Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Burgum makes announcement about Higher ed future

Default Re: Burgum makes announcement about Higher ed future

Speaking for myself, I was hoping that the number of schools would be reduced - at least on paper - as opposed to tripling the size of the bureaucracy. Burgum must have concluded that he is virtually powerless in this arena.

https://www.inforum.com/opinion/lett...g-student-pool

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    Speaking for myself, I was hoping that the number of schools would be reduced - at least on paper - as opposed to tripling the size of the bureaucracy. Burgum must have concluded that he is virtually powerless in this arena.

https://www.inforum.com/opinion/lett...g-student-pool
    Yeah, hasn't the the State Board of Higher Ed's budget been the fastest growing part of the Higher Ed budget for a long time now? Not sure that it's been a model of efficiency.

Two things.

1. This is what happens when you have 15 people who don't know crap serve on a committee. They were charged with addressing governance and created three new boards! Holy sh#t!!! The question in all of this is who's going to be the head #igger in charge? University presidents? The chairman of each board? The boards will be nothing but boosters, yes men saying more, more, more (for our institution)! They're going to have a head-on collision when they get Bismarck, and depending on the whims of the legislature will receive massive and wasteful funding or far too little.

2. Former Provost Ingram is trying to justify the collapse in freshmen matriculation at NDSU this fall. The number of high school graduates is not going down, it's steady to slightly rising. https://forms.llcc.edu/Environmental...rojections.pdf This f#ck-up is going to plague NDSU for a decade and she can't even own up to it.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Yeah, hasn't the the State Board of Higher Ed's budget been the fastest growing part of the Higher Ed budget for a long time now? Not sure that it's been a model of efficiency.
    Yes. They created an unneeded bureaucracy and IT system. This was extremely painful, wasteful, stupid as NDSU has always had their ducks have had to sit and watch as they fumbled around for years.

ND has the administrative and IT overhead for a university system with 100,000 students.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

So No FBS in this?
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    Former Provost Ingram is trying to justify the collapse in freshmen matriculation at NDSU this fall. The number of high school graduates is not going down, it's steady to slightly rising. https://forms.llcc.edu/Environmental...rojections.pdf This f#ck-up is going to plague NDSU for a decade and she can't even own up to it.
    I guess I didn't read it that way. Sounded more to me like she threw the remaining administration under the bus, at least based on the last two sentences. I guess since she quit, she is no longer culpable?

But yes, somebody at NDSU f’d up big time on this and it is going to hurt us. It already is. And you're right. Restructuring the SBHE will only lead to greater infighting for a smaller pool of resources. The correct action is obvious, but people just can't bring themselves to acknowledge it ...