Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 95-46 Exhibition win

Default 95-46 Exhibition win

Some quotes from the article

Miller, the team's shooting guard the last couple of seasons, started at the point, a spot that was occupied last year by Khy Kabellis, who since transferred. He didn't take his first shot until late in the first half, instead taking on more of a running-the-offense role.

"It was encouraging to see Cam, I thought he was aggressive going downhill and getting to the free throw line," Richman said.

Miller led the Bison with five assists and finished with seven points. Ward looked the part of a top returning playmaker and led the Bison with 16 points along with true freshman guard Tyree Eady, who's making a bid to play right away.

"That (decision) hasn't been made yet," Eady said. "Hopefully soon that will sort out."

Ward had 12 of his points in helping the Bison take a 43-23 lead at half. A 14-3 run including nine straight early in the second half put it away.

NDSU started Paul Miller, Ward and Jared Samuelson at guard and Dylan Miller and Deng Geu at the forward spots. Because it was an exhibition, the Bison could play their entire roster without the risk of any true freshmen losing a redshirt. As usual, a couple gave Richman a few things to think about.

Rocky Kreuser, a 6-9 forward from White Bear Lake, Minn., came in for a quick five points in the first half, including a 3-pointer.

"I think we have some questions and conversations to be had," Richman said.

Bison senior forward A.J. Jacobson, who is not fully healed from a stress fracture in his foot, did not play.

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 95-46 Exhibition win

Last night's exhibition left more questions than answers I think. Still don't know who the starting 5 will be, looks like Paul will run the point but not sure if AJ will start in place of Samuelson or in place of Geu. Cam was the last guy off the bench other than Meidinger or Mertens who will both for sure redshirt but when he came in I thought he played very well, better than Van Dulm I'd say but he doesn't have as much size. He was aggressive on the offensive end and definitely has the quickness on defense to hang with some of the guards of the Summit, I think Cam will be the first backup PG off the bench. Quayle looked much better in live game action than I had anticipated and he was one of the first guys off the bench. Eady looked great, I'm not sure where the minutes will come from but I don't know if we can afford to redshirt him, he can contribute right away, very solid all around player. Same could be said for Rocky, he looked good when we was out there and having him next to Meidinger for the next 3 years is going to be awesome for our program. When Jordan got in at the end of the game he looked about how I expected, he's obviously ridiculously tall, he made a nice little left handed hook shot but what impressed me most was his boxing out on rebounds. For a man that size who has been able to just outreach people most of his life he used his huge frame very effectively to keep guys behind him and clean the glass. Footwork needs a little work yet on defense and he definitely needs to build some strength as he still got scored on a few times by much smaller Concordia post players but he's gonna dominate the Summit sooner rather than later I think. Paul looked smooth as always, Tyson Ward is a star, Geu looks improved but still blew some assignments on defense and Dylan Miller was effective in his game but still not in the post. Going to be very interesting to see how the rotation plays out but we have a ton of young talent and depth which hopefully means by time the end of the year rolls around we've figured it all out.

On a side note I thought our offense actually looked like an offense last night. It still had some of the dribble weave concept but there seemed to be more movement, more screen and roll and more shots early on in the shot clock. We actually looked to the post often even if it wasn't there and didn't have to throw up a bunch of garbage at the end of the shot clock. We'll see if it carries over into the regular season or if it was just more effective against lowly Concordia but there was also more than one set play ran, including the one that worked beautifully to get a wide open 3 before half. I think we'll struggle early on in the season with so many new faces but this team could be dangerous come March.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    Last night's exhibition left more questions than answers I think. Still don't know who the starting 5 will be, looks like Paul will run the point but not sure if AJ will start in place of Samuelson or in place of Geu. Cam was the last guy off the bench other than Meidinger or Mertens who will both for sure redshirt but when he came in I thought he played very well, better than Van Dulm I'd say but he doesn't have as much size. He was aggressive on the offensive end and definitely has the quickness on defense to hang with some of the guards of the Summit, I think Cam will be the first backup PG off the bench. Quayle looked much better in live game action than I had anticipated and he was one of the first guys off the bench. Eady looked great, I'm not sure where the minutes will come from but I don't know if we can afford to redshirt him, he can contribute right away, very solid all around player. Same could be said for Rocky, he looked good when we was out there and having him next to Meidinger for the next 3 years is going to be awesome for our program. When Jordan got in at the end of the game he looked about how I expected, he's obviously ridiculously tall, he made a nice little left handed hook shot but what impressed me most was his boxing out on rebounds. For a man that size who has been able to just outreach people most of his life he used his huge frame very effectively to keep guys behind him and clean the glass. Footwork needs a little work yet on defense and he definitely needs to build some strength as he still got scored on a few times by much smaller Concordia post players but he's gonna dominate the Summit sooner rather than later I think. Paul looked smooth as always, Tyson Ward is a star, Geu looks improved but still blew some assignments on defense and Dylan Miller was effective in his game but still not in the post. Going to be very interesting to see how the rotation plays out but we have a ton of young talent and depth which hopefully means by time the end of the year rolls around we've figured it all out.

On a side note I thought our offense actually looked like an offense last night. It still had some of the dribble weave concept but there seemed to be more movement, more screen and roll and more shots early on in the shot clock. We actually looked to the post often even if it wasn't there and didn't have to throw up a bunch of garbage at the end of the shot clock. We'll see if it carries over into the regular season or if it was just more effective against lowly Concordia but there was also more than one set play ran, including the one that worked beautifully to get a wide open 3 before half. I think we'll struggle early on in the season with so many new faces but this team could be dangerous come March.
    Agreed on Eady and Krauser but disagree on Cam Hunter. Eady is physically ready to play right away but it's too bad his position (2/3) is about the only one on the team with solid depth right now. I could see him playing right away and then having them slide AJ down to the 4 at times. Krauser looks raw still but he at least seems to have some idea how to put the ball in the hoop of offense (which is more than I can say for Eliason at this point). I wish they didn't have to but it seems like he's their best option to backup Dylan Miller right now. Hunter really struggled to finish in the lane I thought which is not a good sign. Getting into the lane wasn't a problem but it seemed like he couldn't even get a layup onto the rim without it getting swatted first. If that's what happens against Concordia I can only imagine how much worse it'll be against D1 competition. It really seems like Paul is going to have to handle the point this year if this team is going to go anywhere. Maybe Samuelson can spell him a bit from a ball handling point of view.

On another note, they did not run the dribble weave on offense at all that I saw. The ran a motion offense with a lot of screens (on the ball and away from it) so I hope that's something they stay with. Without any kind of post presence this year they need to get their bigs out on the perimeter setting screens to try to create mismatches.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Agreed on Eady and Krauser but disagree on Cam Hunter. Eady is physically ready to play right away but it's too bad his position (2/3) is about the only one on the team with solid depth right now. I could see him playing right away and then having them slide AJ down to the 4 at times. Krauser looks raw still but he at least seems to have some idea how to put the ball in the hoop of offense (which is more than I can say for Eliason at this point). I wish they didn't have to but it seems like he's their best option to backup Dylan Miller right now. Hunter really struggled to finish in the lane I thought which is not a good sign. Getting into the lane wasn't a problem but it seemed like he couldn't even get a layup onto the rim without it getting swatted first. If that's what happens against Concordia I can only imagine how much worse it'll be against D1 competition. It really seems like Paul is going to have to handle the point this year if this team is going to go anywhere. Maybe Samuelson can spell him a bit from a ball handling point of view.

On another note, they did not run the dribble weave on offense at all that I saw. The ran a motion offense with a lot of screens (on the ball and away from it) so I hope that's something they stay with. Without any kind of post presence this year they need to get their bigs out on the perimeter setting screens to try to create mismatches.
    Idk which game you watched but cam got fouled nearly every time he went to the rim and why he shot 10 from the charity stripe
    TRUST THE PROCESS

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    Idk which game you watched but cam got fouled nearly every time he went to the rim and why he shot 10 from the charity stripe
    That could be it because I didn't realize he got to the line that often. I definitely wasn't paying close attention the whole game so it sure could've just been me paying attention at the wrong times for him but there were times he drove and got swallowed up without a whistle. Again, it was against Concordia so tough to put too much stock in it either way. I hope he can play some significant minutes going forward to take some of the ball handling responsibilities away from Paul Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    Sorry I did not check the final stats but in the first half we were only 65% from the line. If we are going to drive to the bucket and get fouled, need to finish the with way better free throw shooting.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Miller the point guard, on a team needing scoring?

Ya, and Buxton should bat cleanup, and Kareem should have played the 3 instead of the 5. Really?

Give Hunter the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    Miller the point guard, on a team needing scoring?

Ya, and Buxton should bat cleanup, and Kareem should have played the 3 instead of the 5. Really?

Give Hunter the ball.
    Then you're putting AJ at the 4 on a team with no post presence offensively or defensively. It really boils down to who helps the team more getting "starter minutes", Hunter or Geu?

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Then you're putting AJ at the 4 on a team with no post presence offensively or defensively. It really boils down to who helps the team more getting "starter minutes", Hunter or Geu?
    I would much rather have Paul play the 2 and give Hunter the 1. We assume he is capable of running the 1. Rather keep Paul's energy for scoring and playing his solid defense.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Hunter shot 70 percent didn’t he?
    TRUST THE PROCESS