Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: WIU Post Game Thoughts

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Default Re: WIU Post Game Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by tjamz View Post
    That was probably me. When I saw it live I thought it looked like he put his hands up and was backing away.
    Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    That's what it looked like to me too...
    Lol u guys must have been booing during the replay too.

Lardsin must go!

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    Lol u guys must have been booing during the replay too.
    Or maybe I just don't comprehend English.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    Deluca is still recovering from an injury and we want him to take an unnecessary risk for 2 points? For this game I was completely fine with this split second decision. Come playoff time will they probably try and score on it, yes.
    Then why is he on the field for a PAT?? From what I understand basically just 10 guys running into 9 guys full bore is all this play amounts to 90% of the time.

I'm pretty sure this wasn't a split second decision he made that I have basically no chance to make 2 points so I'm just going to chuck it. I'm guessing it was more just a reaction and that type of play is so rare his natural reaction was just to get it on the ground.

Is the PAT dead as soon as it hits the ground in this situation or would WIU have the ability to score 2 points by picking it up off the ground and pushing into endzone if it wasn't at that point? Or worse case DeLuca fumbles back into the endzone after getting out and recovered by Bison and touched down by WIU for a 1 point safety. My guess is the refs never whistled this dead until both teams obviously had given up on the play. That was the reason for the explanation they gave us.

The only other acceptable option I see is to kneel it down in the endzone. Leaving it on the field of play leaves too much open... see Texas/A&M PAT which sounds like the referees actually ruled correctly from what I understand notwithstanding all the confusion by the announcers.

I don't think DeLuca really had any intention of catching the ball. To me, it looked like a QB knocking down a pass that gets blocked up in the air by a lineman.

Go to 28:50 of this video and you see Nick go up and slam dunk the ball with both hands to the ground. This is obvious to prevent WIU from scoring two points and a "smart" play on DeLuca's part. Considering the flow of the game at that point wasn't going in NDSU's favor, the best thing to do is prevent any more momentum in their way.

Also, is #32 really 5'8"? Granted McGuire is listed at 6'3", but there seems to more than a 7" discrepancy between the two.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I don't think DeLuca really had any intention of catching the ball. To me, it looked like a QB knocking down a pass that gets blocked up in the air by a lineman.

Go to 28:50 of this video and you see Nick go up and slam dunk the ball with both hands to the ground. This is obvious to prevent WIU from scoring two points and a "smart" play on DeLuca's part. Considering the flow of the game at that point wasn't going in NDSU's favor, the best thing to do is prevent any more momentum in their way.

Also, is #32 really 5'8"? Granted McGuire is listed at 6'3", but there seems to more than a 7" discrepancy between the two.
    IIRC the blocked kicked came over the LOS right in the middle of the field. It was have been pretty hard for Nick to catch it and run and end around before being caught by a Leatherneck. I loved the heads up play. You get that play from a veteran player.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Completely agree on the showboating. But I have a feeling that was taken care of immediately and will not see it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bison20 View Post
    Klieman was talking to Davis as soon as he came to the sideline. I'm sure he got the point but that was a really dumb play, great hit but you can't stand over the guy flexing
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    Coach Bryan Shepherd was in his ear as well.
    Tanguay gave the kid an earful on the field right after it happened, even before the coaches got to him. Have a feeling Tanguay's message got through to the kid more than anything the coaches might have said. Love seeing a senior captain taking control of the situation right as it happens. Leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
    Tanguay gave the kid an earful on the field right after it happened, even before the coaches got to him. Have a feeling Tanguay's message got through to the kid more than anything the coaches might have said. Love seeing a senior captain taking control of the situation right as it happens. Leadership.
    Safe to say he will not make that mistake again.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    I actually thought to myself well Deluca isn't healthy enough to run 98 yards but wasn't going to say it.

I think the fair punt catch before the touchback before halftime is what had me wanting to just see someone make a play. It's hard to make a play when you just fair catch or touchback everything. There was one fair catch punt that the return man even new he should have tried. That kicker was good he did boom some touchbacks. It just seemed the one before halftime was a little shorter then the rest. It's just been awhile since I've seen one taken to the house. Guess I'm getting greedy.

Like I said life is good.
    Go Bison!
    That punt I completely agree with. It was a line drive and easily returnable. Could have easily gotten at least 10 yards on that one and once you get that far you might as well just finish it

I also agree Bison life is still pretty darn good. Nothing wrong with asking for more because we know there may be a game down the road where we are going to need a play made like that.

That punt I completely agree with. It was a line drive and easily returnable. Could have easily gotten at least 10 yards on that one and once you get that far you might as well just finish it

I also agree Bison life is still pretty darn good. Nothing wrong with asking for more because we know there may be a game down the road where we are going to need a play made like that.
    I’m pretty sure the punt “return” you guys are talking about was a pre-called “safe” punt defense, meaning it was called before the snap by our coaches, and included the fair catch. No changing anything despite what the punt was like because the “play” had been called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post

The only issue would be if a fumble came into play in a review. That said I agree with you I don't think he was close enough to even be considered in possession by today's rules. Would be interested to hear his take on what went thru his head on that play.

I remember in hs football during tape prep session our coach mentioning a case where PI isn't called behind the LOS, you can hit a "receiver" before the ball reaches him. The next week or so I was presented that very option and somehow I remember that going thru my head and thinking I'm not sure I could pick it off or knock ball down but knew I could give him a "hit" Before ball got there and decided to tackle him at same time. Got called for a penalty but they called it holding since I wrapped him up. Maybe was by rule, coach still wasn't too happy about the call.

I sometimes wonder if I could have pick6 that thing because there would have been nobody between me and the end zone, wasn't necessarily quick but I was one of the fastest top speed runners.

So I pretty much disproved my previous post sort of!

Sent by my phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.