Page 38 of 46 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: GDT: NDSU vs. Northern Iowa

Default Re: GDT: NDSU vs. Northern Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    What frustrates me is Cox made a textbook tackle. Key word tackle it was not hit type tackle.
    The crown of his helmet hit the players facemask
    Which would indicate his head was down
    Which in turn would make it not a textbook tackle
    Pretty sure you are taught to keep your head up
    Yep
    The best way to tackle is to take small, quick steps while you run. Get into position by squatting down with your feet shoulder-width apart and your shoulders back. Keep your head up at all times to avoid injury. Once you make contact, bring both of your arms up as if you’re hugging the other player, and continue holding on until the play is over.
    TRUST THE PROCESS

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    I weep for the reading comprehension on this board.
    It's easy to comprehend you are 100% biased by your fandom.

No problem. It's obvious by the boos and cheers based 100% on who benefits by a call.

NDSU fans are no better or worse than any other team in this respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    It's easy to comprehend you are 100% biased by your fandom.

No problem. It's obvious by the boos and cheers based 100% on who benefits by a call.

NDSU fans are no better or worse than any other team in this respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ignoring fact I agreed call against Farley from previous game was similar situation. But yeah I'm just a homer about all this and your reading comprehension is spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    The crown of his helmet hit the players facemask
    Which would indicate his head was down
    Which in turn would make it not a textbook tackle
    Pretty sure you are taught to keep your head up
    Yep
    The best way to tackle is to take small, quick steps while you run. Get into position by squatting down with your feet shoulder-width apart and your shoulders back. Keep your head up at all times to avoid injury. Once you make contact, bring both of your arms up as if you’re hugging the other player, and continue holding on until the play is over.
    This is all well and good if you're all alone in the open field. In this case he wasn't. All while falling forward, Cox had the presence of mind to wrap up and complete the tackle instead of trying to blow him up. I understand the rule but it's a crap call. Not to mention the absolute delayed call of it makes it worse.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    I'm with you on the call being BS. He just came off an attempted block, was falling forward and made an athletic play all the while wrapping up with both arms. Of course his head was down. It was for the five yards previous to him making contact. And if the throw was higher, we're talking about a tackle made at the thighs just like everyone wants it to be. The rule needs to be modified. Don't ask me how to word it but we've lost two this year for crap calls IMO. I'm all about safety but this is also a contact sport played at high speed where at times due to circumstances out of the player's control, they don't always have full control of their body. Someone please watch the play again and tell me how Cox is supposed to play that any differently all while making the play. I'll hang up and listen.
    I agree this probably wasn't intentional and coming off the block it seemed Cox was falling forward into the next contact. That being said, I also get why you don't add the element of intent and make it one rule with one outcome. This removes any arbitration from the refs and maintains consistency across the board. There does seem to be an issue about rule clarity when Coach K can't tell you exactly why the hit ended with expulsion from the game. It should be as simple as possible to avoid confusion.

It should be clear who is initiating contact or its incidental.It should clearly be a prescribed parts of ones helmet or parts of the body hitting another's. I should be able to see a picture showing exactly effected areas. Maybe the rules should just make the head off limits at all costs. I don't care, just make everything clear and simple and leave out intent because I don't trust the refs the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    IMO the QB should be the one player where a late hit is called even on a questionable call. It should be like the targeting rule. Especially if you're going to say it's just how the game is played these days. Refs just about let this game get out of hand.

And I sure hope the coaches address the showboating crap.
    sure, but the play was called dead midway through the play and the d player let up hardly even touching ES. it could have gone either way, and i think it went the way it did as a make up call

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    I'm with you on the call being BS. He just came off an attempted block, was falling forward and made an athletic play all the while wrapping up with both arms. Of course his head was down. It was for the five yards previous to him making contact. And if the throw was higher, we're talking about a tackle made at the thighs just like everyone wants it to be. The rule needs to be modified. Don't ask me how to word it but we've lost two this year for crap calls IMO. I'm all about safety but this is also a contact sport played at high speed where at times due to circumstances out of the player's control, they don't always have full control of their body. Someone please watch the play again and tell me how Cox is supposed to play that any differently all while making the play. I'll hang up and listen.
    i watched it several times and i dont think he can play it much differnt, with that
    being said, it does not change the fact he hits the reciver in the facemask with the top of his helment

By the letter of the rule it was targeting. BUT this type of play isnt what the rule committee was trying to eliminate. Its in the grey area and they are afraid to not throw the flag in these scenarios. It is what it is.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    By the letter of the rule it was targeting. BUT this type of play isnt what the rule committee was trying to eliminate. Its in the grey area and they are afraid to not throw the flag in these scenarios. It is what it is.
    It's called common sense, this is football and guys are moving so it's impossible to not have helmet to helmet hits. Throw the flag but he should not have been ejected. There was no attempt to injure the player or hit a defenseless player. They really need to review these bs calls, players should get a warning on a hit like that instead of ejecting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison20 View Post
    It's called common sense, this is football and guys are moving so it's impossible to not have helmet to helmet hits. Throw the flag but he should not have been ejected. There was no attempt to injure the player or hit a defenseless player. They really need to review these bs calls, players should get a warning on a hit like that instead of ejecting them.
    I agree....
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."