Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Game 7: Western Illinois Preview

Default Re: Game 7: Western Illinois Preview

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    True about the McGuire vs. Streveler comparison, but for whatever reason, it seems like we have historical tendency to allow non-running QB's to be running QB's, and running QB's to be superstar running QB's. Is that a built-in weakness of our defensive scheme?
    Uff, you reminded me of the 2015 South Dakota game in the FargoDome, QB Ryan Saeger (who?)
    looked All-Conference that day against the Bison, 16 carries 92 yards from a QB not known for that kind of running. (202 passing, 2 TD’s, 1 int)

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    True about the McGuire vs. Streveler comparison, but for whatever reason, it seems like we have historical tendency to allow non-running QB's to be running QB's, and running QB's to be superstar running QB's. Is that a built-in weakness of our defensive scheme?
    True. I remember the 2015 regular season UNI game when Sawyer Kollmorgen, their statuesque QB, had two big runs. He finished the day with 7 rushes for 59 yards (which included sack yardage) in only one half before exiting with a concussion and giving way to Aaron Bailey who proceeded to run for 157 yards in the 2nd half alone. Kollmorgen finished that year with a grand total of 96 rushing yards over the 6 games he was healthy.

It's been an issue this year as well against YSU and to a certain extent even against Missouri St. USD and SDSU (although Christion hasn't run nearly as much this year for some reason) will exploit that if it doesn't get fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    At first I thought the Western Illinois game might be an early preview of what the South Dakota showdown would look like, especially when the Leathernecks were on offense. WIU’s QB, Sean McGuire, is listed at 6’ 3” 228, similar in size to the Coyote QB Streveler. But in 6 games, McGuire only has 29 carries for 96 yards. I assume that is skewed by QB sacks, (37 net yards) but it does not read like McGuire is the running threat that Mays of YSU was, or Streveler is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    True. I remember the 2015 regular season UNI game when Sawyer Kollmorgen, their statuesque QB, had two big runs. He finished the day with 7 rushes for 59 yards (which included sack yardage) in only one half before exiting with a concussion and giving way to Aaron Bailey who proceeded to run for 157 yards in the 2nd half alone. Kollmorgen finished that year with a grand total of 96 rushing yards over the 6 games he was healthy.

It's been an issue this year as well against YSU and to a certain extent even against Missouri St. USD and SDSU (although Christion hasn't run nearly as much this year for some reason) will exploit that if it doesn't get fixed.
    In regards to sacks, I don't believe they affect a QBs rushing total, but instead affect the team's passing total.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    In regards to sacks, I don't believe they affect a QBs rushing total, but instead affect the team's passing total.
    In the NFL, you are correct. In the NCAA, sacks go against rushing yards...
    Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems. (Homer Simpson)

Quote Originally Posted by bri-dog View Post
    In the NFL, you are correct. In the NCAA, sacks go against rushing yards...
    I stand corrected then. Thanks Bri-Dog, see you on Saturday (don't hang the Husker's flag).
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I stand corrected then. Thanks Bri-Dog, see you on Saturday (don't hang the Husker's flag).
    Definitely not.
    Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems. (Homer Simpson)

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    JJ brought up on Insiders yesterday they are weak versus the pass. We need Easton to be dialed in, and expect RJ and Shep to light it up.
    Same was said about YSU. Jussayin’! Also, we rarely seem to directly attack what are supposedly known weaknesses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    JJ brought up on Insiders yesterday they are weak versus the pass. We need Easton to be dialed in, and expect RJ and Shep to light it up.
    He said the exact same shit last week vs YSU. Jorgenson is a tool.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil View Post
    He said the exact same shit last week vs YSU. Jorgenson is a tool.
    Sometimes it's best to make QB throw the ball and do a controlled rush. DE flying up the field create massive running lanes. Rushing under control is required at times, YSU in Q4 was a good example. Make him throw and we win in regulation IMO. Rushing in sync is called team football, vs stat seeking football. I'd rather see a Karcz bull rush on the edge where he can shed and go either direction, than consistently missing hi and outside, opening massive lanes. Menards had the speed outside to go high and still catch a he QB before getting downfield, but no everyone does.

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Yup, YSU and WIU's pass defense stats didn't look good after Streveler torched them for 360 and 330 respectively. We threw for 113 against the Guins. We are a much better rushing team than USD but I would like to see better production in our passing game then what we showed at Youngstown. 170 to 180 yards and a 60% completion rate would be nice.