Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Visiting Football Fans

80ALUM is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Visiting Football Fans

He's quite elderly so I'd guess that's the issue with the standing.

Quote Originally Posted by 80ALUM View Post
    He's quite elderly so I'd guess that's the issue with the standing.

FYI...I believe Mr. Reinke, the author of the letter to the Forum, is a former Director of Physical Plant at NDSU...was in that position when FargoDome was designed and built (it was a city project, but had much input and coordination with NDSU). He has been retired approximately 15-20 years...was a great guy to work with. Yes, fans of that age probably cannot stand for any length of time at a Bison game, so he may have a legitimate gripe. However, we all know there is no reasonable method of policing this issue anyway. Also, the culture has changed dramatically at Bison games since the D2 days when fan participation in the game was not as prevalent and crowd noise was not encouraged...a fairly dramatic change in game day culture that Mr. Reinke may not have been prepared for!

NDSUSR is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 1979 Bison View Post
    FYI...I believe Mr. Reinke, the author of the letter to the Forum, is a former Director of Physical Plant at NDSU...was in that position when FargoDome was designed and built (it was a city project, but had much input and coordination with NDSU). He has been retired approximately 15-20 years...was a great guy to work with. Yes, fans of that age probably cannot stand for any length of time at a Bison game, so he may have a legitimate gripe. However, we all know there is no reasonable method of policing this issue anyway. Also, the culture has changed dramatically at Bison games since the D2 days when fan participation in the game was not as prevalent and crowd noise was not encouraged...a fairly dramatic change in game day culture that Mr. Reinke may not have been prepared for!
    Out of simple respect for the elderly, I would have just switched rows with them.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUSR View Post
    Out of simple respect for the elderly, I would have just switched rows with them.
    That's a good idea if you are the only one standing. What if you are in row T and everyone from A to S is also standing?
    It's OK to not be OK.

80ALUM is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 1979 Bison View Post
    I know him well and yes, he was the Director of the Physical Plant and Buildings and Grounds.

He actually only gave up his season tickets a couple of years ago so I'm sure he is well aware of the D1 atmosphere . Also, attends FBS games NDSU plays in so I think his complaint is probably legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    That's a good idea if you are the only one standing. What if you are in row T and everyone from A to S is also standing?
    I could barely make it to row T when I was in my 20s. Used to establish a base camp at row M.

My original seats (which one of my buddies has taken over) are up in the double letters. We specifically went as high as possible so we could stand the whole game, but even with only a couple rows behind us, we sit down a lot because the people in the back of us sit down. Hard to enjoy ourselves when we know we are inconveniencing others (some who have had their seats since the dome's opening too.)

At some point, if this problem become bad enough, they are going to go the route of making people sit down or get out - just like they do in English soccer matches. Seems like sensible compromise would be be the best option.

https://www.sbnation.com/2010/9/3/16...football-rules

Too complicated. My Rules:

When to Stand:
    Kickoffs
    Bison on Defense
    In Frisco

When to Sit:
    Whatever is Left

People aren't required to follow the when to stand rule, but shouldn't complain about others who do.

I wish we could fill our weeks with discussion other than standing and kneeling.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

gumby013 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

This is why I am never giving up my top-row seats. Stand, sit, wall behind me don't care.
    Looking good Billy Ray!

Quote Originally Posted by gumby013 View Post
    This is why I am never giving up my top-row seats. Stand, sit, wall behind me don't care.
    Even better are those seats at the top of the aisle where there is nobody in front of you
    It's OK to not be OK.