Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: SDSU Post Game Thoughts

SoCalBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: SDSU Post Game Thoughts

Easton had a bad day today--no argument there, but I'm wondering about the lack of improvement this year. Early on, it looked like he had worked on his throwing motion and was throwing faster and straighter than last year. As the season has gone on, he's lost his accuracy and just seems overwhelmed at times. I know that Easton had some time with Carson last summer when the Eagles were in Fargo. I'm wondering if now Easton is too conscious of his play. In other words, it seems like he's overthinking it (the double-pump today comes to mind).

Anyone else sense this? Or have other possible explanations?

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I'm not so concerned about losing a conference game. That's the norm. What does worry me is that our QB has thrown 7 picks in the last 4 games?

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    It was a bad game, every team has them. We play great teams week in and out relax it's 1 damn loss.

Win 2 more and this one doesn't matter
    Yep. Had we not had the huge half time pick we could have won. Heck take away one fumble and we had a chance despite the ridiculousness playcalling. Basically everything that normally goes right today went wrong. How often do we have 2 fumbles and 2 key picks. It happens. This game was an anomaly. SDSU played out of their minds. We played like shit. Murphy's law. Better get that annual dog shit performance out of the way now.
    We will fix it.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    I'm not so concerned about losing a conference game. That's the norm. What does worry me is that our QB has thrown 7 picks in the last 4 games?
    ^This

He has become very inconsistent and it is concerning. Most QBs go through slumps, have off days, etc., but this needs to stop fairly soon.

He needs to throw way less. He also needs to know when to bail out of a play.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    This, he tucked the ball and took a key sack when he could have aired it ob, but easier said then done in game action I guess

I think we will be fine, I'm watching the SUU and UND game previously watched the griz NAU, we are spoiled
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Well, it was bound to happen. We usually drop one each season. You could tell right from the beginning that SDSU wanted this one way more than us. Sometimes no matter how hard you try, things just don't go your way. This game was eerily similar to the 2007 game we played down there. That year we had a 10-0 superstar team, that beat the gophers and Central Michigan. We went down there and laid an egg. I think we had 5 turnovers in that game as well.

They played and won their superbowl, good for them. They blew their wad, so I wouldn't be surprised if they lose next week to ISUr. Look what happened to Ohio State today, got throttled by Iowa, yes Iowa, a week after winning the game of the season. SDSU is emotionally spent so it wouldn't surprised me if they drop their next two games.

So what does this mean for us? A wake up call for sure. We get one every year. We should, and hopefully will, get hungry again and play like we are capable. As for Stick, he is very Jensen like. A decent, dependable QB who is a winner. He is not all world, he can't thrown the ball 60 yards on a rope, but is good enough to get the job done. He throws an accurate short ball and can run. Every QB has a bad game or two a year. Walker had 3 or 4 picks against SDSU in '07. Jensen lost the ISUb game and damned near lost the Miss State game for us in '12. We lost to Mont. and USD in '14 with Wentz and still won a title. We could just as easily win one again this year, but if we don't learn from today, we will be bounced early.

We are still leading the conference and if past history comes to fruition, we will rebound, win out and get home field advantage for the playoffs once again. The team needs to get hungry again for that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    We need to run more and I'm not talking exclusively the read option out of shotgun. Like under center.

Here is how the game felt. Run 5 yards hand off. Run 6 yards hand off first down. Pass shotgun 1st down incomplete. 2nd down and 10 shotgun either incomplete or a read option 2 yards. Then it's 3rd and long and that's not how we win games.

We need to run a physical offense and do play action more often. You don't wear out a defense when your online is back peddling. Pound the fuck out of the defense and before you know it these short runs go for 10.

I feel like panicked

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    We need to run more and I'm not talking exclusively the read option out of shotgun. Like under center.

Here is how the game felt. Run 5 yards hand off. Run 6 yards hand off first down. Pass shotgun 1st down incomplete. 2nd down and 10 shotgun either incomplete or a read option 2 yards. Then it's 3rd and long and that's not how we win games.

We need to run a physical offense and do play action more often. You don't wear out a defense when your online is back peddling. Pound the fuck out of the defense and before you know it these short runs go for 10.

I feel like panicked
    I think this is going to be an ongoing concern/problem with Coach Mess at the helm of the offense. He's not an under center guy. He's a spread, primarily gun offense.

Quote Originally Posted by wisco4 View Post
    I think this is going to be an ongoing concern/problem with Coach Mess at the helm of the offense. He's not an under center guy. He's a spread, primarily gun offense.
    Sounds like Klieman wasn't happy with the amount of rushes, think they will have a talk
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant