Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: WIU Post Game Thoughts

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: WIU Post Game Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    The only issue would be if a fumble came into play in a review. That said I agree with you I don't think he was close enough to even be considered in possession by today's rules. Would be interested to hear his take on what went thru his head on that play.

I remember in hs football during tape prep session our coach mentioning a case where PI isn't called behind the LOS, you can hit a "receiver" before the ball reaches him. The next week or so I was presented that very option and somehow I remember that going thru my head and thinking I'm not sure I could pick it off or knock ball down but knew I could give him a "hit" Before ball got there and decided to tackle him at same time. Got called for a penalty but they called it holding since I wrapped him up. Maybe was by rule, coach still wasn't too happy about the call.

I sometimes wonder if I could have pick6 that thing because there would have been nobody between me and the end zone, wasn't necessarily quick but I was one of the fastest top speed runners.

So I pretty much disproved my previous post sort of!

Sent by my phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.
    Your coach was originally correct. Yes, you can contact an eligible receiver behind the LOS. If you had done that you would be fine, but you tackled him so you have now committed defensive holding. Sounds like the call was correct.

I saw the try being discussed. Think of the kick as a punt that can score. If the receiving team touches the ball beyond the neutral zone what happens? It's a live ball that can be covered by the kicking team. I didn't watch what happened after he batted it down, but if it ended up in the end zone, WIU could have recovered it for a 2-point score since it would essentially be a TD on a regular scrimmage kick play. It would be similar to a blocked kick that stay behind the neutral zone, recovered by the kicking team, and then advanced into the end zone. I believe the flag was for an illegal bat, but they picked it up. The best thing DeLuca should have done is to catch the ball and then make sure he doesn't carry it into the end zone. It's a weird play and one I wouldn't expect the players to react to instinctively. The best thing would have been for the receiving/defensive team to get away from the ball. Too many bad things could happen if they try to catch or recover the ball beyond the neutral zone. The exception to that is if he catches a long missed kick and return it.

Default Re: WIU Post Game Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Your coach was originally correct. Yes, you can contact an eligible receiver behind the LOS. If you had done that you would be fine, but you tackled him so you have now committed defensive holding. Sounds like the call was correct.

I saw the try being discussed. Think of the kick as a punt that can score. If the receiving team touches the ball beyond the neutral zone what happens? It's a live ball that can be covered by the kicking team. I didn't watch what happened after he batted it down, but if it ended up in the end zone, WIU could have recovered it for a 2-point score since it would essentially be a TD on a regular scrimmage kick play. It would be similar to a blocked kick that stay behind the neutral zone, recovered by the kicking team, and then advanced into the end zone. I believe the flag was for an illegal bat, but they picked it up. The best thing DeLuca should have done is to catch the ball and then make sure he doesn't carry it into the end zone. It's a weird play and one I wouldn't expect the players to react to instinctively. The best thing would have been for the receiving/defensive team to get away from the ball. Too many bad things could happen if they try to catch or recover the ball beyond the neutral zone. The exception to that is if he catches a long missed kick and return it.
    Likely correct there, I don't know at what point he contacted the ball before or after I wrapped him up(it had to of been pretty close...as in the holding didn't necessarily make him miss) as he did get a hand on it to attempt to catch it anyway...

The PAT, That's what I was worried about, oddly watching the replay it appeared the refs whistled it dead as soon as it hit the ground? Ball went beyond the neutral zone as deluca was behind the trench to watch for the fake I suppose. He was out of the end zone curious if he could have gotten by the three blockers for wiu that were right there as they probably would have little reaction time too expecting him to have the ball.

Sent by my phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.