Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: GDT: NDSU vs. Northern Iowa

Default Re: GDT: NDSU vs. Northern Iowa

The problem with reviews and replays now is you have to have fully written rules.

The targeting rule is a player safety rule and with focus on concussions now days it isn't going anywhere.

On Cox tackle it was close to a text book tackle problem was "leading" with his head. First thing to touch the receiver was crown of his helmet and that hit occurred in the facemask, high chest/shoulder area. We disparage the refs for not being accurate, well they don't call a play like that they are going to get docked big-time. Soon as I saw replay in dome I had no doubt he was gone. If we put intent into rulebook you might as well sit the player down and give him a lie detector test... How do you expect refs to rule on intent on bang bang live plays or even in slow mo? This doesn't mean we have to "like" it but we're going to have to accept these calls. Wait until they can start to see technology on if a player possibly suffered a concussion they're going to have to be removed from game until a doctor clears them....

Even Jirik post game agreed on the call that it was targeting by rule. We can argue intent all day long it doesn't change the fact the crown of his head hit high first. Doesn't matter if he was fighting off a block tripped stumbled receiver changes directions... Crown hitting first is never going to be ignored again as that is a dangerous play for a head/neck injury.

On stick late hit obviously bison players and fans aren't going to take that lightly, we are biased to protect our qb like all teams. I don't know if it got missed or if they looked at it as being incidental contact and Easton was off balance to start with so he fell over then and made it appear worse than it was. Ndsu was lucky not to get flagged for sideline infraction or warned as Kramer and couple other guys were having a tough time containing the herd (which involved a couple coaches too). So two plays later when it was even more iffy they had to call it other wise players, fans and coaches were going to come unglued. A letter of the rule call sure but it was a bit ticky tacky on that one.

All in all they let the players play I thought and that seems to be what we want them to do right?

Sent by my phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

Wentz is horseshit today.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison20 View Post
    It's called common sense, this is football and guys are moving so it's impossible to not have helmet to helmet hits. Throw the flag but he should not have been ejected. There was no attempt to injure the player or hit a defenseless player. They really need to review these bs calls, players should get a warning on a hit like that instead of ejecting them.
    How do you get this written though to indicate a player's intent was or wasn't there?

Not disagreeing on the take that he wasn't intending it. But how many players ever intended to hurt a player(s) (2009 nfc championship saints players need not to apply). If you ask me I don't think hardly anyone intends harm on any given play probably 99% of the time. Especially these days when players usually know each other fairly well.

Eliminate the ejection part of these grey area calls. If a hit is determined to be unsportsmanlike, then eject the player.

perthbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    By the letter of the rule it was targeting. BUT this type of play isnt what the rule committee was trying to eliminate. Its in the grey area and they are afraid to not throw the flag in these scenarios. It is what it is.
    This post very efficiently sums it up^

https://twitter.com/jasonschulz/stat...82944991637504

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison20 View Post
    It's called common sense, this is football and guys are moving so it's impossible to not have helmet to helmet hits. Throw the flag but he should not have been ejected. There was no attempt to injure the player or hit a defenseless player. They really need to review these bs calls, players should get a warning on a hit like that instead of ejecting them.
    Pretty much this. Ejecting him does no good and will not "reduce the number of these types of hits in the future". He was off balance due to coming off a block and did the best he could in the situation. It was probably the right call given the current rule but the current rule needs to be changed.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Wow I didn't realize how late the flag came out on that play. The ref definitely reacted to the UNI player not getting up right away. The rule definitely needs some tweaking.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    The problem with reviews and replays now is you have to have fully written rules.

The targeting rule is a player safety rule and with focus on concussions now days it isn't going anywhere.

So do you think he would end up playing this differently if the exact same scenario happened in a few weeks? I'm not sure he could and the same outcome (hit and call) would be likely.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Wow I didn't realize how late the flag came out on that play. The ref definitely reacted to the UNI player not getting up right away. The rule definitely needs some tweaking.
    I think we can all agree it's the rule that sucks and not necessarily the application in this case. It was a kneejerk reaction to the CTE scandal and Junior Seau's suicide. The whole thing is a cluster.

Jabril was coming off a block at a certain angle, he can't fucking Matrix his way back upright before he meets the receiver. It was a bad place for him to be in but the lack if discretion in the rule screws everybody.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯