongst themselves in the news so he looks blameless.

I expect it to be the last one, but either of the first two would be inviting disaster.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    I dont think Burgum needs to do anything politically just for the sake of doing something because he's already one of the top 5 most popular Governors in the nation. He doesn't strike me as the type of guy who would just do something for the sake of doing something

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Bisonville is a pretty good place to discuss online college education. It's a lot like fantasy football.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sharptail View Post
    Bisonville is a pretty good place to discuss online college education. It's a lot like fantasy football.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    You must be new. Logic is a stranger here
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

So, the names are out. Either this committee is going to come up with some revolutionary new ideas(hah!), or it's been designed to do nothing. Obviously, I'm betting on the nothing.

Here's a breakdown(note: some people are counted in more than one category, so the total is more than 15)

Politicians: 7
    Pro-business: 6 to 7
    Pro-education: 6 to 8
    Token student: check
    Education lobbyists represented: check
    Business lobbyists represented: check

Don Morton is the SBHE rep. Guess he's better than Nesset, but he's nowhere near my first(or second, or fifth) choice. Flakoll is on it. Don't recall, but think that's a good thing. Don't know where Gerald VandeWalle falls on the spectrum(chief justice of the ND supreme court). State senators from both parties and two R reps(no big names). Four current NDUS employees(not counting Morton) and one NDSU student.

Don't think any one group is dominant enough to drive major changes. But I've been wrong many times before.

http://www.inforum.com/news/4377881-...ion-task-force
    Last edited by Hammersmith; 12-22-2017 at 04:19 AM. Reason: original Forum story missed one of the R reps

So, the names are out. Either this committee is going to come up with some revolutionary new ideas(hah!), or it's been designed to do nothing. Obviously, I'm betting on the nothing.

Here's a breakdown(note: some people are counted in more than one category, so the total is more than 14)

Politicians: 6

Don Morton is the SBHE rep. Guess he's better than Nesset, but he's nowhere near my first(or second, or fifth) choice. Flakoll is on it. Don't recall, but think that's a good thing. Don't know where Gerald VandeWalle falls on the spectrum(chief justice of the ND supreme court). State senators from both parties and an R legislator (no big names). Four current NDUS employees(not counting Morton) and one NDSU student.

Don't think any one group is dominant enough to drive major changes. But I've been wrong many times before.

markel out of msu is a good guy

Here's a breakdown(note: some people are counted in more than one category, so the total is more than 14)

Politicians: 6

Don Morton is the SBHE rep. Guess he's better than Nesset, but he's nowhere near my first(or second, or fifth) choice. Flakoll is on it. Don't recall, but think that's a good thing. Don't know where Gerald VandeWalle falls on the spectrum(chief justice of the ND supreme court). State senators from both parties and an R legislator (no big names). Four current NDUS employees(not counting Morton) and one NDSU student.

Shockley, out of Bismarck State, has a good rep....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe wrong thread, but close enough. How much would need to be saved to pay for a full 4-5 yr. degree from NDSU starting in 6 years or so and going forward, including housing, food, etc.?

Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Schools have tuition/cost of attendance. Find ndsus multiple x 1.5 and you have more than enough.

$100,000 will more than do it. https://www.collegedata.com/cs/data/...l?schoolId=750
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    Schools have tuition/cost of attendance. Find ndsus multiple x 1.5 and you have more than enough.

$100,000 will more than do it. https://www.collegedata.com/cs/data/...l?schoolId=750
    Thanks. Was working toward $80K, but better amp up the savings a bit.

Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.