Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: From a JMU fan. How good is this year's Bison squad compared to last year's?

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: From a JMU fan. How good is this year's Bison squad compared to last year's?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Based on what stats makes you guys think this year's offense is worse than last year?

Comparing scores from last year to this year:

Missouri State: 2016 - NDSU wins 27-3 (428 Total yards - 159 P/269 R). 2017 - NDSU wins 38-11 (434 Total yards - 220 P/214 R).
    Indiana State: 2016 - NDSU wins 41-17 (316 Total yards - 73 P/243 R). 2017 - NDSU wins 52-0 (448 Total yards - 202 P/246 R).
    Youngstown State: 2016 - NDSU wins 24-3 (329 Total yards - 89 P/240 R). 2017 - NDSU wins 27-24 (393 Total yards - 113 P/280 R).
    Western Illinois: 2016 - NDSU wins 21-3 (357 Total yards - 160 P/197 R). 2017 - NDSU wins 24-12 (402 Total yards - 221 P/181 R).
    Northern Iowa: 2016 - NDSU wins 24-20 (335 Total yards - 118 P/217 R). 2017 - NDSU wins 30-14 (305 Total yards - 136 P/169 R).

No way this year's team is worse than last year's team. I think people tend to forget how low scoring our offense tends to be during the MVFC season. Just go look throughout the Championship years, and you'll be surprised how few times NDSU scores 30 or more against conference teams.

2011: Three
    2012: Four
    2013: Five
    2014: Six
    2015: Four
    2016: Two
    2017: Three so far.

The reason for this is the power run game. The first half is about tenderizing their DL so they're easier to move against in the second half, which is precisely what happened in the Northern Iowa game. My biggest issue with the UNI game, was Easton locking on one receiver and not going through his progressions to make a better decision. That caused the pick near the endzone and kept him from getting into rhythm for most of the game. It also didn't help when the receivers didn't fight harder to hold on to balls that were being knock out of their hands while catching them.
    Sorry, not buying what you're selling. The offensive stats were built on four horseshit teams and a Big Fluffy team that hasn't played defense since, well, ever. Two of those horseshit teams were Valley teams. Stick has regressed in his passing effectiveness. I see no improvement against good teams than last year.

X-Factor is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: From a JMU fan. How good is this year's Bison squad compared to last year's?

It would be like the classic games against UNI or Georgia Southern. First team to 20 points wins.
    Nah, just Georgia Southern. Time and place, will and talent, UNI has never came close. The 2nd GSU game is one of the few all-time great battles and JMU would best reflect that. I'd hate to put them in the same company as UNI.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil View Post
    Sorry, not buying what you're selling. The offensive stats were built on four horseshit teams and a Big Fluffy team that hasn't played defense since, well, ever. Two of those horseshit teams were Valley teams. Stick has regressed in his passing effectiveness. I see no improvement against good teams than last year.
    Um, I’m pretty sure I only compared the results of games from last year with the same MVFC teams they’ve played so far this year.

My point was simple, our offense wasn’t better last year than this year. The stats prove that. If you don’t like stats, go reread some of the 2016 game day threads of those MVFC games. Constant complaints about Stick and Co.

Like a lot of past years’ teams, many here forget how much hair they pulled out when watching NDSU’s offense. I don’t see much of difference of this year’s team to the 2011-2012 teams led by Jensen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!

Bison4peat is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Waiting for the re-match. I think our defense is better than last year. Offense is very inconsistent.

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Um, I’m pretty sure I only compared the results of games from last year with the same MVFC teams they’ve played so far this year.

My point was simple, our offense wasn’t better last year than this year. The stats prove that. If you don’t like stats, go reread some of the 2016 game day threads of those MVFC games. Constant complaints about Stick and Co.

Like a lot of past years’ teams, many here forget how much hair they pulled out when watching NDSU’s offense. I don’t see much of difference of this year’s team to the 2011-2012 teams led by Jensen.

Stats don't tell the entire story, they are an indicator but not definitive. The eyeball test of how poorly Stick performs against really good teams tells me more than simple yards per game and yards passing per game. He is struggling, causing turnovers, ergo the offense is not as good.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil View Post
    Stats don't tell the entire story, they are an indicator but not definitive. The eyeball test of how poorly Stick performs against really good teams tells me more than simple yards per game and yards passing per game. He is struggling, causing turnovers, ergo the offense is not as good.
    Do you remember any of the games from last year against “good teams” (how about the near pick-six against Charleston Southern at the end of game)? Pretty much all nail-biters, including against some bad teams (Missouri State). How about nearly letting Northern Iowa back in the game, or not finishing off SDSU (ignores an open TE over the middle for a first down to pretty much end the game, and instead, overthrows Shepherd deep in tight coverage).

Your eyeball test isn’t working if you believe he threw the ball better last year, and yes stats do matter regardless of how you feel about them.

Yes, he has had some bad passes, but way more “dimes” this season and way less WTFs.

Got to remember that until Youngstown State, Easton’s day as QB was over pretty quick (one game, he was only 5/5). That lack of game time is an issue along with not having a fully healed Davis as his full ability is being held in check to prevent any injury.

Hail the BISON!!!

Stick is our man and will lead us. The defense is also a leader and together we are all a "TEAM".
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Easton is not 100%. This is just like when Brock got nicked up; accuracy often suffers. But the kids is a winner just like Brock. He'll get through it.

Here's how freaking twisted NDSU fans are. Outside of the 2013 team that absolutely blew people away any which way they desired, this is the norm during this entire run. Crush OOC opponents and then grind through the conference. Seriously you people have short memories and WAAAAAAAY to high of expectations. I remember when this run first started how freaking awesome it was to leave the dome with a win. Didn't care if it was by 3 points or 30. A win is a win. Check out the threads. Fire Vigen/Save Season every year. Then Polacek. This is how it goes through conference play. These guys see us every year and many, many times on cross over film. We don't disguise much and rely heavily on the line to create plays for both the passing and running game. Then playoffs come and we look like world beaters because those teams very rarely see us and only have a week to prepare. Back away from the ledge. This is a great offense that should still be getting better as time goes.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    Here's how freaking twisted NDSU fans are. Outside of the 2013 team that absolutely blew people away any which way they desired, this is the norm during this entire run. Crush OOC opponents and then grind through the conference. Seriously you people have short memories and WAAAAAAAY to high of expectations. I remember when this run first started how freaking awesome it was to leave the dome with a win. Didn't care if it was by 3 points or 30. A win is a win. Check out the threads. Fire Vigen/Save Season every year. Then Polacek. This is how it goes through conference play. These guys see us every year and many, many times on cross over film. We don't disguise much and rely heavily on the line to create plays for both the passing and running game. Then playoffs come and we look like world beaters because those teams very rarely see us and only have a week to prepare. Back away from the ledge. This is a great offense that should still be getting better as time goes.
    ^Right?

There's no way the Bison are as good as they appear, after all they haven't played anyone up until the Valley gauntlet starts. Then they start playing some very good teams and the Bison suck on offense and Easton is not playing well. No credit to the Bison when the competition sucks, and then no credit to the other teams when the Bison start to struggle. Get's old when people continually complain about the negative things and never appear to be happy when a win is a win. There's a reason I stay out of those game day threads after page 1, those things are the worst.
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1