Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: From a JMU fan. How good is this year's Bison squad compared to last year's?

Default Re: From a JMU fan. How good is this year's Bison squad compared to last year's?

Defense is better. Offense is a little underwhelming.

Default Re: From a JMU fan. How good is this year's Bison squad compared to last year's?

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Defense is better.
    I think we are back to being more pressure as opposed to last year we were more bend but dont break.
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I think Stick's performance has been pretty predictable when you look at the defenses he's faced. He's lit up the bad defenses (first 5 games of the year), played decent against good defenses (YSU and WIU), and really struggled against an elite defense (UNI).
    Fully agree. UNI had a great defense. That nose tackle, in particular, was phenomenal. (reminded me of Xavier Williams) He swear he was 3 yards into NDSU's backfield every play.

Tony, you commented on mobile QB's, and that is true. However, having Nick is huge, not to mention Cox in the second half. I just thing it will be tough for SDSU due to that, but yet, they will probably get 20 or so points.

As others have said this Bison defense is the best one since 2013 and that's without Menard. Our Dline rotates a lot, at least 6 deep. We have excellent speed and athleticism at LB and rotate at least 4-5 there as well. Our secondary is getting better every game led by our safety's and Alison has stepped into that shut down corner role. Way more depth then any team I can remember actually.

The offense is not as good as last season IMO. Stick looked really shaky against UNI. His running ability is his greatest asset. Without our #1 backup they have limited his running I think and it's effected his overall game. The oline seems to be getting better every game. Our RB situation is a real concern with all the injuries but Bruce and Ty are a very good combo. TE's are under rated and not targeted enough IMO. WR's have been meh outside of RJ's spectacular catches.

A final between JMU and NDSU would be an epic defensive battle IMO. Would be fairly similar to our first chipper in 2011 against SHSU. They had a great defense that year.

Defense looks great and seems to be getting stronger as the year progresses. The Offense actually seems to have taken a step back along with a jump in competition as expected. O-line isn't driving teams off the ball in the first half like it has in the past years. Would like to see the Bison try and get the backs more off-tackle vs. between the tackles, at least early in the game. As true with Bison teams in the past the o-line gets stronger late in the game. I do think the offense needs to improve if the Bison are going to make it to Frisco. UNI play calling in the first half was a bit perplexing to me vs. prior games this year and it didn't help that Stick was off his game a bit.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    As others have said this Bison defense is the best one since 2013 and that's without Menard. Our Dline rotates a lot, at least 6 deep. We have excellent speed and athleticism at LB and rotate at least 4-5 there as well. Our secondary is getting better every game led by our safety's and Alison has stepped into that shut down corner role. Way more depth then any team I can remember actually.

The offense is not as good as last season IMO. Stick looked really shaky against UNI. His running ability is his greatest asset. Without our #1 backup they have limited his running I think and it's effected his overall game. The oline seems to be getting better every game. Our RB situation is a real concern with all the injuries but Bruce and Ty are a very good combo. TE's are under rated and not targeted enough IMO. WR's have been meh outside of RJ's spectacular catches.

A final between JMU and NDSU would be an epic defensive battle IMO. Would be fairly similar to our first chipper in 2011 against SHSU. They had a great defense that year.
    If this happens, I hope there is way for Frisco to bring in more seats or even move the game. The 2 fan bases could fill a 30k stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    If this happens, I hope there is way for Frisco to bring in more seats or even move the game. The 2 fan bases could fill a 30k stadium.
    Move it to Jerry World.

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Move it to Jerry World.
    30,000 is pretty lowball, and "Cotton Bowl' was the answer you were looking for

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    I wish they would but no way that happens. But I got mine already so my concern-o-meter is a lot lower than past years.
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Defense is better. Offense is a little underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW IT ALL View Post
    Defense looks great and seems to be getting stronger as the year progresses. The Offense actually seems to have taken a step back along with a jump in competition as expected. O-line isn't driving teams off the ball in the first half like it has in the past years. Would like to see the Bison try and get the backs more off-tackle vs. between the tackles, at least early in the game. As true with Bison teams in the past the o-line gets stronger late in the game. I do think the offense needs to improve if the Bison are going to make it to Frisco. UNI play calling in the first half was a bit perplexing to me vs. prior games this year and it didn't help that Stick was off his game a bit.
    Based on what stats makes you guys think this year's offense is worse than last year?

Comparing scores from last year to this year:

Missouri State: 2016 - NDSU wins 27-3 (428 Total yards - 159 P/269 R). 2017 - NDSU wins 38-11 (434 Total yards - 220 P/214 R).
    Indiana State: 2016 - NDSU wins 41-17 (316 Total yards - 73 P/243 R). 2017 - NDSU wins 52-0 (448 Total yards - 202 P/246 R).
    Youngstown State: 2016 - NDSU wins 24-3 (329 Total yards - 89 P/240 R). 2017 - NDSU wins 27-24 (393 Total yards - 113 P/280 R).
    Western Illinois: 2016 - NDSU wins 21-3 (357 Total yards - 160 P/197 R). 2017 - NDSU wins 24-12 (402 Total yards - 221 P/181 R).
    Northern Iowa: 2016 - NDSU wins 24-20 (335 Total yards - 118 P/217 R). 2017 - NDSU wins 30-14 (305 Total yards - 136 P/169 R).

No way this year's team is worse than last year's team. I think people tend to forget how low scoring our offense tends to be during the MVFC season. Just go look throughout the Championship years, and you'll be surprised how few times NDSU scores 30 or more against conference teams.

2011: Three
    2012: Four
    2013: Five
    2014: Six
    2015: Four
    2016: Two
    2017: Three so far.

The reason for this is the power run game. The first half is about tenderizing their DL so they're easier to move against in the second half, which is precisely what happened in the Northern Iowa game. My biggest issue with the UNI game, was Easton locking on one receiver and not going through his progressions to make a better decision. That caused the pick near the endzone and kept him from getting into rhythm for most of the game. It also didn't help when the receivers didn't fight harder to hold on to balls that were being knock out of their hands while catching them.
    Hail the BISON!!!