Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PWO (accepted?): Trae Steckler

Default Re: 2018 Verbal: Trae Steckler

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Come to think of it you’re right. But if a PWO can switch commitments after signing day my guess is they won’t be mentioned in the future. Wasn’t an issue before because signing day came and went. Well now there is a second signing day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So, is the first signing day a pretend signing that doesn't count? I can't imagine this so there must be something more to this that we might never know.
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

An NLI is a binding agreement on the part of both parties, but it requires some level of scholarship offer from the school. No scholarship, no NLI. There is nothing binding a PWO to a school until they've enrolled and started practicing/attending classes. Occasionally a PWO recruit will send in a signed NLI for show, but it's a meaningless document.

Steckler received a PWO offer(no money) from NDSU and accepted it. (We know because he was announced as part of the signing class.) We know he didn't sign a binding NLI because PWOs don't sign them. We know UND came in and offered him money because he announced that he signed an NLI with UND. What we doon't know(or I don't know at least) is whether Bubba offered money before or after NDSU announced their class on signing day.

Thinking it over, there's actually a bit of a problem. There was only a 2-day NLI signing window, and I don't see how Steckler could have signed with UND before the window closed on the 22nd. I think he only posted it on his social media in the last day or two. Unless he secretly signed with UND on the 22nd and we're just hearing about it now. But if he did just sign today, then I don't believe it's legally binding until the regular signing period starting Feb. 7. Until then, he's actually just a verbal with a meaningless signed piece of paper.

Yeah something here stinks. NDSU puts him in with their signing media info. UND has nothing about him in their media info. 2 days after the signing period ends he tweets about signing with UND and now UND re-tweets it. Yeah nothing fishy here at all.....

Ya a PWO does not sign anything binding. It could happen to all of our PWO's.

The more telling thing with this is that UND is putting our Walk-on's on Scholarship. Just let that sink in for minute!!!!!

Good luck to the kid!

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Good luck to him. If he has an opportunity somewhere else and he can get a scholarship out of it I can't blame him for going that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    Ya a PWO does not sign anything binding. It could happen to all of our PWO's.

The more telling thing with this is that UND is putting our Walk-on's on Scholarship. Just let that sink in for minute!!!!!

Good luck to the kid!
    honestly, UND probably needs to do this sort of thing right now especially for In-State kids.
    College of Business Alumnus

thebigund is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

This reminds me of when we had current NFL starter Joe Schobert coming in as a walk on and he was poached last minute with a scholarship by the Badgers after he dominated the Wisconsin Shrine Game.

I was excited to see another big ND WR/TE suit up for the Bison, but totally understandable for him to go where there is immediate money being offered. Best of luck to him (except when he is up against us).
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

RedRiver is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    honestly, UND probably needs to do this sort of thing right now especially for In-State kids.
    Not probably, UND football has to do this to try and remain somewhat relevant in the sport. UND only signed 2 in-state recruits while NDSU dominated again on the recruiting path in North Dakota and Minnesota. Not to mention that all of the in-state fan and media interest is always focused on Bison football.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigund View Post
    Joe Schobert coming in as a walk on and he was poached last minute with a scholarship by the Badgers after he dominated the Wisconsin Shrine Game.
    You do understand how that is in no way the same, don't you.