Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: From a JMU fan. How good is this year's Bison squad compared to last year's?

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: From a JMU fan. How good is this year's Bison squad compared to last year's?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Um, I’m pretty sure I only compared the results of games from last year with the same MVFC teams they’ve played so far this year.

My point was simple, our offense wasn’t better last year than this year. The stats prove that. If you don’t like stats, go reread some of the 2016 game day threads of those MVFC games. Constant complaints about Stick and Co.

Like a lot of past years’ teams, many here forget how much hair they pulled out when watching NDSU’s offense. I don’t see much of difference of this year’s team to the 2011-2012 teams led by Jensen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you look at our 3rd down conversion rate and Our QB completion percentage you would see that they are not close to where we were in 2011-12 in conference games. We had the same issues last year. In 2011 Brock completed well over 60% of his passes and in 2012 we had a 3rd down conversion rate of over 50%. In the last three games we are under 50% completion rate passing and 33% on third down conversions. Hopefully we improve these areas the next few games.

Default Re: From a JMU fan. How good is this year's Bison squad compared to last year's?

Simply put Easton's passing has not been very good the last 3 games. 30 of 61 for 470 yards, 4 TD's and 4 int's. He really struggled against YSU and UNI. Yeah those teams have good defenses, so will PO teams like JMU. He needs to play better. The offense needs to play better. I thought Messingham was supposed to help with the passing efficiency? He needs to do better as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    Here's how freaking twisted NDSU fans are. Outside of the 2013 team that absolutely blew people away any which way they desired, this is the norm during this entire run. Crush OOC opponents and then grind through the conference. Seriously you people have short memories and WAAAAAAAY to high of expectations. I remember when this run first started how freaking awesome it was to leave the dome with a win. Didn't care if it was by 3 points or 30. A win is a win. Check out the threads. Fire Vigen/Save Season every year. Then Polacek. This is how it goes through conference play. These guys see us every year and many, many times on cross over film. We don't disguise much and rely heavily on the line to create plays for both the passing and running game. Then playoffs come and we look like world beaters because those teams very rarely see us and only have a week to prepare. Back away from the ledge. This is a great offense that should still be getting better as time goes.
    We were down 23-10 to UNI in Fargo entering the 4th quarter in 2013.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 13>1 View Post
    ^Right?

There's no way the Bison are as good as they appear, after all they haven't played anyone up until the Valley gauntlet starts. Then they start playing some very good teams and the Bison suck on offense and Easton is not playing well. No credit to the Bison when the competition sucks, and then no credit to the other teams when the Bison start to struggle. Get's old when people continually complain about the negative things and never appear to be happy when a win is a win. There's a reason I stay out of those game day threads after page 1, those things are the worst.
    I am happy as hell we are 8-0! I am happy as hell the way our defense is playing. I see some things that to make a run at another title I believe we need to improve on. Yeah, were spoiled but I don't think our staff enjoyed losing in the semi's last year any more than the fans! I'm sure the coaching staff isn't too happy with our offenseive 33% 3rd down conversion rate the last three games either.

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    I am happy as hell we are 8-0! I am happy as hell the way our defense is playing. I see some things that to make a run at another title I believe we need to improve on. Yeah, were spoiled but I don't think our staff enjoyed losing in the semi's last year any more than the fans! I'm sure the coaching staff isn't too happy with our offenseive 33% 3rd down conversion rate the last three games either.
    Agreed. That feeling sucked last year. I just like to be half glass full all the time and I know it's probably not a good thing to always stay that way. I just like to believe that our coaching staff and this amazing young man named Easton Stick are working their tails off to improve. Coach said Easton missed on a couple of throws against UNI, I don't see how Messingham can be blamed for that. I also don't see enough credit given to a defense when Klieman continually references the different looks opposing teams throw at us and how it was a look they'd never seen. Opponents bring their best, they pull out all the tricks from the bag, and the target on our back can't be any bigger. Yet we keep winning games somehow.
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Simply put Easton's passing has not been very good the last 3 games. 30 of 61 for 470 yards, 4 TD's and 4 int's. He really struggled against YSU and UNI. Yeah those teams have good defenses, so will PO teams like JMU. He needs to play better. The offense needs to play better. I thought Messingham was supposed to help with the passing efficiency? He needs to do better as well.
    I have noticed in the last couple of games that we have been throwing the homerun ball more. There was a play against Western that it was 2 and 6 from our own 30/35. We went for a deep sideline pass that was well defended and overthrown to the outside. That left us with a 3 & 6. The point being was the deep ball had not been there and a short TE pass or a run play could help get us into a 3 and short or maybe a set of fresh downs. Yes I know you need to throw the deep ball to help backup the safeties and corners a bit. I do not really know. He completes the pass and we are all happy and do not care. Incomplete and we all second guess. The wisdom from us armchair quarterbacks is invaluable.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    I have noticed in the last couple of games that we have been throwing the homerun ball more. There was a play against Western that it was 2 and 6 from our own 30/35. We went for a deep sideline pass that was well defended and overthrown to the outside. That left us with a 3 & 6. The point being was the deep ball had not been there and a short TE pass or a run play could help get us into a 3 and short or maybe a set of fresh downs. Yes I know you need to throw the deep ball to help backup the safeties and corners a bit. I do not really know. He completes the pass and we are all happy and do not care. Incomplete and we all second guess. The wisdom from us armchair quarterbacks is invaluable.
    Except when it has, multiple times this year, including the game you speak of.......

Does anyone else think our TE's are under utilized in the pass game? I know CAS brought it up a couple years ago, but going back they've never been highly targeted. I've always thought Illies was used wrong as a TE and should have been a WR. The guy has great hands and is faster then he looks. Jensen and Ellefson are more the prototypical TE's. Even so it seems they are hardly targeted and when they are it's a big play or big first down for the offense. I'd like to see them used more in the pass game. Another play that seems to have disappeared is the middle screen that was such a staple for our first couple championship teams. Maybe teams have adjusted to take that away or we are saving it? I don't know it just seems like too much of our pass game is focused on the WR's and maybe a few more targets to TE's and RB's would help open the WR's up a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    Just curious. Not really sure about our team this year. Seem a little complacent, but been killing every team we play.
    See what you started bulldog?

How are you feeling about Elon? Seems like they're just slipping by teams, so I'm skeptical they will offer much of a hurdle to the Dukes. Probably the one last question mark on your regular season tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    If Easton was missing wide open guys...I would totally agree, I feel like it is now the norm to have to throw it into a tiny window as the receivers aren't open. Sometimes it is magic....which leads to these unreal catches by RJ. I would love for a receiver to create that separation that is needed for a QB to make an easier throw. I know...he has probably missed a couple of guys...and I know some of you probably have an example of a bad throw...perfect, we agree. on the average, we do not get open. Small sample size, look at Carson from last year to this year. Better crew getting open. I love our guys. All of them. Some unreal ball players. Tough as nails, warriors, blockers, etc. But they aren't wide open. Everyone needs to pull out their best this weekend.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.